2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

GMR head port vs full race port

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts
GMR head port vs full race port

What are the bennefits to a full port job by say Euthanasia ( just for the example of this thread ) over just a exhaust gasket GMR style port matching?

One better than the other?

If so why?

Looking for comments by people who have done the head builds.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Thread Killer
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cant really speak for the LSJ crowd but i had my head ported and polished. Basically just a gasket match and SLIGHTLY opening things up. Nothing too crazy. I noticed my spool time got slightly better but that could also be from a few other things during the engine build.

I would say a full port job would be better as it opens up alot more air flow and really smooths stuff out tho
Old 11-25-2012, 10:29 AM

In for answers
Old 11-25-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most places don't port anything bigger than the manifold runners. it would be pointless. Everyone ports the same match the manifolds, and if you want an angle valve job they do that also.

Last edited by MP Cobalt; 11-25-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
the balance on an s/c LSJ between inlet and exhaust, led the GM racing guys to only do the exhaust port. I am thinking they had the engineering capability, the science, testing and money to know whats best.

LNF is very different and its been said many times, leave the ports alone. Check ZZP posts on this, they may not have GM engineering etc, but they have done a lot of dyno runs and engine work.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Thread Killer
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
the balance on an s/c LSJ between inlet and exhaust, led the GM racing guys to only do the exhaust port. I am thinking they had the engineering capability, the science, testing and money to know whats best.

LNF is very different and its been said many times, leave the ports alone. Check ZZP posts on this, they may not have GM engineering etc, but they have done a lot of dyno runs and engine work.
Ports as in the "exhaust ports" or dont do any porting at all or what? Elaborate on this please, sir
Old 11-25-2012, 11:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FrossB
Ports as in the "exhaust ports" or dont do any porting at all or what? Elaborate on this please, sir
I would think porting for the LNF would effect velocity
Old 11-25-2012, 11:44 AM
Former Vendor

leave the LNF head ports alone. seems reasonable to me. Zoomer says porting for more port flow on an LNF loses power in reality. Hard to challenge that without doing your own research.

This is an LSJ thred/question however.
from Omega5 on redline forums back in early 2009, he is a very knowledgeable and thinking guy from Saskatchewan:

"Before going into too much detail, there are a few things about SC'd engines that you need to know.
1) Higher exhaust flow in an SC'd will yield more power. That can be achieved in three ways; higher port flow, higher valve lift, or longer lobe duration.
2) The power delivery of the combustion cycle actually happens later than in a turbo or NA engine. Opening the exhaust valve too soon, can actually hurt performance, as a majority of the energy is being lost out the exhaust.
3) .... I won't go into that now.... it's a camshaft thing.

With that said; we know that a longer duration can potentially hurt performance. Therefore we should achieve maximum exhaust flow via higher lift and higher port flow.

It has been shown in the past (with other SC'd engines) that the ideal exhaust flow (rule of thumb) should be ~80% of the intake flow... for higher boosted engines, that can be upward of 85%. It has also been shown that to get the optimal exhaust flow ratio, it can be beneficial to sacrifice intake flow.
Of course there are various factors that come into play when finding the optimal port flow, so don't take the above numbers to heart.

Now... I know that some people call BS on the I/E ratio stuff.... however think of it like this; what goes in, must come out. Properly balancing your intake and exhaust is very critical.
"
Old 11-25-2012, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
leave the LNF head ports alone. seems reasonable to me. Zoomer says porting for more port flow on an LNF loses power in reality. Hard to challenge that without doing your own research.

This is an LSJ thred/question however.
from Omega5 on redline forums back in early 2009, he is a very knowledgeable and thinking guy from Saskatchewan:

"Before going into too much detail, there are a few things about SC'd engines that you need to know.
1) Higher exhaust flow in an SC'd will yield more power. That can be achieved in three ways; higher port flow, higher valve lift, or longer lobe duration.
2) The power delivery of the combustion cycle actually happens later than in a turbo or NA engine. Opening the exhaust valve too soon, can actually hurt performance, as a majority of the energy is being lost out the exhaust.
3) .... I won't go into that now.... it's a camshaft thing.

With that said; we know that a longer duration can potentially hurt performance. Therefore we should achieve maximum exhaust flow via higher lift and higher port flow.

It has been shown in the past (with other SC'd engines) that the ideal exhaust flow (rule of thumb) should be ~80% of the intake flow... for higher boosted engines, that can be upward of 85%. It has also been shown that to get the optimal exhaust flow ratio, it can be beneficial to sacrifice intake flow.
Of course there are various factors that come into play when finding the optimal port flow, so don't take the above numbers to heart.

Now... I know that some people call BS on the I/E ratio stuff.... however think of it like this; what goes in, must come out. Properly balancing your intake and exhaust is very critical.
"
Basically with all that said most turbo cars want a more forced air into the turbo since it's exhaust driven I'm assuming and if you port the head it will actually slow that air down doing into the turbo. Now for SC it's opposite want to get as much air through? Correct me if I'm wrong but that's my understanding of forced inductions
Old 11-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts
This shouldnt be too expensive then if thats all thats being done is opening up the exhaust ports.

John what are your thoughts on doing exhaust ports only, supertechs, new timing chain and tensioner (100kmiles) and neutral balance shafts, along with new head studs, and oem headgasket?

Mess with pistons too while the heads off or no?
Old 11-25-2012, 04:57 PM

subd
Old 11-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
This shouldnt be too expensive then if thats all thats being done is opening up the exhaust ports.

John what are your thoughts on doing exhaust ports only, supertechs, new timing chain and tensioner (100kmiles) and neutral balance shafts, along with new head studs, and oem headgasket?

if you re work the cylinder head and valves without at least honing and replacing the piston rings (assuming the pistons are in good shape) is a good idea. Otherwise, you will surely start to use oil with freshly sealing valves and worn pistonrings.

Its a dd car why fool around with the balance shafts, its not like u are trying to get the last 2% of the total available power that can be extracted from the engine. The NBS change is a lot of time and some money. Better spend ur money elsewhere in my opinion.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC

if you replace the rings and or slugs and rings you might as well just pull it and get it honed till the bores are straight with no taper and everything is straight you can call diamond up and get pistons made to your new bore size with rings so you will have the correct piston to wall clearances as for the head you might as well get the guides checked while your at it if they are to loose it will pull oil through the guides and create problems and i would just do a ex port only give ljsion a shout he will do you right
nbs shafts arent hard to put in with the engine in the car
Old 11-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Former Vendor

^^^ agreed. save for NBS. pita. lol
Old 11-25-2012, 05:50 PM

BS delete FTW
Old 11-25-2012, 11:05 PM

better yet put a electric water pump on and leave the chain off the engine.