Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   First Cat Now This!!! give me a break!!! (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/first-cat-now-give-me-break-95685/)

zipo1200 02-09-2008 09:20 PM

First Cat Now This!!! give me a break!!!

i am not going to give up on my ss s/c, but i will tell you that my 2.4 never had problems!!!.

most of you know that i have had a lot of problems with my car before and it ended up to be the catylic converter which was fixed under warrenty :)

but now i have THIS!!!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nEPw78lAPl8
can someone tell me what the hell is going on here?!!!!

also, after i had the catylic converter changed out i requested a re-learn on the pcm and they said no!, that the os was up to date and nothing would change on a re-learn...

after i had this noise i took it to my gm dealer and asked one of the guys at the service desk to take a look at her ( right out the door) and he said no, that it would have to make that noise when it came. i told him that it probably wount becuase everytime i go to the dealer they say its fine :cussing:

first! anyone know what this problem is?
second! advice for the dealer!

thatotherguy 02-09-2008 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by zipo1200 (Post 1935508)
i am not going to give up on my ss s/c, but i will tell you that my 2.4 never had problems!!!.

most of you know that i have had a lot of problems with my car before and it ended up to be the catylic converter which was fixed under warrenty :)

but now i have THIS!!!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nEPw78lAPl8
can someone tell me what the hell is going on here?!!!!

also, after i had the catylic converter changed out i requested a re-learn on the pcm and they said no!, that the os was up to date and nothing would change on a re-learn...

after i had this noise i took it to my gm dealer and asked one of the guys at the service desk to take a look at her ( right out the door) and he said no, that it would have to make that noise when it came. i told him that it probably wount becuase everytime i go to the dealer they say its fine :cussing:

first! anyone know what this problem is?
second! advice for the dealer!

Sounds like you broke something inside your motor.. check the little plug on the left side of the motor about the pulley tensior and unscrew that and see if that bolt broke off, if thats fine do a compression test because is sounds like one or more of your piston/rings went bye bye

elecblue06 02-09-2008 09:26 PM

sounds like a leak or the cat is fucked up... buti can't be sure ^^^^ i dunno about tha ti thought that initially too but once he moved the camera to the back of the engine by the header it got louder

thatotherguy 02-09-2008 09:26 PM

Oh yeah i forgot this it could be one of your fins inside of you supercharged that broke off thats what happened to mine before and i got the dealer to get another one

thedubsack85 02-09-2008 09:27 PM

sounds like either a floated rocker or fryed piston ring's.. that is NOT normal.

zipo1200 02-09-2008 09:35 PM

well here is thie thing. that noise! happens at a 60/40 chance. yesterday it didnt do it. after i install my ingalls today it started all over again. doesnt seem to have any problems at boost. where ever i can grab traction that is. i just got back from my local walymart. and it started sounding rough and the exhuast didnt sound to goo either......

i think it got louader towards the header becuase the mic got closer to the top of the head. its was really loud where the plug are

elecblue06 02-09-2008 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by zipo1200 (Post 1935541)
well here is thie thing. that noise! happens at a 60/40 chance. yesterday it didnt do it. after i install my ingalls today it started all over again. doesnt seem to have any problems at boost. where ever i can grab traction that is. i just got back from my local walymart. and it started sounding rough and the exhuast didnt sound to goo either......

i think it got louader towards the header becuase the mic got closer to the top of the head. its was really loud where the plug are

well then lol thats a totally different story lol.. being that i missheard i'm gonna go with your engine has some major issues you need to get it into the dealership ASAP just drive over there one day when it's making the noise

thatotherguy 02-09-2008 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by zipo1200 (Post 1935541)

did the exhaust sound like it was camed? i would stop driving it and take it somwhere besides the dealer and let them look at it.. dealership as assholes.

campo165 02-09-2008 09:38 PM

sounds like something rattling...my car made that EXACT noise once. Know what it was? I blew a little holes in the top of the DP and little pieces of metal rattled around in there. It got louder with more power. Well eventually my car ended up sounding like a race car cause the hole got so big.

I sorta feel like its just something loose, cause everything everyone else mentioned SHOULD throw some codes.

Deathcult 02-09-2008 09:39 PM

=O

holy hell mine sounds the SAME way too only at times tho...and its freaks me out but its not THAT loud. i always thought it was the supercharger working more because it would be louder for me at the pulley itself.

if we scan the car with HPtuners, would HP tuners throw us a code maybe?

thatotherguy 02-09-2008 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Deathcult (Post 1935553)
=O

holy hell mine sounds the SAME way too only at times tho...and its freaks me out but its not THAT loud. i always thought it was the supercharger working more because it would be louder for me at the pulley itself.

if we scan the car with HPtuners, would HP tuners throw us a code maybe?

not sure but it could because if you had a hole in your downpipe then it would probably throw a code something to do wiht the exhaust. but not sure on this ?

zipo1200 02-09-2008 09:47 PM

to elec blue. my first post mentions that i took it to the dealer when it was really loud and they wouldnt look at it!!! period. and the reason is and i qoute "it has to make this noise when the mechanic looks at it"
to everyone -> um, something broken? first i thought that this could be an advabnce retard but then thought that it should have corrected itself. i will be hooking it up to a scanner tommarow but i doubt i will be able to get anything since gm has built these cars that the cel wount go off for Major problems..... it didnt even go off intell 3 days after by cat blow apart. it might be just me, but it seems gm avoids everything to do with the lsj's. like they know something i dont!

this is the only car i have running at the moment, so parking it isnt an option!

anyone else have any other thoughts?

thatotherguy 02-09-2008 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by zipo1200 (Post 1935572)
to elec blue. my first post mentions that i took it to the dealer when it was really loud and they wouldnt look at it!!! period. and the reason is and i qoute "it has to make this noise when the mechanic looks at it"
to everyone -> um, something broken? first i thought that this could be an advabnce retard but then thought that it should have corrected itself. i will be hooking it up to a scanner tommarow but i doubt i will be able to get anything since gm has built these cars that the cel wount go off for Major problems..... it didnt even go off intell 3 days after by cat blow apart. it might be just me, but it seems gm avoids everything to do with the lsj's. like they know something i dont!

this is the only car i have running at the moment, so parking it isnt an option!

anyone else have any other thoughts?

is your exhaust idle sound different? like it has cams? could be a chipped piston because gm doesnt seem to put very good pistons in the lsj but they have fordge parts on the bottom end stock. dont understand that

zipo1200 02-09-2008 09:53 PM

oh god dont tell me that,lol (thatotherguy) i am going to go outside and start it again and take another video.

nramlow2006 02-09-2008 09:54 PM

ok.... b4 you think its over... check the heat shield under your cat its mounted to the trany i broke mine

thatotherguy 02-09-2008 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by zipo1200 (Post 1935584)
oh god dont tell me that,lol (thatotherguy) i am going to go outside and start it again and take another video.

lol.. yeah take a video or the exhaust and the left side of the motor and the back, front and right side

zipo1200 02-09-2008 10:01 PM

ok i have a video but it not making that noise. though i heard a different note from the exhuast on rev. i am leaving her running and i will see if she starts making that noise.

i am uploading the video now

thatotherguy 02-09-2008 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by zipo1200 (Post 1935598)
ok i have a video but it not making that noise. though i heard a different note from the exhuast on rev. i am leaving her running and i will see if she starts making that noise.

i am uploading the video now

Ok. well like nramlow2006 said check the heat sheild to see if its rattling, is thats not it then its the motor itself

jeremie 02-09-2008 10:28 PM

is there any oil in that fucking thing?!

outtamymind 02-09-2008 10:31 PM

ya check the heat shield and if thats fine i would be money that its your timing chain rattling around.

zipo1200 02-09-2008 10:46 PM

haha, i appreciate the advice everyone. but really if you listen to the video that is definatly not a heat shield!. i was thinging something to do with the timing, but its hard to say. i am having trouble with vids right now. but i will post more tommarrow. it goes into gm on the 19th. but with this problem, i want to see if anyone can reconize this problem, so when i take it in, i generally know what i am talking about.

um, i left her running and went outside and rev it up slightly a couple times and noticed that the computer had a hard time with idle down after the rev. i dont think the -32C temp is helping, but since the car is warmed up i dont think this would be a problem.

so loud noise in valve tran area
weird exhuast note
hard time idle after rev

the only thing i can come up with is
sensor
timing

or more dissapointing broken parts, but i dont see how this is since its been different behavors over the last week or so. so warn parts at 17k?

hahaha, i dont think i have good luck with these balts :p

oh and yes there is oil in the vehicle. this also brings up on another qoiute from the serrvice guy! "sounds like oil trouble in the head" <-HOLD ON A SEC.....is there a typical problem with this?

what directs the oil into the head on these balts? anyone know.

only 2 main methods i know of to get out around the engine, crank splash, and oil pump

Degashoot 02-09-2008 10:49 PM

It sounds really bad.
Sounds like you have a Diesel SS/SC :p

Seriously though, get that sorted out before you put more (highway) miles on it.
Please keep us updated on this so we know what to do if/when we encounter the same issue.

Don't give up on the SS/SC !!

Switt23 02-09-2008 10:50 PM

sounds expensive.

Take it to a different GM dealer, tell them your having problem with a different problem or that you had work done on the cat and you think the heat shield is rattling to get them to actually look at it...

The GM dealers around me are like what you said. One place won't even look at it if it's got so much as an aftermarket antenna on it, and another dealer would let you roll in with the valve cover taken off and act like it was no biggy.

QuickSilver_SS 02-09-2008 11:07 PM

Sounds like a lifter not pumping up to me almost. Just my thought, and or the top end of your valve train starving for oil !! I'd recomened not even driving the car untill it is fixed if you can help it !! Get someone to check the oil pressure on it when the noise occurs !

LOW HHR 02-09-2008 11:12 PM

supercharger bad