Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   My meth install (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/my-meth-install-290972/)

riceburner 12-16-2012 11:36 PM

My meth install

11 Attachment(s)
Hey all.

Never enough info on here; thought it could be useful to post up the project we pulled today.

Devils Own Progessive Meth Kit

10 gph nozzle. (Gonna switch to a 5 most likely)
50/50 water meth boost juice
Vented .8ish gallon frontmount tank

Anyway. Me and my buddy Ryan, who's helped me along almost every step of the way building my car, did this project in maybe 4 hours total today.

We decided that putting the tank and pump in the trunk would be too much of a pain in the ass, what with getting rid of the spare tire, adding weight in the back, and running so many lines to the front of the car.

Soo we decided to try to fit everything up front.

We made a different bracket for the pump and fit it right under where the top of the grill is, to the left of the hood release. Fit perfect.

Attachment 47419

Put in for test fit

Attachment 47420

Decided to paint it to match my blower even though noones ever gonna see it :lol:

Attachment 47421

Now here comes the crazy part. The tank that i had was not about to fit in the front of the car. I'm saving space on the passenger side of the engine compartment for an option b, and i don't wanna give up my windshield wiper fluid resoviour. Putting it under the passy headlight would prove to be a pain in the ass to fill, so we decided to make our own front mount tank... Out of PVC piping and accessories :lol: I gotta live up the riceburner name somehow right?

it sounds crazy, i know, but it works. We made a design the fit right behind the metal front bumper support, so that theres nothing blocking the ac condensor and all that. Also it fits right on top of my ottp stage one heat exchanger since its so small and only covers the bottom grill section.

So we found a piece of PVC with a branch to serve as a filler neck, then fabbed up the rest, complete with a sump at the bottom to ensure i'm never gonna be pumping in air under WOT.

The filler neck winds up right under where the hood release is, so i can unscrew and pour in fluid right there easily.

EDIT: We did drill a small pinhole on the filler cap to relieve pressure.

In the works.
Attachment 47422

Completely made:

Attachment 47423

It holds roughly .8 gallons, and could have held more, had we made it wider :r: It doesn't leak at all! PVC FTMFWWW

Attachment 47424

Painted. About ready to be filled with boost juice.

Attachment 47425

In-fucking-stalled. We used some long stainless clamps and basically wrapped it around the bumper support and held them to the custom tank. Lets just say, its not going anywhere ever.

Attachment 47426

Attachment 47427

Attachment 47428

put the grille back in, fit nicely, not much more of a PITA than usual, as i was worrying about.

We mounted the controller right under the hvac controls inside, routed the wires to go through the grommet in the firewall behind the clutch pedal.

Hooked up the pink wire to an acc fuse in the passenger side fuse panel, as well as a constant hot (orange) and ground (black).

Next, we routed a small rubber tubing from the controller (boost activated) to a T Fitting on THIS vac line coming out of the top of the intake manifold

Attachment 47429

Hooked the blue wire to the ground on the pump, and a 15A Fused line to the accessory post under the hood. Took some plumbing from the bottom of the tank 2 ft up to the pump, then from the pump through the crash support to the throttle body plate.

Then it was test time.

We set the controller at 3psi activation and 10psi max spray. No tune yet, btw.

Well, it was forsure spraying. We opened the hood after the few meth hits, and turns out the nozzle is leaking, we got boost juice all over the TB and stuff. Sooo i need a new nozzle. Anyone got an extra? :D

Anyway, we went to do a pull or two to monitor IAT2's since it seemed to be running fine with it.

First we did a pull with NO meth, from 30 in 2nd gear to 80 in 3rd.

Beginning of pull: 62 degree IAT2
End of pull: 100 degree IAT2

then we did a pull with meth, same miles per hour and gear

Beginning: 72 degree IAT2
End: 96 degree IAT2

Not too bad! I'm sure with a proper nozzle, this bad little bitch is gonna cool it down a ton. Ambient temps were about 45 degrees tonight.

And i can't WAIT to get tuned and really step this hot little coupe's game up a few notches :guns:

Thanks for reading! PS meth is totally new to me, and this took us about 4 hours tops.

Sox-Fan 12-16-2012 11:44 PM

Ingenuity! I love it!

EXsoccer1921 12-16-2012 11:53 PM

different yes.

but easier than installing it in the trunk? oh hell no. hahahah.

riceburner 12-17-2012 12:02 AM

In retrospect, it may have been easier to go for the trunk yes :lol:

But now all fluids are filled under the hood and more weight up front instead of the rear.

Oh but one thing is bothering me: will having the pump open to the elements pose problems? Is it water proof... Not sure about that yet. :X

Haven07 12-17-2012 12:09 AM

Still, nice install! Can't wait to see some dyno numbers with that set-up

riceburner 12-17-2012 12:22 AM

Yes well im getting tuned after new years and then hopefully gonna see a dyno after that. Cant wait to see some numbers. really hoping to see around 270 wheel or so

YelCal7 12-17-2012 12:33 AM

DAMN! I may have to do like yours! Awesome Set Up!

InfraRedline 12-17-2012 12:42 AM

Looks good. I also had my old meth setup all up front, and all hidden:) I think I have a video somewhere of showing where everything was located. Although the redlines have an empty wheel well because our washer fluid is on the other side so it was easy to hide the tank.

PS. I thought you were going E85

riceburner 12-17-2012 12:57 AM

Nice! I was going e85 but they stopped carrying it around my area! Soo i was left with meth. Guess i wont be needing my 80# injectors anymore lol

Slowbalt2000 12-17-2012 01:01 AM

Ib4 riceburner

padlock 12-17-2012 01:13 AM

love the ghetto-ness, but convenience of that front tank idea!

07MetallicSC 12-17-2012 01:20 AM

Props for thinking outside the box.

InfraRedline 12-17-2012 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by riceburner (Post 6842515)
Nice! I was going e85 but they stopped carrying it around my area! Soo i was left with meth. Guess i wont be needing my 80# injectors anymore lol

I would cry if they stopped carrying E85 here lol my car would be sold so fast!

I like the tank setup though and I wanna track down my video! Ill start diggin lol

MyOtherSS 12-17-2012 08:18 AM

Nice job

riceburner 12-17-2012 08:22 AM

thanks guys! i'm gonna get better daytime shots of the full setup so yall can see how much its noticeable from behind the grille and stuff

Vander Nars 12-17-2012 08:41 AM

ricerburner with the ricer setup lol jk its cool u tried something different but it does look like more work then the trunk setup.

Sox-Fan 12-17-2012 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000 (Post 6842518)
Ib4 riceburner

You fail.

Bad-A-SS 12-17-2012 09:36 AM

Yeah hopefully my trunk mounted tank is less hassle than this, but good job being different lol. I get my Hp Tuners in today. Woohoo

riceburner 12-17-2012 09:46 AM

nice man! good luck

06cobalt racer 12-17-2012 10:02 AM

that is a really small tank with that big of a nozzle.

to put in perspective i have a 2.5 gallon trunk mount tank and a 8 gph nozzle. i calculated it out and with it kicking on full spray( i dont have progressive) at 10 psi it will give me 15.5 minutes of spray time before my tank runs out.

you would be looking at about maybe 5 minutes of spray. not too bad i guess. i just need the extra spray time for NURBURGRING!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha. i will miss germany when i leave next year.

but with that being said that is a very custom setup and i love when people do things differently!!.

riceburner 12-17-2012 10:07 AM

we were really hoping the tank would hold more :lol: just after our test runs (maybe 10 wot times) the filler neck was already empty plus some. :X

so what you're saying is my tank should only last for like 7 minutes of spray before empty? damn! i was hoping a full gallon would last about a month.. guess i gotta learn to not beat on it as much now lol

padlock 12-17-2012 10:10 AM

^out of curiousity did you take any measurements on how much room you have to work with for tank design? I'd think there would be a way to make much larger tank fit in that area if I'm thinking right.

I know if I was running meth I'd want at Minimum a 2 gallon tank so i dont need to worry about fluid level all the time. .8Gals is pretty small.. thats the level I'd want to refill my tank at.

riceburner 12-17-2012 10:17 AM

we didn't do too many measurements. def. coulda made it a good few inches wider. and it it was a square tank instead of cylindrical that obvs. would make it hold alot more too.

who knows maybe we'll make a new better one one day

riceburner 12-17-2012 10:27 AM

should i consider running a smaller nozzle when i get this new one? i'm really lost on how big it needs to be, not planning to run anything too agressive, this is my daily driver and i wanna get plenty of miles out of her

padlock 12-17-2012 10:29 AM

i always thought it was nice having seperate meth and water tanks. quite a few locals run that and just use a T-fitting to combine the two fluids. it kind of takes the mixing portion out of the equation which i feel is convenient (as long as you want to run 50/50 that is)

what % mix are you using?