Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   Is it modded?... Or NAH?? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/modded-nah-322252/)

b00sted4BangeR 08-03-2016 08:52 PM

Is it modded?... Or NAH??

Good day everyone,

Wondering if the pros on here can help me a bit, the search has provided me with conflicting answers and more questions than when I started.

Just picked up an 07 SS/SC for the GF and I thought it was stock (aside from an injen intake), but after some reading I'm not so sure. So couple of questions:

1) What is stock PSI at redline for these cars? (This one is hitting 15psi at redline)

2)Most info I've seen says that's not stock, thus suggesting its modded a little. Are there any markings/what should i be looking for on the pulley to confirm/deny if its modded?

3)I read something about a bleeder valve to keep it at 12 psi from factory??? Perhaps thats why? Where is that? How can I tell?

4)Stock internals can handle about how much power before quitting in spectacular fashion?

I'll leave it at that for now. Thanks in advance

Bluelightning 08-04-2016 03:21 PM

Easiest thing to do is look at the pulley. The stock one is pressed on. Anything aftermarket will be bolted on. GM used a 4 bolt pulley. Companies like ZZP and OTTP used a 5 bolt pulley. Stock psi is usually 12psi. But that can vary depending where you live.

Stock motor can handle over 500whp. You have no worries on engine internals.

riceburner 08-04-2016 04:53 PM

yeah look at the pulley. could be a clogged cat or other conditions causing high boost if its stock.

Staged07SS 08-05-2016 09:57 AM

Stock was 12 psi at 6500 rpm. (bluelightning got that covered well).

6500 rpm limiter was stock as well.

If its a clogged cat like rice suggested boost will increase due to restriction.

Most aftermarket pulley's are aluminum and marked with their size, and bolted onto a hub.

GMS2 & GMS3 pulleys are black but are secured with 4 blue bolts and have 77.9mm & 76mm stamped on the outer face respectively.

b00sted4BangeR 08-09-2016 10:34 AM

Awesome, thanks for the help. I'll check it out tonight and be back for more later.

CobaltSS 16 08-09-2016 11:11 AM

you also may have GM stage 2. that was basically a factory upgraded kit that boosted boost to ~15psi. Best way to check is look at the supercharger pulley as stated above. usually 4 blue bolts were the GM stage kit but some people got smaller pulleys for that same 4 bolt hub. It should say the size on there if its aftermarket.

redline was also increased to 7k rpm so if you're feeling frisky rev out 2nd or 3rd gear and you'll know if an upgraded tune is on there :lol:

b00sted4BangeR 08-10-2016 01:16 AM

yuuuppp 4 blue bolts and a stamp that reads 77.9mm. That would explain the boost i supposed. Thanks for all the help.

Any problems on these things I should look out for now? The car is in immaculate shape and runs great. But I did have to replace the EVAP purge solenoid already. So if i can get ahead of the next issue that would be good lol

jmix 08-10-2016 06:34 AM

Timing chain tensioner is an issue with them as well. Mine failed at 135k or so.

Staged07SS 08-10-2016 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by b00sted4BangeR (Post 7617875)
yuuuppp 4 blue bolts and a stamp that reads 77.9mm. That would explain the boost i supposed. Thanks for all the help.

Any problems on these things I should look out for now? The car is in immaculate shape and runs great. But I did have to replace the EVAP purge solenoid already. So if i can get ahead of the next issue that would be good lol

Yup, that's the GMS2 pulley.

I changed the evap on mine back in the day.

Not too many issues with these cars. If you hear any timing chain noise, swap out the tensioner.

beast124 08-11-2016 05:01 PM

Sounds like you got a good deal then! Stage 2 makes the car much more fun! Reliable too! Congrats!