2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Intercooler coolant level bounces up and down filler tube while bleeding?

Old 07-29-2012, 10:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Intercooler coolant level bounces up and down filler tube while bleeding?

Hi guys,
Just finally installed my front mount H/E. Found out my intercooler pump was busted, so a few swift bangs with a hammer and that filler tube was a FLOWING. Big difference between dead and alive.

Anyway, now that the pump is flowing, I notice now that the filler tube by the SC is bouncing up and down a few inches in level at a time, I believe this is the air escaping the system? Every once and I will I pour more coolant in the system, it bounces up and down, and eventually I can see the bottom of the filler tube again.

The coolant is very bubbly and running very swiftly from passenger to driver side, it's the bouncing level which has me concerned.

Please advise if this is normal or not due to filling the new H/E.

THanks again!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
get a new pump its not going to last much longer like that
Old 07-29-2012, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Twoozofjuice
Is that because of the level going up or down, or because I had to bang it with a hammer?

Can you comment about bleeding the system?

THanks for any advice
Old 07-29-2012, 11:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Keep adding till it stops bouncing and disappearing. It will have a steady flow once its full.

I agree with getting new pump.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by boostbalt
Is that because of the level going up or down, or because I had to bang it with a hammer?

Can you comment about bleeding the system?

THanks for any advice
because of the banging it with a hammer part.

im not too sure about the levels going up
Old 07-29-2012, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by nhanson
Keep adding till it stops bouncing and disappearing. It will have a steady flow once its full.

I agree with getting new pump.
mine has like a steady flow once its on but when its off it rises and stuff. that normal? just replaced ic pump yesterday and wasnt too sure about filling methods...i filled and bled the system for quite a while so not sure if i need to put more into it. if i take the cap off it starts to almost come out of the tube
Old 07-29-2012, 11:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
mine has like a steady flow once its on but when its off it rises and stuff. that normal? just replaced ic pump yesterday and wasnt too sure about filling methods...i filled and bled the system for quite a while so not sure if i need to put more into it. if i take the cap off it starts to almost come out of the tube
it gets pressurized when its running with cap on. No biggie.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:48 AM

Yea, I think if you want to look at the fluid, you have to open the cap before starting the car. Otherwise, it will build to 5psi (says on the lid) and if you open to atmosphere (0 psi) the fluid will force out of the end. You'll want to top it off when this happens, as you just effectively drained more than the filler tube worth of coolant.

I had this happen to me a few times... Anyway, bouncing is gone as you say. Filling the tube again with the bleeder open worked well, it got way more air out the second time. I actually poured with quite a bit of force to make sure the stock h/e was full and overflowed from the bleeder. Then, I sealed it up, with the car still running, I started pouring into the filler tube, this took at least 20 minutes, as the tube level would bounce up and down (as described above) while air purged from the tube.

After the bouncing settled down (as mentioned above), I put the cap back on, and let the car run for a bit, the level dropped. I turned the car off, opened the tube, filled it back to the levels indicated on the tube, put the cap back on, and ran the car. I did this about 5 times until the level settled, now, with the car off, I am simply topping it off a little every 15 minutes as the air settles itself.

You have to make sure your pump is running in order for this to work at all, it's what's pushing the air out of the system.

Cheers, that's my experience.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:09 AM

I just ordered a new LSJ replacement pump from ZZP, sweet! How long do you guys think my bandaid will work on this pump (banging it)? Hopefully it will last until this one shows up from ZZP in a week or two? Any experience with this?

Until it shows up, I'll just check it for flow before going out for a burn.

Cheers
Old 07-30-2012, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
this is happening to me too. IDK know to fix it i will try ur suggestions.