Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   LSJ Cooling Questions (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/lsj-cooling-questions-327847/)

'05SSSC 06-08-2019 06:01 PM

LSJ Cooling Questions

Hey guys, had a few quick questions regarding the LSJ cooling system. I ran over a dead deer last Sunday and it did a number on my cooling. Need to replace the heat exchange, radiator, inter cooler, and condenser. After stripping the front end, I found what looks like a snapped wire over the AC compressor. I was wondering if anyone knew what it was and if it looks replaceable. My second question is which is the condenser and which is the r in the picture below, and if anyone has any part numbers/sources to buy them.

Thanks a ton

Jack

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cob...2240e19f9a.jpg
Broken plug above compressor
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cob...e67d85a1a4.jpg
which is the front unit, which one is the back

victory_red_SS 06-09-2019 11:00 PM

The one in front is the intercooler and the one in back is the radiator. The plug I don't have the answer for and no time to look through my GM manual as I am leaving to catch a plane. :)

'05SSSC 06-09-2019 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS (Post 7713279)
The one in front is the intercooler and the one in back is the radiator. The plug I don't have the answer for and no time to look through my GM manual as I am leaving to catch a plane. :)

I think I already took out the radiator, it's the bigger unit that the fan is mounted to right??

ECaulk 06-10-2019 06:42 AM

Yes the radiator is what the fan is mounted to. The stock configuration from front of car to back is condenser, intercooler heat exhcanger, radiator.

The plug looks like either the high pressure or low pressure sensor, not sure if GM has them for replacement (one would assume they do, but it's GM).

Slowbalt2000 06-10-2019 08:02 AM

Yeah thats the AC pressure sensor that you broke.

'05SSSC 06-10-2019 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk (Post 7713281)
Yes the radiator is what the fan is mounted to. The stock configuration from front of car to back is condenser, intercooler heat exhcanger, radiator.

The plug looks like either the high pressure or low pressure sensor, not sure if GM has them for replacement (one would assume they do, but it's GM).

I thought the lowest unit in front of all of those was also a heat exchanger? of is that just auxilary

ECaulk 06-10-2019 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by '05SSSC (Post 7713321)
I thought the lowest unit in front of all of those was also a heat exchanger? of is that just auxilary

That is an auxiliary heat exhanger, they didnt come stock. Most of the stage kits include one.

'05SSSC 06-10-2019 01:22 PM

Thanks for all of the help guys, appreciate it. Last question I have (for now), but in order to get this cooling system up and running again, do i need to replace the condenser/that one pressure switch i mentioned above? Or can I just run the car without A/C for the time being? I dont want to replace the condenser or the switch because I dont have the needed equipment to safely and properly discharge the refrigerant.

ECaulk 06-10-2019 01:39 PM

If the condenser is ruined there is nothing to discharge. I don't see any issues running without an ac compressor other than potentially some difficulty with defrosting the windshield.

'05SSSC 06-10-2019 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk (Post 7713332)
If the condenser is ruined there is nothing to discharge. I don't see any issues running without an ac compressor other than potentially some difficulty with defrosting the windshield.

I thought I read somewhere I can burn up the compressor without refrigerant... I guess in the same vane, can I still run my heat then?

ECaulk 06-10-2019 02:12 PM

Just don't run your defrost or AC so the compressor clutch doesn't engage.

'05SSSC 06-10-2019 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk (Post 7713340)
Just don't run your defrost or AC so the compressor clutch doesn't engage.

So on the climate controls, turning the dial to the defrost setting and not clicking the AC button will run my compressor?

ECaulk 06-10-2019 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by '05SSSC (Post 7713342)
So on the climate controls, turning the dial to the defrost setting and not clicking the AC button will run my compressor?

Yup and the recirculate activates the compressor also.

Kolt 06-10-2019 03:45 PM

unplug the broken piece from that sensor connector, cover the connector so water cant get into it, and the compressor will not turn on even if you go to defrost, recirc, or turn on the ac switch.

Flarfignewton 06-12-2019 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kolt (Post 7713354)
unplug the broken piece from that sensor connector, cover the connector so water cant get into it, and the compressor will not turn on even if you go to defrost, recirc, or turn on the ac switch.

Correct, the compressor won't engage if the pressure in the system is too low.