2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll look into it. Now that you brought it up, I'm curious to see what pulley they run also.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bump.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
early afternoon bump!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Omega_5
****.... YOU GUYS!!!!
I'm working on it. I haven't even moved into my new shop.
It's looking like I'm going to ditch the 'extra' engineering in order to get this on the car... go a-a or go home.

And for the record... it looks very very pretty sitting it it's box.
Initial tests say big potential!
And no... you guys don't get pics yet.
Well hurry it up omega! lol
Old 09-12-2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by ebristol
The problem with the LSJ is with smaller pulleys that over spin the blower taking it out of its efficiency range. Is an air to air system going to fix that?
No... it fixes nothing as far as heat out of the blower.
What it does do, however, is fix the 'hot spots' and latency we will experience on the stock system.
For example, your cruising around and have some nice low IAT's... say 95 for this example. You punch it, and run a few gears at WOT. You climb up to 130 (again, for example). That IAT will not return down to 95 again, as it should. It will stay high for a while until the water cools down.
It also does two other very important things... first, it provides a better flow over the stocker. Second, it provides a larger 'buffer' from the SC to the head, resulting in a bit less shock to the system, as well as gets rid of the pulses off the SC.

WRT the Lotus guys... they will swear up and down that a water system is better on their car... and it is. That stock A-A intercooler is on a mid engine car. It doesn't cool like an FMIC would... so they convert to a W-A with a front mount HE for better heat transfer and higher fluid volume.

Originally Posted by runriot
I think a ported intake will do wonders................just waiting for someone to test it out and give us some numbers....................
Yes and no. If you plan on running a small pulley, it will actually do more harm than good in some cases. You will see the most gains on a stock pullied car.

Last edited by Omega_5; 09-12-2008 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-12-2008, 04:03 PM

we will see if you are right, I've read numerous things and controversies about which style is more efficient. Some sites say a-w with the supercharger being as close to the head as possible while others have a lot of piping and a-a intercoolers. I'm just waiting to see what's best for our cars. I know for a fact I'm going to modify my own intake manifold, but if you or someone else comes out with a new setup utilizing a a-a intercooler and it has some really good gains, then I'll jump on it.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ralliartist
we will see if you are right, I've read numerous things and controversies about which style is more efficient. Some sites say a-w with the supercharger being as close to the head as possible while others have a lot of piping and a-a intercoolers. I'm just waiting to see what's best for our cars. I know for a fact I'm going to modify my own intake manifold, but if you or someone else comes out with a new setup utilizing a a-a intercooler and it has some really good gains, then I'll jump on it.
if i had someone to help me with the idea i / we were speaking of / a car to test it on i'd be willing to lend a hand and help fab up what i can
Old 09-12-2008, 07:53 PM

Yes and no. If you plan on running a small pulley, it will actually do more harm than good in some cases. You will see the most gains on a stock pullied car.[/QUOTE]

Thats fine. If its determined that I will gain more power from this, and have to up my pully size back to stock, that sounds good to me.........
Old 09-12-2008, 08:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by runriot
Thats fine. If its determined that I will gain more power from this, and have to up my pully size back to stock, that sounds good to me.........
You got a spoon tune? Can you still get a hold of that guy?
Old 09-12-2008, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by ebristol
You got a spoon tune? Can you still get a hold of that guy?
havent spoken with him in awhile, I do have his number though.........

I Really have been thinking about buying HPTUNERS. A couple of us are thinking about going in on it.......
Old 09-15-2008, 07:51 PM

Here is the intercooler with the intake manifold along with the end cap portion. Keep in mind that I will be dividing the intake in two to keep the supercharger outlet seperated from the inlet to the engine.

Here it is sitting on the manifold!

here is a top view.

Another view all apart.

Next week I'll have it installed in my cobalt. then I have to insure the pump can provide 10 GPM of flow. To due that take the return hose off of the fill resivoir and put it over a bucket. next let the pump run for 15sec then measure how much fluid is in the bucket then multiply it by 4 and thats your flow rate. You must be at least 10 GPM to achive max cooling!!!!!
Old 09-15-2008, 07:54 PM

intteresting.. looks like it'll be a tight fit.. but awesome none the less
Old 09-15-2008, 08:31 PM

sts2/ss, can you upload those pics to the cobaltss.net gallery. I can't see those pics on my gov't computer, thanks.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:48 PM

stupid gm engineers couldnt just do it this way to begin with ha ha ha ha. its gonna be soo great
Old 09-15-2008, 09:57 PM

call me slow, but I'm not getting this design. Does the core go inside where the laminovas used to be? Plus it still seems kind of cramped. How does the air flow through this thing?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by BeermanSSSC
call me slow, but I'm not getting this design. Does the core go inside where the laminovas used to be? Plus it still seems kind of cramped. How does the air flow through this thing?
It looks like you will have to weld a divider in there to get the air to run through the top of the cooler, around the back, and then out through the bottom of the cooler. Airflow through this is not looking pretty.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:43 AM

thats exactly what we are doing... putting a divider into the intake manifold, so the air goes down through the intercooler. putting a spacer on the original endcap so the air turns around then going back through to intercooler a second time, so it should turn out to make some crazy hp
Old 09-16-2008, 08:46 AM

saved for home.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by freakta
thats exactly what we are doing... putting a divider into the intake manifold, so the air goes down through the intercooler. putting a spacer on the original endcap so the air turns around then going back through to intercooler a second time, so it should turn out to make some crazy hp
I am a bit skeptical - but I will definately be keeping my eye on this...as well as the project Omega is working on (I really want an Air-Air setup as this will eliminate the entire liquid aftercooler circuit).
Old 09-16-2008, 10:08 AM

Wink

You need to talk to the tech at bell intercoolers on the matter. With my setup an air to air wont be quite as effeciant as an liquid/air. They have over 50 years of experiance, these are the people you trust! My core is 3.5" thick and is a true dual pass with 4 times as many fins in between the bars than an expensive air/air. What does this equate to? water is the most dense cooling out there in comparision to ambient air temp. This means the time it spends flowing threw the top portion then threw the bottom the air should be about twice as cold as a front mount air/air. So basicly it's flowing trough 7" of intercooler that is four times as thick as any air to air you can fit in the front end of a cobalt! As far as placement the intercooler will be ressesed in the manifold then welded in place, then a one inch spacer will be welded to the front of the manifold to seal the unit. I'm keeping the stock roundness to cut down on the turbulance in the manifold. With all being said, and air to air is extremely efficaint in a daily driven turbo car. In fact it has a rating of 82% efficaintcy in comparision to the 72% from a liquid/air setup. Remember this is with a turbo daily driven!!!!! I have a 2.7" pulley, ported SC, full header back exhaust, and desent cold air intake, with 60lb injectors! I have more plans in the making with meth to achieve maximum effeciantcy with the M62! Don't be suprised to see numbers climg into the 320-370 with the stock unit!!!! Lastly remember air flow and efficiantcy and cooling are the key with a supercharger that flows the same CFM as a hybric T3 super 60. I should be able to make the numbers I'm looking for! More to post.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Pully Police
I am a bit skeptical - but I will definately be keeping my eye on this...as well as the project Omega is working on (I really want an Air-Air setup as this will eliminate the entire liquid aftercooler circuit).
did you see what ralli and i were talking about for a bit? you might like that idea i could attempt to help you from long distance
Old 09-16-2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by STS2/SS
You need to talk to the tech at bell intercoolers on the matter. With my setup an air to air wont be quite as effeciant as an liquid/air. They have over 50 years of experiance, these are the people you trust! My core is 3.5" thick and is a true dual pass with 4 times as many fins in between the bars than an expensive air/air. What does this equate to? water is the most dense cooling out there in comparision to ambient air temp. This means the time it spends flowing threw the top portion then threw the bottom the air should be about twice as cold as a front mount air/air. So basicly it's flowing trough 7" of intercooler that is four times as thick as any air to air you can fit in the front end of a cobalt! As far as placement the intercooler will be ressesed in the manifold then welded in place, then a one inch spacer will be welded to the front of the manifold to seal the unit. I'm keeping the stock roundness to cut down on the turbulance in the manifold. With all being said, and air to air is extremely efficaint in a daily driven turbo car. In fact it has a rating of 82% efficaintcy in comparision to the 72% from a liquid/air setup. Remember this is with a turbo daily driven!!!!! I have a 2.7" pulley, ported SC, full header back exhaust, and desent cold air intake, with 60lb injectors! I have more plans in the making with meth to achieve maximum effeciantcy with the M62! Don't be suprised to see numbers climg into the 320-370 with the stock unit!!!! Lastly remember air flow and efficiantcy and cooling are the key with a supercharger that flows the same CFM as a hybric T3 super 60. I should be able to make the numbers I'm looking for! More to post.
Like I said - I will be keeping an eye on this

Originally Posted by elecblue06
did you see what ralli and i were talking about for a bit? you might like that idea i could attempt to help you from long distance
Yeah, your idea and Omega's are very similar - just different SC mounting solutions. I am looking to upgrade this manifold before I do anything crazy with my car - so any developments in this area are welcome in my book - I am excited to see what you guys come up with if you are attempting this.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Pully Police
Like I said - I will be keeping an eye on this

Yeah, your idea and Omega's are very similar - just different SC mounting solutions. I am looking to upgrade this manifold before I do anything crazy with my car - so any developments in this area are welcome in my book - I am excited to see what you guys come up with if you are attempting this.
good idea .. i'd love to help someone do this but theres no one around me i know to test one .. only problemi s we'll b e having foos thinking they can put bov's on the setup for SURE now lol
Old 09-16-2008, 11:12 AM

Click
Old 09-16-2008, 07:43 PM

i've never seen the stock manifold, the air flows down through the laminovas then where? I can't see in those pics, does it continue down then around behind and back up to the top?

Quick Reply: Intake manifold