Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   lsj heat exchanger question (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/lsj-heat-exchanger-question-297797/)

Pleass 05-16-2013 03:36 PM

lsj heat exchanger question

This might of been covered already

Currently I have an aftermarket cx racing heat exchanger with option b hooked to it.

I'm wondering if its really necessary to hook it up with the stock heat exchanger? Will I see a change in my intake temps?

Stock endplate also

I'm getting tuned next week and just wondering if its really something i should do

Thanks

Hockeyman 05-16-2013 04:58 PM

Generally, the more fluid you have in the system, the less prone to heat soak you become. I've always ran my stock h/e and aftermarket one in series, but I have seen others bypass the factory unit.

mrbelvedere 05-16-2013 08:21 PM

we don't heat soak

blueLNFftw 05-17-2013 11:30 AM

The CXRacing FMHE holds about them same amount of coolant as the stock HE. So if you bypass the stock to the CXR then your effectively just using the stock capacity. Run them in sequence and you double the amount of coolant in the system. More is better.

Hockeyman 05-17-2013 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere (Post 7042689)
we don't heat soak

Call it what you want. You're telling me that after a few hot laps at the track there is no heat soak? The more fluid you have in the h/e system, in theory IAT temps will recover faster.

To quote you on a previous thread..."your fucking high"

mrbelvedere 05-17-2013 12:14 PM

the manifold mey get the same temp as the head but the laminova cores do not get the same temp as the manifold due to the cooler liquid flowing through them then back out to the H.E. which then takes the heat out of the coolant so it can start the process over again so the system gets hot but not heat soaked

technicaly Heat soak only occurs when you shut the engine off. It's basically the engine retaining all the heat that would usually be dissapated through the flowing coolant in the engine. Since the water pump is no longer moving water through out the radiator the engine cannot be cooled, thus keeping the heat soaked in the engine and the the same for the H.E. system

Tjolley 05-17-2013 12:39 PM

Well said

Twoozofjuice 05-17-2013 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere (Post 7043417)
the manifold mey get the same temp as the head but the laminova cores do not get the same temp as the manifold due to the cooler liquid flowing through them then back out to the H.E. which then takes the heat out of the coolant so it can start the process over again so the system gets hot but not heat soaked

technicaly Heat soak only occurs when you shut the engine off. It's basically the engine retaining all the heat that would usually be dissapated through the flowing coolant in the engine. Since the water pump is no longer moving water through out the radiator the engine cannot be cooled, thus keeping the heat soaked in the engine and the the same for the H.E. system

So this is why my temps jump to like 140 when I have the car off....ridiculous.

Would having the car off but leaving the electronics on(which would make ic pump be on) prevent this?

Hockeyman 05-17-2013 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Twoozofjuice (Post 7043445)

Would having the car off but leaving the electronics on(which would make ic pump be on) prevent this?

I do leave my IC pump on when the car is off after going down the track. It may help, although without any air flow since the car isn't moving, it doesn't help that much. I do fill my flow-through tank with ice as well which helps more.

Hockeyman 05-17-2013 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere (Post 7043417)

I completely understand your point. Well said. I would still consider it to be heat soak in a sense, however.

mrbelvedere 05-17-2013 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Twoozofjuice (Post 7043445)

command the fans on and the ic pump when car is off and that will help

Originally Posted by Hockeyman (Post 7043470)
I completely understand your point. Well said. I would still consider it to be heat soak in a sense, however.

you can consider it if you want but it is not heat soak