2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Help understanding all the HEAT EXCHANGERS (information thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Help understanding all the HEAT EXCHANGERS (information thread)

ebay cx racing motor sports (big or small)- $149 ($200 bucks all said and done. Cheapest however using my way is little bit on the ghetto side)
zzp performance kit- $169.99 (if your going to buy a kit i would buy this one because it seems to be the best choice)
fast98/ott performance kit- $235.00 (too small & too much money. also the zzp kit is bigger and includes more also works with stock h/e or if yo u want delete it)
Cobalt-Addictions kit- $359.99 (highest price and the oldest original h/e. they haven't changed there prices and it is too expensive)

If you were to try to find the best priced big heat exchanger to fit the whole front nicely ebay big cx h/e (however it is only the h/e not a kit) it would be the best using flash13brandon's how to guide with using the stock brackets that are already on the car. no fabrications needed. If you don't think you can follow his how to guide I would go with ZZP's kit. It would be the best because he has the lowest price. I highly recommend them if you want or need a full kit. cobalt addictions is a very nice kit just smaller than the other competition and a little bit more expensive. However the best deal would be going on ebay and or going to cx racing motor sports directly and buy the big cx h/e from them for $149 then shipping would be like $26 bucks and then you just need to put it on following flash13brandon's how to guide or mine if you want to keep the stock h/e. Over The Top Performance and Cobalt-Addiction you delete the stock h/e and then use the after market one only(just like flash's). i wanted to keep the stock h/e + the big cx h/e.(live in jersey it is cool/cold 3/4 out of the year) so i run both dual h/e's. more coolant is better and if you live anywhere that it is cool or cold it would ultimately be the best for you. however if you want to do it like most people then follow flash13brandon's how to guide and that way would be the least expensive.

if you have any other questions you can pm me.

useful links to help you pick what you want to get

ZZP's KIT: (recommend if you want to buy a full kit)http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...ts1.php?id=895 (i do not have it and nor would i buy something from them again because my catless down pipe broke from them and never got anything back and just cut my loss's):

flash13brandon's[/B] how to guide [B]w/o any fabrications using the big cx h/e from ebay (stock h/e delete like ottp or most sites do) https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-guide-43/how-install-cx-racing-h-e-w-no-fabrications-125996/

my how to guide using stock h/e and ebay big cx h/e(sort of ghetto and have to cut 1inch by 1inch into the crash bar)(please do not use regular zip ties use the bolts i listed as it will offer more support) https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-guide-43/how-install-mount-big-cx-heat-exchanger-124669/

big cx h/e from CX RACING MOTOR SPORTS (they are the people who make the cx h/e that other sites decided to buy from them and sell it as a complete kit)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Heat-...spagenameZWDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Heat-...spagenameZWDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Heat-...spagenameZWD1V

cobalt addiction's(click on link then forced induction)- http://cobalt-addiction.com/performance.htm

Last edited by CBodnar; 09-07-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im impressed.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:01 PM

great write-up, im thinkin bout gettin a heat exchanger in the near future...
Old 08-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Banned

You left out the $50 stock Cobra HE.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice write up. I vote for sticky! And BTW, that's my yellow cobalt in the first link for ebay! Thanks CXRacing!
Old 08-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice write up Chris.

When the car gets back up and running I will most definitely be doing preventive mods, blowing motors sucks.

Originally Posted by Dainslaif
You left out the $50 stock Cobra HE.
Well, that h/e price varies. It's really hard to find them for 50 dollars nowadays.
Banned

very nice!! sticky??
Old 08-24-2008, 01:41 PM

i agree sticky icky
Old 08-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ralliartist
Well, that h/e price varies. It's really hard to find them for 50 dollars nowadays.
True but they're still quite a bit less than $150 + shipping and work quite well. I got mine for about 80 shipped.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
You should seperate this into two sections. The Cxracing HE is only that, all of the vendors offerings are kits. And our kit is designed to work either with or without the stock heat exchanger.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by ralliartist
Very nice write up. I vote for sticky! And BTW, that's my yellow cobalt in the first link for ebay! Thanks CXRacing!
That is always cool when you see that thousands of others see your car!

And I only have the small CX one lol
Old 08-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fast98
You should seperate this into two sections. The Cxracing HE is only that, all of the vendors offerings are kits. And our kit is designed to work either with or without the stock heat exchanger.
i wrote after your kit and zzp's and c/a's KIT. meaning it is a kit. i never put kit after cx h/e. also cx h/e is the company you offer(you just offer the small one). you bought your h/e you offer from cx racing motor sports. if someone would like to do it cheaper and use the big cx h/e not the small cx h/e you offer i am just providing them with this option. as you told me in pm's a while back when i was going to buy your kit you buy from them then the big thing about your kit is "your custom brackets". to me i couldn't afford your kit so i did it for less. you can say my brackets aren't as good however they are L brackets from home depot with pre-drilled holes. also i can stand by it since i live in new jersey the pot hole state that the way i fabricated mine is on there and is fine (holds up fine).

i am just giving people more options. if someone wants to have the big cx h/e and fill there whole front bumper flash brandon's how to guide is truly great and perfect for people who want to get it on there for less than $199 bucks using the stock brackets that came with the car. no hassles, no extra fabrications needed.

also if people do not want to do it them self they can choose from your kit, zzp's, or cobalt-addiction.

for me following a how to guide and ordering the kit from a company is almost the same depending on the how to guide.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by CBodnar
i wrote after your kit and zzp's and c/a's KIT. meaning it is a kit. i never put kit after cx h/e. also cx h/e is the company you offer(you just offer the small one). you bought your h/e you offer from cx racing motor sports. if someone would like to do it cheaper and use the big cx h/e not the small cx h/e you offer i am just providing them with this option. as you told me in pm's a while back when i was going to buy your kit you buy from them then the big thing about your kit is "your custom brackets". to me i couldn't afford your kit so i did it for less. you can say my brackets aren't as good however they are L brackets from home depot with pre-drilled holes. also i can stand by it since i live in new jersey the pot hole state that the way i fabricated mine is on there and is fine (holds up fine).

i am just giving people more options. if someone wants to have the big cx h/e and fill there whole front bumper flash brandon's how to guide is truly great and perfect for people who want to get it on there for less than $199 bucks using the stock brackets that came with the car. no hassles, no extra fabrications needed.

also if people do not want to do it them self they can choose from your kit, zzp's, or cobalt-addiction.

for me following a how to guide and ordering the kit from a company is almost the same depending on the how to guide.

well put, I'm super impressed with your professionalism in your response. You've really grown on me.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Banned

what you want me on you?
Old 08-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I just think the kit should be in bold or something, it's easy to overlook. Also our new HE will make the bigger cx look small, look for it in about 2 weeks.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Banned

also another reason why i didn't separate them is because the other company are still just a kit. they do not come with everything to get it to work meaning kit.

the big cx h/e from cx racing motor sports you use the how to guide almost the same as a kit and you save money and get the parts yourself.

yours you buy the kit which you already went out and got the items also your brackets. also still need to go buy coolant just like if you were to do it yourself. to me there is no difference between a kit and following a how to guide.

if you buy the kit the company has already gone out and bought the items for you. if you enjoy having fun and paying cheaper you can follow a how to guide and go get the items for less and the price in stores
Old 08-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

CBodnar, i agree with the just being a kit thing, but fast98 does have a point, try bolding the kit part, i missed it, but i already knew they were kits, an inexperienced guy may just go and buy the individual H/E and then start the hundredth thread asking what he needs to install.

otherwise, i vote for sticky, and keep it updated

you may want to add the extra coolant reservoir options, like Option B, or the Hatrickstu Auxilary Coolant Reservoir Mod. this could make an excellent cooling info thread. meth is a different category however.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ls1fbody
CBodnar, i agree with the just being a kit thing, but fast98 does have a point, try bolding the kit part, i missed it, but i already knew they were kits, an inexperienced guy may just go and buy the individual H/E and then start the hundredth thread asking what he needs to install.

otherwise, i vote for sticky, and keep it updated

you may want to add the extra coolant reservoir options, like Option B, or the Hatrickstu Auxilary Coolant Reservoir Mod. this could make an excellent cooling info thread. meth is a different category however.
i would re-do it probably if i was going to add all that and write Cooling mod's help or everyone.

the word kit is after the h/e which are a kit. i haven't touched or updated what i first posted in this thread as i took the time and everything i posted is correct and true.

to me and all the ccs.net members you want your best bang for your buck. thanks to zzp they have provided that and also cx racing from there website or ebay have provided us with that also. both great choices
Old 08-25-2008, 10:19 AM

Yup, running my $20 cobra, with free brackets...... soo my $20 > $160!

And yes I have cooler IATs than you do as well!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:21 AM

subscribed
Old 08-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Supporting Vendor

The HE from ZZPerformance is built for the cobalt specifically. The brackets are built into the HE so that you don't have to drill holes or use separate brackets. The install is a piece of cake and it's made to fill the entire front of the car. It comes with hose & clamps so there is nothing extra you have to go buy. It is large enough to be used by itself or you can run it inline with the OEM exchanger which is the easiest way to install it. Fittings are 3/4" in/out. It's 100% aluminum and backed by a company you can email or call or PM and get a hold of any time. It works with dual pass or stock setups and gives a nice drop in IATs. With what's currently availlable at the pricing I've seen, I can't think of a reason to buy anything else.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Zooomer
The HE from ZZPerformance is built for the cobalt specifically. The brackets are built into the HE so that you don't have to drill holes or use separate brackets. The install is a piece of cake and it's made to fill the entire front of the car. It comes with hose & clamps so there is nothing extra you have to go buy. It is large enough to be used by itself or you can run it inline with the OEM exchanger which is the easiest way to install it. Fittings are 3/4" in/out. It's 100% aluminum and backed by a company you can email or call or PM and get a hold of any time. It works with dual pass or stock setups and gives a nice drop in IATs. With what's currently availlable at the pricing I've seen, I can't think of a reason to buy anything else.
great stuff man. i put you in the first post in this thread. quoted you on that. my dp broke from you guys however on this one i think you guys did a great job.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:38 PM

Just a question on the difference between the big and small CX Racing heat exchangers...

Which one would be better in terms of cooler IAT's?

The big one would hold more coolant and has a bigger surface area, but the small one is a dual-pass unit and would make 2 passes of the coolant before sending it back.

I have the smaller one (bought because it is a dual-pass) but this was just a quick question.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tennpenn83
Just a question on the difference between the big and small CX Racing heat exchangers...

Which one would be better in terms of cooler IAT's?

The big one would hold more coolant and has a bigger surface area, but the small one is a dual-pass unit and would make 2 passes of the coolant before sending it back.

I have the smaller one (bought because it is a dual-pass) but this was just a quick question.
both are heat exchangers. you can run the big or small one with the stock h/e or separately.

the bigger one with my experience is more coolant and you get lower iat's. also you mean you bought dual-pass and then added on the small cx h/e? not really sure what your trying to say.

Quick Reply: Help understanding all the HEAT EXCHANGERS (information thread)