Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   Idle problem CURE!!!!!!!! Finally!! (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/idle-problem-cure-finally-116051/)

bgbearcatfan 06-13-2008 02:35 PM

yah same here... hopefully the tuner around here can figure out how to fix that...

cblt12 06-13-2008 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by bgbearcatfan (Post 2463470)
the issue with the ac being on and the rpm's bouncing all over the place, will most likely need the reflash from the dealer to fix it. I experience the same thing, and it wasn't from a dirty tb

everyones idel issues are worse when the ac is onl. have you actaully taken off the tb and cleaned it? or are you just saying it needs a reflash because that is what you have heard here?

Originally Posted by Mudcrutch (Post 2463505)
hmm interesting info.. problem is I am custom tuned.. no dealer reflash for me.

im custom tuned and i bet a lot of people in here are. its not a tuning problem its a cleaning problem

Originally Posted by bgbearcatfan (Post 2463515)
yah same here... hopefully the tuner around here can figure out how to fix that...

we have spent hours on the computer and nothing worked, i tried this and it was perfect for the first time in years!

bgbearcatfan 06-13-2008 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by cblt12 (Post 2463561)
everyones idel issues are worse when the ac is onl. have you actaully taken off the tb and cleaned it? or are you just saying it needs a reflash because that is what you have heard here?

Yes i have cleaned my tb...

as well as several other people with the exact same problem, an idle that bounces from 500 - 1.5k rpm's

and i haven't "just heard" that there is a reflash, i have spoken with the dealer that said it's a common problem, and they can fix it with a flash

rnjmur 06-13-2008 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by bgbearcatfan (Post 2463571)

as well as several other people with the exact same problem, an idle that bounces from 500 - 1.5k rpm's

and i haven't "just heard" that there is a reflash, i have spoken with the dealer that said it's a common problem, and they can fix it with a flash

I have the lastest flash on my computer and it still does flutters. Last time I had my SC out I did cleant he TB but only a little and it did fix the problem for a little while. I am going to be doing my brakes next weekend and will take the TB off and clean it at the same time.

bgbearcatfan 06-13-2008 03:36 PM

well they assured me it was something they can fix.. According to someone (will not say the name), it's a ac to torque setting that needs adjusting, i dunno?

cblt12 06-13-2008 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by bgbearcatfan (Post 2463571)

ok. mine bounced just like that so i was just wondering. i know that gm has a reflash, and has for a very long time, but it didnt work for a lot of people that's why i was wondering if you even gave the cleaning a shot. i wasnt trying to be a dick but its so simple to take off the tb and clean it that i want to make sure you at least tried before going to the dealer, i hate that place.

bgbearcatfan 06-13-2008 04:32 PM

yah man, it's kool, i knew you weren't trying to come off that way haha.. And I agree, i hate taking it there as well!

06 pursuit gt 06-15-2008 12:54 AM

if u have even the slightst rough idle and have an intake i definatly reccomend this it worked for me. its amazing what a small amount of sludgey stuff on the inside of the throttle body does. STICKY!!? :cssNET:

lsjion 06-15-2008 01:32 AM

good post, but to all who posted about idle fluctuating when the s/c is on, it's normal. Being that delta's are equipped with a cycling clutch compressor. Your comp. clutch will engage and dis- engage 2-6 a minute, due to the ambient temp. When the comp. clutch is engaged it will cause the rpm's to go up. shorty after that the comp. clutch disengages and the rpms drop due to less strain on the engine. With 4 cyl. engines this is more noticiable than a v6-v8 due to such a gap in firing impulses.

Better Maxim 06-15-2008 01:54 AM

Well i have the same problem and my dealer told me there are no tsb's on this and no reflashes to fix this.....so i'm def gonna try cleaning out my throttle body... thanx for the info

flathead0 06-15-2008 02:08 AM

thank you very much sir, i will to do this you just solved all my problems in my life know i just need to get a tune to get rid of that damn check engine light for good

cobaltssredtint 06-15-2008 02:48 AM

wow, thx for this thread.....that idle thing only happens when i got my a/c on like a lot of you guys....im gonna try cleaning my tb tomorrow and see if anything changes....

SS Gordon 06-15-2008 11:11 AM

This thread needs to be stickyed as this was 100% fix for my idle problem !!!!

I have 35000 on my 05 SS & the Idle has been getting worse as the more of a load I put on it as far as AC & wipers with the radio running it tended to drop to 500 RPM bounce up to 1100 & drop back to 500 several times upon stopping.

I just cleand the Throttle body, it took 30 minutes & now I bet I could do it in 10 next time and now it holds 1100 & drops to 900 like it should with the AC on :):)

Thanks for the post & the great find !!!!!!! Awsome :)

Sometimes it's the little shit that fixes big issues!

STICKY all the way !!!!

originaladrian 06-15-2008 11:23 AM

DEf sticky this!!

i hear abt someone with a fluttering idle everyday, bet this would take care of 90% of them.

and put this in general cobalt. works on all models. this fixed my L61

brett5 06-15-2008 11:42 AM

hey mine went away too just a little spray i recomend all of you getting an oil catch can and dry flow

cblt12 06-15-2008 01:55 PM

bump

rnjmur 06-15-2008 04:08 PM

Yep, I took my throttle body off yesterday and it was nasty gummed up with black shit. I will tell you, after cleaning it I had forgot how the car was supposed to idle... lol. It idles perfect just like when it was brand new. No more sputtering or fluttering idle when stopping. :)

Angel 06-15-2008 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by DoMiStIc_RuSh_06 (Post 2448984)
So would a catch tank help or even prevent this????

I have my catch tank on order already :) . I would assume that this would only help the problem. I also was thinking that if there was mabye a long lasting lubricant to spray onto the throttle body this would help out alot when more of that oily gunk gets in there. Considering that its the oily stuff thats causing the TB to stick and all. Between both that and a catch tank and an occassional shot of TB cleaner we should be good.

****ALSO**** To you non-believers that this isnt the fix to OUR problem, I beg to differ. I have over 30k into my balt and I absolutely LOVE it but my problem was soo bad that I was even thinking of trading in my car and since GM was NO help at all and I did this on my own and surprise surprise ----NO MORE PROBLEM!!!!! My car runs like a top now and Im loving it. So to you non believers you cant try to convince me that my fix didnt work. I only made this post to try to HELP other people out and that is all and by the looks of it, it has been helping a few so far. Anyhow I hope this clarifies things a bit.

WickedSS2005 06-15-2008 04:30 PM

What about this tho.... (from my thread about my idle issue)

I had a small leak near my #4 primary on my header top far driver side bolt. Got together with a buddy and we went thru each bolt 1 by 1 to find it. Great, no more leak..... BUT! Now I have a sporadic idle and misfires in all four cylinders. :cussing: It'll start up, idle high, come down to the normal 850 range, then bounce around, almost stall and then shoot really high. I just replaced my O2 sensor last summer before my warranty expired, but that is the only thing I can think of. HPT scans show my O2 B1S1 as a flat line, then a jump high, then a dive low, long flat line, repeat as opposed to the normal peak and valley rhythm. My low end timing is running 20-25* when the tune is commanding teens and nothing on the tune has changed, even reflashed it to be safe. I'm tired of fucking with the car today, but anyone have any other ideas before buying my 4th 02 sensor? It's just ironic how I fix my leak and now I have this.

If it's not one thing it's another with this car lately. :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

I cleaned my tb today, disconnected the battery over night, and checked my plugs, all is good. Regapped them back to .030 since they widened to .036-.038 by themselves. :sigh: WTF!

wwwilly 06-15-2008 07:28 PM

ive had this problem since day one with 6 miles on my 06 SC. I took it in back then and they did some software update that seemed to fix it for a few months. Mine is not as bad as yours though, it has never stalled on me, but the idle does bounce every once in a while. Ive got nearly 150k on it now and still does it, ill have to try this.

domin8_gt 06-16-2008 04:12 AM

Those of you with the rough idle when the a/c is on. If you still have the stock tune (not GM s2) then there is a reflash for you. This worked for me last year. Those of you that have custom tunes and/or stage 2 and are having this issue, try Angel's suggestion.

rrutter81 06-16-2008 09:44 AM

mine only idled rough after coming from high rpms to low with the AC on. (eg redlight) So i tried this. Since i never had the issue with rough idling i couldnt really tell u if it helped. However it did give me my instant response back I lost before.

So even if it doesnt clean up the idle, you will notice better responsiveness in the throttle. I would say clean it up every 15-30k miles.

CobaltVenomSS 06-16-2008 10:47 AM

wow....i just did this..and OMG its perfect!!! shifts are more smooth...and idles perfectly

Edubs 06-17-2008 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltVenomSS (Post 2473121)
wow....i just did this..and OMG its perfect!!! shifts are more smooth...and idles perfectly

X2!!!

Cleaned mine up on my lunch break yesterday. Took a bit of elbow grease with a shop rag to get it looking brand new, but man what a difference for 20 minutes of work.

I now highly encourage that this post be stickied, because it should save a lot of people a lot of agony in the future...

msatchmo 06-17-2008 04:18 PM

For those of us who are afraid to tear our new cars apart, could anyone be so kind to post some pics of what i'm looking for?