2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

loss of power with WOT

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loss of power with WOT

I am looking for help with my 2006 LSJ S/C - with ZZP stage 3 kit, longtube header etc - I have lack of power during WOT. I installed my ZZP kit over 18months ago and it worked very well with amazing power/accel. I now have >200k miles - and it has been very reliable. This morning on the drive to work ... I noticed lackluster power with WOT. Once - during such a WOT application ...and experiencing poor acceleration... suddenly the full power kicked in by itself. So - something is intermittent. During the poor acceleration ... it almost feels like the acceleration I might have with no boost from the supercharger.
Any suggestions?
thx
IW
Old 07-09-2019, 01:35 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by slipslapjack
I am looking for help with my 2006 LSJ S/C - with ZZP stage 3 kit, longtube header etc - I have lack of power during WOT. I installed my ZZP kit over 18months ago and it worked very well with amazing power/accel. I now have >200k miles - and it has been very reliable. This morning on the drive to work ... I noticed lackluster power with WOT. Once - during such a WOT application ...and experiencing poor acceleration... suddenly the full power kicked in by itself. So - something is intermittent. During the poor acceleration ... it almost feels like the acceleration I might have with no boost from the supercharger.
Any suggestions?
thx
IW
You happen to see what the boost gauge was reading? The LSJ does have a solenoid that can route manifold pressure to the supercharger bypass solenoid if the ECU commands it or if power is lost to the solenoid. This could definitely cause your boost to suddenly drop or increase but you would see the drop or jump on your gauge.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thx for the response. No... I didn't look at the gauge at the time... but I now realize I should have monitored it. I was just out testing the car and everything seems to work correctly now. I get about 13psi max boost on the gauge with WOT and as the RPM winds up. If the BPV/solenoid wasn't working at all (due to wiring or leak issue) ... then what kind of boost would I see with WOT? I presume I would see a certain amount of boost?
Due to age and high miles - should I just change out the BPV/solenoid as a preventative measure?

Thx
IW
Old 07-09-2019, 04:04 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by slipslapjack
Thx for the response. No... I didn't look at the gauge at the time... but I now realize I should have monitored it. I was just out testing the car and everything seems to work correctly now. I get about 13psi max boost on the gauge with WOT and as the RPM winds up. If the BPV/solenoid wasn't working at all (due to wiring or leak issue) ... then what kind of boost would I see with WOT? I presume I would see a certain amount of boost?
Due to age and high miles - should I just change out the BPV/solenoid as a preventative measure?

Thx
IW
If the solenoid was unplugged or not working I'm going to guess you may see about 3-5 psi though it could be lower and it will feel like a turd. 5 psi is about what I see with my TVS on 2.8 pulley when solenoid is de-energized. I would not change the solenoid unless you first verify it is not functioning correctly and verify that it is getting power. I would think the solenoid would either work or it wouldn't but I also don't think it is a very expensive part. I just don't like to throw parts at something and add more variables without first clearly identifying the root problem.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
My bypass valve sticks open. Runs fine then intermitting looses power and boost. The cure is a drop of oil right on the butterfly valve shaft as it enters the SC housing. If you can catch it while it’s doing it you will see the shaft hanging up. When you touch it it snaps closed. I run mine off road so it gets dirty and hangs up requiring a drop of oil every few months. It will run fine then will feel weak at times. Mine may be an anomaly because it is in a desert car but it happens every few months if I forget to lube the shaft bushing. In fact I’m going to put a drop of oil on it now. Thats all it takes. I have used a drop directly off the dipstick at times. That fixes it every time.