Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   Noises with transmission going from first to second gear, suggestions? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/noises-transmission-going-first-second-gear-suggestions-69246/)

snowdude1026 07-30-2007 05:53 AM

Noises with transmission going from first to second gear, suggestions?

I have had my 2007 Cobalt SS/SC for almost a month now. I have noticed a certain noise since when I got it, but since the cars performance and ability to work has not been corrupted, I have been shrugging it off. Well, now I am curious as to what it is.

Basically, everytime I shift from first to second, and sometimes engaging into first gear from a dead stop, I get a like...rattling noise from the transmission. I can only hear it if I have thw window down and no air or music. The rattle I dont know how to explain it better, the gears engage properly, just emit a like rattle typ esound when engaging. Almost as if something is loose, but working properly.

Sorry I cant explain it better, just wondering what it could be....

BCBalt SC 07-30-2007 06:24 AM

Is it like a tick or click or metal pop type noise cause i have something like then when launching from a stop to reverse and somtimes in 1st and second gear with load on the engine

snowdude1026 07-30-2007 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by BCBalt SC (Post 1270598)
Is it like a tick or click or metal pop type noise cause i have something like then when launching from a stop to reverse and somtimes in 1st and second gear with load on the engine

I would say so.

I mean, I am thinking nothing of it because the car runs totally fine and has been. But I was just wondering what it could be.

snowdude1026 07-30-2007 04:57 PM

bump...

h0l0caust 07-30-2007 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by BCBalt SC (Post 1270598)

i got the same problem, went to the dealer the fuckin car didnt did the sound, now its starting to do it more often, so, ill wait a few thousands klm from now and ill go back again....

Ryan07SS 07-30-2007 06:25 PM

Mine does the same crap . I wouldnt worry about it . Im pretty sure cobalts are known to be loud .

06blackSC 07-30-2007 07:41 PM

Coming from the J-body world (I.E. Chevy Cavaliers and Pontiac Sunfires), I know and have experienced this noise before. The post 2000 model year production cars had an issue with the Getrag made transmissions having a noise in those same gears and speeds of a sound that is similar to a coffee can full of marbles. It isn't severe and i haven't heard of anyone blowing up a tranny because of it. I get that noise occasionally as well in my SS/SC.

It's done it since day one of my SS/SC and it did it every day that i owned my 01 cavalier.

I'm not too worried.

h0l0caust 07-30-2007 08:20 PM

its sounds like a big TICK sound?

blueta 07-30-2007 09:53 PM

I get a loud click whenever I go from a stop, or switch gears. I can only hear it with the windows down and no music like you. Annoy's the hell out of me. Mine is only one click each time though.

MadboostSS 07-30-2007 10:33 PM

i could be the bearings!! cuz that happen to a friend of mine to!

D4u2s0t 07-30-2007 10:36 PM

mine sounds like i have a heat sheild hitting somewhere. i'm gonna check it out in the morning.