2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Intake manifold

Someone just make one. This is the motor for a lotus exige. I know it's toyota motor, but look at the set up for the supercharger and it utilizes an intercooler and everything. It can't honestly be that hard to make something. If nothing new gets made anytime soon, I may try to come up with something next year on my own.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i like it. too bad rebel got shot down, i would have loved to see what they came up with.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:30 AM

BTW, I realize that we can't put an intercooler that high because of hood clearance, but those pipes could just as easily be routed to the front end and utilize a huge AIR to AIR intercooler.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by ralliartist
BTW, I realize that we can't put an intercooler that high because of hood clearance, but those pipes could just as easily be routed to the front end and utilize a huge AIR to AIR intercooler.
Sounds easy. What are you waiting for?
Old 09-11-2008, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by ls1fbody
i like it. too bad rebel got shot down, i would have loved to see what they came up with.
it can't be that hard. I mean first you would have to make a new sheet metal intake manifold similar to Hahn's, but with smaller runners. Then you make a mounting manifold for the supercharger, you could turn it upside down or whichever way to get it to work, then run intercooler pipes to the front end where a big air to air intercooler sits. There's room to make it work, someone with more money than me just needs to do it.

Originally Posted by ebristol
Sounds easy. What are you waiting for?
MUCHO DINERO, I'm an E-4 in the Air Force, I don't exactly have a TON OF MONEY. lol. Plus I'm married with 2 kids and I pay for 2 brand new cars and a house.

A sponsorship to pay for the R&D would be great. I could get it done pretty quickly then. Any takers? lol

Last edited by ralliartist; 09-11-2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-11-2008, 11:47 AM

I have an OTTP ported IM sitting in my kitchen right now. I need to get some things straighten out with my current tune before I go to the dyno for a baseline. They should have some info from me in a week or two. I'm not sure how the other testers are coming along.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:52 AM

the modified stock intake manifold is great and all, but if that's really the ugliest part of our engine, then a whole new design should really be made. I could forsee a huge amount of money made if someone made a higher flowing more efficient setup that provided a very big improvement in the power department.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Space. And intake manifold are the main problems right now.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by SSdan
Space. And intake manifold are the main problems right now.
yea, I understand that, but do you see how compact that toyota engine is and that's with the SAME M62 charger that we have.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No one will jumo on this plain and simple becuase it would not be a good return on investment. The time and money spent making that to sell maybe 5 units tops you would be in the hole. Its the same thing that happened to the tvs people all wanted it in the begining but when it was time to ante up everyone backed out besdies a few testers and like 4~5 sales out side of that. So harrop is siiting on another 95 units. Not trying to be negative but just shedding some light on the issue.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by lsjwannabe
No one will jumo on this plain and simple becuase it would not be a good return on investment. The time and money spent making that to sell maybe 5 units tops you would be in the hole. Its the same thing that happened to the tvs people all wanted it in the begining but when it was time to ante up everyone backed out besdies a few testers and like 4~5 sales out side of that. So harrop is siiting on another 95 units. Not trying to be negative but just shedding some light on the issue.
thats exactly the reason why our aftermarket is the way it is, 1 billion ***** demand the product, but only like 3 buy anything. it's not cost effective for them to make anything expensive for the lsj market, besides the fact it's a dead motor now.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:03 PM

yea, I understand that. I definitely plan to buy a TVS, but I just can't afford it right now. Well, I can, but the wife says she has other plans for the money. I've said this whole year, I'm probably more likely to buy one come tax time. So maybe I'll be able to pick one up then.

I really like the potential of the TVS, but I think you and a few others have "hit the wall" so to speak because of how shitty the intake manifold is. If something like this were made, it would probably let you see the full potential of the TVS with a 2.5" pulley or something. You'd be able to move A LOT of air compared to our crappy intake manifold.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:09 PM

Well thats why we modified this one, we took a step out there to see if it was worth it hopefully it will be. That still has yet to bee seen and the interest really is not that great when it comes time to ante up agian.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by lsjwannabe
Well thats why we modified this one, we took a step out there to see if it was worth it hopefully it will be. That still has yet to bee seen and the interest really is not that great when it comes time to ante up agian.
I think part of it is our shitty economy right now. Everyone is squeezing there money.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by invisible
I think part of it is our shitty economy right now. Everyone is squeezing there money.
No. 90% of it is that kids own these cars that are still in school with barely any money cause they don't have real jobs.

Tons of EVO/STi owners have great jobs, thus they can afford the aftermarket. They are also usually 4-5 years older than the average SS buyer.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by SSdan
No. 90% of it is that kids own these cars that are still in school with barely any money cause they don't have real jobs.

Tons of EVO/STi owners have great jobs, thus they can afford the aftermarket. They are also usually 4-5 years older than the average SS buyer.
Ehh, I have the money for hptuners and a few other things but it has been slow cause of diesel prices so I decided to hold on to it until it gets better around here.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:36 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
I hardly ever see an SS/SC driver that isn't female or younger than 25. Most people under 25 are poor as hell.

I don't have an LSJ picture but doesn't the Supercharger sit a lot lower than on the LSJ?

Last edited by umrdyldo; 09-11-2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-11-2008, 12:44 PM

im in the middle of building an awsome intake manifold using a bell intercooler core and some fabrication we'll see! That stock intake manifold is the worst possible problem with that car I cant belive GM bought off on it? With my intake manifold I cut off the front belly and gutted the entire manifold. Know the supercharger isn't blowing into a wall of hot aluminum. I redirected flow to pass threw a true dual pass the core demension's are 3.5" thick by 4.5" tall by 6.5" in lenght. It flows through the top around the front and back through the bottom then into the runner! This will be the collest possible air to water, I'de like to see a air to air setup it would be easy I just stuck with the air/water set-up!

I'll post pictures as soon as I get home!
Old 09-11-2008, 12:45 PM

has anybody thought about switing to a setup like the DDM m62 setup for the 2.4 solstice?

it would be similar to the toyota one and i think a bunch easier plus then people could have FMIC like so many people wanted

something like that a bracket to hold the blower.. wrap the piping down fmic around then up to the TB into the IM you could switch it around to the other side and use a water to air IC and have all the piping over on the passenger side that way to

Last edited by elecblue06; 09-11-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:02 PM

Can you upload that pic to the cobaltss.net gallery and then repost it. I can't see that pic on my gov't computer here in the desert.

Originally Posted by STS2/SS
im in the middle of building an awsome intake manifold using a bell intercooler core and some fabrication we'll see! That stock intake manifold is the worst possible problem with that car I cant belive GM bought off on it? With my intake manifold I cut off the front belly and gutted the entire manifold. Know the supercharger isn't blowing into a wall of hot aluminum. I redirected flow to pass threw a true dual pass the core demension's are 3.5" thick by 4.5" tall by 6.5" in lenght. It flows through the top around the front and back through the bottom then into the runner! This will be the collest possible air to water, I'de like to see a air to air setup it would be easy I just stuck with the air/water set-up!

I'll post pictures as soon as I get home!
I look forward to seeing your pics, be sure to upload them to the gallery here on cobaltss.net so I can see them.

Last edited by ralliartist; 09-11-2008 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-11-2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by ralliartist
Can you upload that pic to the cobaltss.net gallery and then repost it. I can't see that pic on my gov't computer here in the desert.

I look forward to seeing your pics, be sure to upload them to the gallery here on cobaltss.net so I can see them.
fixed for ya
Old 09-11-2008, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ls1fbody
What happened to rebel?
Old 09-11-2008, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by mario_234509
What happened to rebel?
people dont want to pay the price for R&D i think is the issue but really I think ditching the core cooler setup altogether would be easier for R&D and easier to fab
Old 09-11-2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by mario_234509
What happened to rebel?
I think they still need 3 people for their 20 people requirement..........

Its true what was said earlier though, Rebel has to know that. They will sell the first 20 at cost, and probably only 1 or 2 more after that...............
Old 09-11-2008, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by elecblue06
has anybody thought about switing to a setup like the DDM m62 setup for the 2.4 solstice?

it would be similar to the toyota one and i think a bunch easier plus then people could have FMIC like so many people wanted

something like that a bracket to hold the blower.. wrap the piping down fmic around then up to the TB into the IM you could switch it around to the other side and use a water to air IC and have all the piping over on the passenger side that way to

wow, might have to look into this. This might be the money shot. It would mean totally repositioning the supercharger to the exhaust side right above the headers, but it would free up a ton of room and you would be able to run a fmic and use the hahn intake manifold. wow, I have not seen that yet. Thanks for sharing. Could possibly be a great idea.

okay, after looking into the DDM setup, I'm just not sure if our intake manifold is as restrictive as we've made it out to be. I know that a lot of 2.4 owners (ex. Beck) have bolted a setup from a stock ss/sc and put down around 240+whp. These guys are only putting about 190ish whp down. I think it may be due to the amount of piping needed to run a FMIC and what not. I think they may be losing too much efficiency.

For example: http://www.theoldone.com/components/...er_systems.htm

This site is a company that produces a eaton M62 (same as ours) setup for hondas. They don't even run an intercooler because they claim that by mounting the supercharger as close as possible to the head will give them the most efficiency. Now our intake manifold mounts the supercharger really close to the head AND gives us an intercooling system. So is our intake manifold really that crappy? I'm beginning to think not.

I know LSJWANNABE ran into heat and boost issues when going with a 2.5 pulley with the Harrop TVS. I think that had more to do with the head than the intake manifold. For example, Rebel Auto Worx gained roughly 50-60whp on a stockish car from a **** ton of head work. Now I bet if they bolted a harrop TVS on it, it would probably run a 2.5 pulley no problem.

Opinions?

Last edited by ralliartist; 09-11-2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Intake manifold