2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Intercooler routing pump location-dual pass

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Intercooler routing pump location-dual pass

I've been looking around and have seen two different pump configurations that people used. One has the pump blowing straight into the middle port on the dual-pass end plate sucking in from the H/E outlet. The other has the pump blowing into the H/E sucking in from the top and bottom port on dual pass end plate. I know the difference between these two methods should be minimal but I wondered if anyone has ever done a direct comparison.

One consideration is the pump adds a bit of heat to the water by doing work on it. If you place the pump before the H/E this heat can be dissipated. Conversely, with the pump blowing directly into the laminova cores one would think that would make the flow through the cores more turbulent thus increasing the efficiency of the heat transfer in the laminova cores.

I used to have the pump blowing straight into the laminova cores and it seemed to work better than now that I have the pump blowing into the H/E but it was also before June when I had this running last and the ambient temps weren't as hot so I don't know if that is what made the difference.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:22 AM

So I take it the general consensus is that the difference in pump location is insignificant?
Old 08-08-2017, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
So I take it the general consensus is that the difference in pump location is insignificant?
If I remember correctly I have mine after the HE so the cooler water flows through it so it doesn't soak up as much heat.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
I've been looking around and have seen two different pump configurations that people used. One has the pump blowing straight into the middle port on the dual-pass end plate sucking in from the H/E outlet. The other has the pump blowing into the H/E sucking in from the top and bottom port on dual pass end plate. I know the difference between these two methods should be minimal but I wondered if anyone has ever done a direct comparison.

One consideration is the pump adds a bit of heat to the water by doing work on it. If you place the pump before the H/E this heat can be dissipated. Conversely, with the pump blowing directly into the laminova cores one would think that would make the flow through the cores more turbulent thus increasing the efficiency of the heat transfer in the laminova cores.

I used to have the pump blowing straight into the laminova cores and it seemed to work better than now that I have the pump blowing into the H/E but it was also before June when I had this running last and the ambient temps weren't as hot so I don't know if that is what made the difference.
In factory form

The pump sends water directly into the laminovas first, where it then exits and goes directly to the HE.

/Repeat
Old 08-09-2017, 12:52 PM

Oh well **** I the stuff I looked at online I thought the pump outlet went straight into the heat exchanger.

I know this isn't an image of stock routing exactly but just an example of how most of the diagrams I found had it configured.

I also realize that dual pass wasn't stock I just wonder why they would change the pump around for dual pass if that is the case.

Last edited by jdbaugh1; 08-09-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Has anybody put a temp sensor in the Intercooler water? I'm thinking it never gets that hot.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:18 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
i can think of a couple cars over the years where people have shown temp sensors in the intercooler system, but cant remember any data. the coolant has to be cooler than the air at the iat2 sensor, so if you see charge temps at 120*f the coolant in the system is cooler than that.

i know on my car when it was on the dyno with multiple back to back pulls i stuck my finger into the surge tank and it was a little more than luke warm. the last pull before checking it the ait2 was at 135*f at the end of the pull.