Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   Engine upgrade (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/engine-upgrade-321872/)

Kiernan Shaffer 06-15-2016 02:21 AM

Engine upgrade

i want to put a stage 2 or 3 on my car. I know that there are a lot of steps that are needed part wise. Im just looking for a list of nessicary parts it would take to put the upgrade on my engine. I am farely young and just looking for some power. Please help, thank you

YelloEye 06-15-2016 02:59 AM

Try Googling for a stage 2 or stage 3 upgrade kit for your LSJ, there are a few places that have a full parts list or you can get an eyeball on what parts are included in it. CrateEngineDepot.com should have what you're looking for.

beast124 06-15-2016 08:29 PM

It's a great place to start! I got the GM stage 2 kit then onto stage 3 and it runs good..also come other mods but the kits are readily available and you'll get some extra power 👍..stage 3 is really fun!

beast124 06-15-2016 08:31 PM

Also parts..stage 2-pulley, smaller belt, larger injectors, tune.
Stage 3-smaller pulley, dual pass end plate and new ecu

ionRL_585 06-16-2016 06:27 AM

When I had my Redline I had 2.8 pulley, 60#, Stage 2 Belt, Cobra Heat Exchanger and HPT hy New Era. Then I went with 80# with E85 and Trifecta. Good times!

beast124 06-16-2016 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ionRL_585 (Post 7611982)
When I had my Redline I had 2.8 pulley, 60#, Stage 2 Belt, Cobra Heat Exchanger and HPT hy New Era. Then I went with 80# with E85 and Trifecta. Good times!

How'd u like the 2.8 pulley? I'm looking to upgrade

beast124 06-17-2016 04:14 AM

Here another thing to consider..how about an exhaust? And this is a thing I've been pondering for years now..for me I have everything except a header which I'm assuming is ported..I've heard mixed things on the stock header flow to certain points etc..do us staged guys need a header? Even with a smaller pulley?

Staged07SS 06-17-2016 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by beast124 (Post 7612078)
Here another thing to consider..how about an exhaust? And this is a thing I've been pondering for years now..for me I have everything except a header which I'm assuming is ported..I've heard mixed things on the stock header flow to certain points etc..do us staged guys need a header? Even with a smaller pulley?

Ported manifold will support 350whp. Tested back in the GM Racing days.

I run a ported extrude honed manifold and there are no signs of restriction from it on any of my dyno graphs.

The exhaust side is were you need to work on with the LSJ. Exhaust ported head, free flow manifold, downpipe, and catback. That's were the gains are.

beast124 06-17-2016 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS (Post 7612082)
Ported manifold will support 350whp. Tested back in the GM Racing days. I run a ported extrude honed manifold and there are no signs of restriction from it on any of my dyno graphs. The exhaust side is were you need to work on with the LSJ. Exhaust ported head, free flow manifold, downpipe, and catback. That's were the gains are.

Gotcha thanks Jeff! On my car I have a zzp down pipe and a vibrant exhaust all of which is very loud! By the looks of things and my experience in cars all these years it's all 3 inch..the question lies on the header which looks stock but I suppose it may be a ported one? Also u have the ported one right?

Staged07SS 06-20-2016 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by beast124 (Post 7612150)
Gotcha thanks Jeff! On my car I have a zzp down pipe and a vibrant exhaust all of which is very loud! By the looks of things and my experience in cars all these years it's all 3 inch..the question lies on the header which looks stock but I suppose it may be a ported one? Also u have the ported one right?

Yes. Ported GMPP extrude honed manifold.

beast124 06-21-2016 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS (Post 7612362)
Yes. Ported GMPP extrude honed manifold.

Cool I'm thinking I have the same but haven't had it off..but from what I read the stock header is good for the most part up to a certain power

Staged07SS 06-21-2016 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by beast124 (Post 7612495)
Cool I'm thinking I have the same but haven't had it off..but from what I read the stock header is good for the most part up to a certain power

The stock manifold can/will support 350whp.

You may have a GMPP extrude honed manifold, but its not ported like mine.

Sent mine out for some extra work and increased flow. :cool:

beast124 06-22-2016 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS (Post 7612501)
The stock manifold can/will support 350whp. You may have a GMPP extrude honed manifold, but its not ported like mine. Sent mine out for some extra work and increased flow. :cool:

Gotcha so really no point to consider a short header or any others like the long tubes etc for my set up anyways?

Staged07SS 06-22-2016 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by beast124 (Post 7612592)
Gotcha so really no point to consider a short header or any others like the long tubes etc for my set up anyways?

GMPP properly ported will outflow any of the shorty headers on the market.

As for long tubes, no one has proven on here that they produce a substantial amount of power over any other type of header.

For your GMR S3 setup, you are prob currently in the 260whp range. A ported manifold would be more than enough for you now, and future goals.

beast124 06-22-2016 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS (Post 7612594)
GMPP properly ported will outflow any of the shorty headers on the market. As for long tubes, no one has proven on here that they produce a substantial amount of power over any other type of header. For your GMR S3 setup, you are prob currently in the 260whp range. A ported manifold would be more than enough for you now, and future goals.

Awesome thanks as always Jeff much appreciated! So a recurring issue came up today that has happened before...under load and around 3500-4000 I have some like break up/hesitation/misfiring going on..now this is on the 93 tune..but if I have 100 octane in there and HOM on no problems whatsoever! I was thinking well maybe the plugs are fouled but then how can it run fine on 100 octane and not skip a beat performance wise..if I remember we even looked into this at the dealer before and no codes and the car was just inspected! Just looking for some ideas help at this point..any help would be appreciated! John

Staged07SS 06-22-2016 09:12 AM

Check your plug gap.

beast124 06-23-2016 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS (Post 7612600)
Check your plug gap.

Will do..the plugs were put in last January and were the NGK br7 v powers..is it possible they're shot already? It also stumbled and misfired into 3rd..anything about 3500 it's misbehaving badly but still boosting

Staged07SS 06-23-2016 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by beast124 (Post 7612691)
Will do..the plugs were put in last January and were the NGK br7 v powers..is it possible they're shot already? It also stumbled and misfired into 3rd..anything about 3500 it's misbehaving badly but still boosting

I never liked those copper plugs.

Some swear by them. My car does not like them.

I run the NGK one step colder iridiums.

In fact my car came with iridiums from the factory.

Stumpalump 06-25-2016 02:56 PM

You could also run the ZZP high output coils. That cleaned mine right up on top end. It shows out of stock but would be worth a call. If they are not going to produce another run of them I'll sell you mine. $500. Each. They helped mine that much because you can run a wide gap and pump the throttle at high RPM without it breaking up. ZZP High Voltage Coil Packs-LSJ - Ignition

07MetallicSC 06-25-2016 03:39 PM

lookie here

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/part...r-sale-321462/

beast124 06-27-2016 09:34 AM

Thanks for the help guys..yeah same thing on 93 octane gas on the 93 tune running like crap just bogging on shifts, hesitation, breaking up and misfiring around 35-4000 in like 3-5th..so today ran in basically dry..back to the 100 octane pump..race gas tune on..and no breaking up..pulling hard as hell and very impressive! Nice and smooth through all gears..I'm lost on this one..a little while ago I can remember running it on 93 with the base 93 tune with the run in with the corvette and it ran good that day and time period..sorry for the long post but race gas and HOM zero problems except slow drivers in my way lol

jdbaugh1 06-27-2016 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by beast124 (Post 7613115)
Thanks for the help guys..yeah same thing on 93 octane gas on the 93 tune running like crap just bogging on shifts, hesitation, breaking up and misfiring around 35-4000 in like 3-5th..so today ran in basically dry..back to the 100 octane pump..race gas tune on..and no breaking up..pulling hard as hell and very impressive! Nice and smooth through all gears..I'm lost on this one..a little while ago I can remember running it on 93 with the base 93 tune with the run in with the corvette and it ran good that day and time period..sorry for the long post but race gas and HOM zero problems except slow drivers in my way lol

When I was running straight 91 octane with no methanol/water I think i was getting detonation and it would act like this. Didn't do it until the higher gears put enough load on the engine like yours. I also had my knock sensor unplugged though. With the knock sensor plugged in the ECU pulled enough timing to prevent it. Is your knock sensor plugged in and working correctly? Is your IC pump working correctly?

Staged07SS 06-27-2016 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by beast124 (Post 7613115)

knock detection is pulled back a bit in H.O.M., because generally the higher octane has higher knock prevention.

I said it before, def check your plugs and their gaps. also wouldn't hurt cleaning the throttle body, maf sensor, and injectors.

When was the last time u changed the fuel filter?

johvans 06-27-2016 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS (Post 7613121)
I said it before, def check your plugs and their gaps. also wouldn't hurt cleaning the throttle body, maf sensor, and injectors.

When was the last time u changed the fuel filter?

THIS. Crazy how people throw mods at a car without the normal maintenance activities and expect them to run their best. Not a knock on the OP by any means. But maintenance in a performance car goes a long way.

NomoNissan 07-11-2016 08:52 AM

Gotta keep up on them plugs I run NGK bkr7e, I change them and the oil at the same time, it's better to just spend the 12$ and change the plugs.