Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   LP64 to W140AX Conversion NO TROLL (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/lp64-w140ax-conversion-no-troll-247887/)

Legion 04-14-2011 07:17 PM

LP64 to W140AX Conversion NO TROLL

Seriously I am going to strap in the Whipple Twinscrew W140AX. My realistic hope is 600 fwhp, which is the most I think any drivetrain I can assemble under the front wheels can feesibly handle.

But I would really like to know is if anyone has tried the Whipple superchargers and how much work would it be to install one? Price is no concern, I fully intend to pour in 12k in prep mods alone. If car blows up after reaching goal it would not be overly upsetting, it'd be really cool though to show the LNF/LSJ-T Guys how we LSJ's roll.

I am taking this pretty serious so as I get to things I will be sure to provide as vivid details to the build as possible. Since the supercharger is only .1L off the projected 2.4L powertrain I hope to see a strong pull on pump gas. Please keep the thread clean, I really am serious, and if the Cobalt is going to make a legend of itself someday like the Focus RS or 240SX I think we need a legit native engine high power build. The LNF is not my thing, and the LSJ has some serious powertrain/drivetrain support that's untested max wise. Thanks, see you out there! :guns:

Goals of build:

1) 600 FWHP
2) 93-91 Octane Tune
3) Street Legal/Reliable
4) Dust some Big $$$ Evo's

user 72239 04-14-2011 08:23 PM

are you going to custom make the TB or does the W140AX just bolt up to our TB?

WSFrazier 04-14-2011 08:35 PM

Lol k

selfinfliction 04-14-2011 09:05 PM

oh jesus just when i thought the morons had went on vacation!

startingline05 04-14-2011 10:47 PM

hmmm....i may not know much about cars like half the guys on here but i do know that it would be ALOT easier and cheaper just to throw a turbo on your lsj for half the price as u want to spend on this so called build you want to do and build your motor and pass 600whp

K-Train04RL 04-14-2011 10:53 PM

rofl... goodluck. i hope u got credentials/knowledge to back this build up, if its even possible. but i still dont see u making newhere near 600

Chevycobaltss3 04-14-2011 10:57 PM

Im gonna put a dyno on my engine so my engine can tell me how much my dyno makes lol. Get it cuz i dont. Anything can happen but itll be fun...

BLAZIN07SS 04-14-2011 11:00 PM

lol have fun. put on a tvs with e85 and be happy with 350whp or go turbo for some big power

chris88z24 04-14-2011 11:19 PM

TVS is going on my car literally the day my 5/100k runs out. 1 year and 2 months to go. lol

ralliartist 04-15-2011 08:47 AM

600whp with a w140ax on an LSJ. hahahahahahhahahaaaaa

well, he did say money was no object. Maybe he's going to competely redesign the head and throw nitrous on it. :confused:

ecotecturbo 04-15-2011 10:07 AM

You will be lucky if you come close to 400whp..

selfinfliction 04-15-2011 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by ralliartist (Post 5710335)
600whp with a w140ax on an LSJ. hahahahahahhahahaaaaa

well, he did say money was no object. Maybe he's going to competely redesign the head and throw nitrous on it. :confused:

i think what he meant to say was that he had $120.00 from last year's allowance and there is a new ebay turbo kit out called the WangDang w140ax that claims to add 500whp :lol:

Omnigear 04-15-2011 12:51 PM

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/4...6823troll0.jpg

Legion 04-21-2011 10:07 PM

To put it plainly, the Cobalt SS is my track Evo Killer, I got bored of riding around in my Mustang GT, so this is just a bit to spice it up to where my mustang felt a few years ago(since the interiour is alot more comfortable than anything else I own), then I don't have to detune either every weekend and have my lady yell at me (because the pulley could be swapped np), might even ride my ZX-10R.

I own the ZX-10R '08, and the Mustang is a '89 GT, I also have the salvage title on a RX-7 TT, which only needs new apex seals, maybe some fuel work.

I'm an IT by profession, and I've scoped out a shop; cost doesn't seem to bad it's what I expect considering I need an adapter plate. The new hood should give me extra clearence, and the same shop can fabricate piping if necessary, and from when I started looking for this the LS4 TB still worked. Otherwise the kit will bolt on since the Whipple comes with a package you assemble the snout with a varying number of lengths available I don't see anything difficult popping up.

The ZZP racing Trans looks promising, that makes it a time game. If the project finishes tuned for 25k I will be happy, still expect it to be assembled in couple years. I really love watching Evo owners cry...

Legion 04-21-2011 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction (Post 5710748)
i think what he meant to say was that he had $120.00 from last year's allowance and there is a new ebay turbo kit out called the WangDang w140ax that claims to add 500whp :lol:

It's a 2.3L Twin Screw Supercharger, it supports up to 850 on a V-8, it's very much like the one you'd put on an 03-04 Ford Cobra or ZR1 Corvette, maybe the ZL1 Camaro. :twothumbs

The ZZP block looks decently promising, though I intend to do some things extra it saves me alot of time with some of the big powertrain items. Valvetrain from ZZP is good too, I just need to see what ZZP has, since it's not quite as easy to modify as my other three vehicles. :usa:

09sscalicobalt 04-21-2011 10:14 PM

25k for a 600hp cobalt? god damn what a waste of money and i drive a cobalt lol shit for that money just do a ls2/ls3 swap in your cobalt and make it rwd lol

blue05ss/sc 04-21-2011 10:15 PM

Yeaaa oook

Legion 04-21-2011 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by 09sscalicobalt (Post 5726745)
25k for a 600hp cobalt? god damn what a waste of money and i drive a cobalt lol shit for that money just do a ls2/ls3 swap in your cobalt and make it rwd lol

I have two FR's and a bike, there are things the FF setup on the Cobalt SS are just attractive. And I'm really not into the fried useless in the summer Turbo systems generally become with my power expectations.

It's really cheap, considering for 25K I have it on the street, and it's over built. I don't like being so far behind on the fun band. Most the LS V-8's are not that fun either. I have had my fair share of the GM V-8, it's gotten alot better recently, but far to expensive to consider cost effective, and I'm pretty sure I'd get to a point the Cobalt would just snap in half some distant day in the future I got to greedy. Honestly the FF in the Cobalt was done remarkably well, it's alot more real feedback than a GTi's fake feel, or the over rally feel of an RS Focus, good design, bad parts.

chris88z24 04-21-2011 10:29 PM

How do you plan on making this work?

Omnigear 04-21-2011 11:02 PM

dont hate on his plans, what if he did do it and on super street mag....
it would b epic ^_^

ralliartist 04-22-2011 03:41 AM

better redesign the intake manifold and head if you are going to hit 600whp with a blower on this platform.

Tennpenn83 04-22-2011 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Legion (Post 5726738)
It's a 2.3L Twin Screw Supercharger, it supports up to 850 on a V-8, it's very much like the one you'd put on an 03-04 Ford Cobra or ZR1 Corvette, maybe the ZL1 Camaro. :twothumbs

The ZZP block looks decently promising, though I intend to do some things extra it saves me alot of time with some of the big powertrain items. Valvetrain from ZZP is good too, I just need to see what ZZP has, since it's not quite as easy to modify as my other three vehicles. :usa:

cobras and zr1's can make the 850 hp, probably because they are boosting a motor that's 3 times as big with twice the cylinders.

600fwhp is not going to happen. not on a supercharged 4 cylinder on pump gas. need nitrous AND higher octane to even get within 150whp

even if it did make that kind of power, do you really think that a fwd street car can put 600whp to the ground at anything less than 100mph? are you going to do 100mph roll races against the evo?

Legion 04-22-2011 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tennpenn83 (Post 5727305)
cobras and zr1's can make the 850 hp, probably because they are boosting a motor that's 3 times as big with twice the cylinders.

600fwhp is not going to happen. not on a supercharged 4 cylinder on pump gas. need nitrous AND higher octane to even get within 150whp

even if it did make that kind of power, do you really think that a fwd street car can put 600whp to the ground at anything less than 100mph? are you going to do 100mph roll races against the evo?

100mph roll? What are you on? I'm serious that's just I suppose the only time I've heard that suggested LOL, seriously what do you mean?

The intake will be fine, it works fine for the Turbo's, I'm just staying with a positive displacement engine, throwing in some low impedence 160lb injectors since there are not alot of good options for the 100-120lb injectors I need for the build, it can be done.

And I'm also going wide with tires, when the rims come in I'm having the shop offset them so I can mount 245's, if I can find a good rim I'll mount 285 fronts 265 rears. They'll hold it won't be pretty though, I'll be pretty dependent on suspension to keep her down.

The only thing I don't already have available is an adapter plate for the supercharger, once that is done, I have all the other parts finished. If it goes well I plan to give ZZP the design. I highly doubt the supercharger will have a hard time feeding an engine that's almost the same size enough air to make 600, that's conservative, I would not be surprised if someone took my build to 750 with a bottle or a few other components I have no interest in modifying because it is street/emissions ready.

ZZP and a few other companies make it more a project like building a deck in the back yard without the brackets to turn diagonally away from a pool.

It'll be done, and under $30,000.00 w/full suspension/chassis, brakes, drivetrain, and powertrain (including valvetrain) overhauls. A good chunk has already been done. I anticipate shaving off approximately 100lbs off the car's total weight, and drasticly improving the front-rear weight distribution in the build, but we'll have to see how it looks when the big pieces come together.

This is a long post but here are some of the parts I intend to mount this year in preparation for the build:
Full 3in Catted exhaust with 1 3/4in primary long tubes, will replace magnaflow can with DC can (because the DC can has far better suppression w/silencer layout),
Eibach Springs/Rollbars,
Koni Suspension,
ZZP Stg 4+ Clutch kit + improvements (shifter bracket/clutchrod)
ZZP Stg 3 Kit (temporary parts mostly but the HE will be used later)
Roll Cage Installed (hopefully)
E-85 Ready Fuel System (103-110octane)

What's already done:
Strut tower bar,
Intake portion,
Blueprints (on paper),
Building Shop finalized,

And I'm sorry if that doesn't seem like alot, the car has alot of parts I will either sell or keep for stock re-assembly, which will not work or are not good enough for the build so I understand if it's alittle confusing it's a track car now. Some parts have to be fabricated or I'm waiting for availability.

BLAZIN07SS 04-22-2011 02:56 PM

building a track car and you are going to run eibachs? have fun with those springs...

Legion 04-22-2011 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS (Post 5728007)
building a track car and you are going to run eibachs? have fun with those springs...

With the suspension setup I'm running an adjustable so there isn't much to worry about. They did great on my Mustang GT.

It's more how you feel about them I guess. To each they're own.