2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

oil cooler and balance shaft delete issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oil cooler and balance shaft delete issues

do i need my oil cooler? i wouldnt think so but heres why i ask. my machinist effed my block while pressing my sleeves and he got another block. the one he got is from a 2.0saab turbo. the block he bought dosnt have the holes for the oil cooler and hes already got it assembled. i dont want more down time so what do you all think? can it be re-located somewhere or should i just not worry about it? also i got balance shaft deletes from level zero and they dont fit for some reason. my buddy has them and they slid right into his 2.2l ecotec. the balance shafts and the gears are the exact same. why dont they fit? is there something i need to do that i dont know about to make them work or what?
Old 11-07-2009, 07:58 PM

a remote cooler is not easy but do--able and you can do a remote filter as well, and gee you will be able to bleed the clutch tob easier....so win.

Balance shafts dont fit? dont put them in then . good luck
Old 11-07-2009, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would not accept his mistakes, i would demand a proper replacement... sounds like he royally fucked this one and is gonna be in the hole big time.

either that or your gonna eat his mistakes and pay for them later down the road, i understand a sleeve install is a difficult process but it sounds like hes not up to the task and i would be worried of his work period.

Last edited by hungryhip-ccp; 11-07-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He did know the delete kit has to be pressed in. Of course they won't slide in.It's up to u. But I would rather have the job done right. Than let him get away with a mistake like that.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:31 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
what part of the lzm balance shaft delete kit are you having issues with??? the bushings need to be driven in, and the front part sometimes needs a little bit of a tap to get them to go into place as they like to **** to one side and jam up a bit.

as for the oil cooler issue, thats a big issue. i believe the block can be drilled for it, id make your machinist do the modifications to mount the factory oil cooler.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ is it really that big an issue? the L61/LE5 dont have one and they get by fine
Old 11-08-2009, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
^^ is it really that big an issue? the L61/LE5 dont have one and they get by fine
I was under the impression the 07 and down 2.4s had them but in 08 they didnt used them

(sorry this is kind of off topic)
Old 11-08-2009, 08:27 AM

He has neutral balance shafts not balance shaft delete. The should slide right in.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by StevesBlack06
do i need my oil cooler? i wouldnt think so but heres why i ask. my machinist effed my block while pressing my sleeves and he got another block. the one he got is from a 2.0saab turbo. the block he bought dosnt have the holes for the oil cooler and hes already got it assembled. i dont want more down time so what do you all think? can it be re-located somewhere or should i just not worry about it? also i got balance shaft deletes from level zero and they dont fit for some reason. my buddy has them and they slid right into his 2.2l ecotec. the balance shafts and the gears are the exact same. why dont they fit? is there something i need to do that i dont know about to make them work or what?
#1 if the machinist fucked up your block, he would buy me a new PROPER block and it would go to another machine shop for the work.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
id dam sure make them get the right block then go else were with it
Old 11-08-2009, 11:14 AM

to clarify. i have a balance shaft delete kit from level zero motorsports. not neutral balance shafts. i plan on running no balance shafts at all. as for the my machinsit. he did my buddies 2.2 right before mine with out any issues at all. the guy is damn good. i dunno what his problem is right now. the oil cooler isnt really needed. but the botom line is the work he did is not right and im paying for it. the balance shaft deletes dont work because the sleeves that level zero gave me are too small from what i understand
Old 11-08-2009, 12:42 PM

dont let him get over on you, he has ins for these type of things he just doesent wanna make a claim i assume. this guy is got you bent over backwards trying to make **** work on a turbo saab block, its not exactly the same i just went threw this while looking for one myself. its not a proper replacement. so i had mine sleeved.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:05 PM

Steve, the oil cooler is needed. What would make you think otherwise?
Old 11-08-2009, 01:27 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
did your machinist remove the balance shaft bearing??? the bushings are designed to fit inside the balance shaft bearing. if the bearing is still in the block and the bushing is too loose give clayton at level zero a call, he will take care of it.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
They also don't have piston oil squirters, but I certainly made sure to re-install them after I had my LSJ re-sleaved.

Bottom line... the oil cooler is there for a reason.

Make sure the job is done properly.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:33 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
The bottom line is that "good enough" does not work when building these engines. If you are willing to pay for a job that is just 'good enough' then be prepared to suffer a lot more than you have up to this point. Trust me, I worked with a shop who's motto seemed to be "that's good enough". Well it wasn't and it shouldn't be for anyone else either.

If you have a paint job that is good enough maybe that is okay but if you have an engine that is just "good enough" instead of being 100% correctly done, what do you think the outcome will be?

How soon do you want to be back posting "Built LSJ engine fails, why?"
Old 11-08-2009, 02:44 PM

Tell your builder to buy the LNF long block I have here and build an LNF lol
Old 11-08-2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
did your machinist remove the balance shaft bearing??? the bushings are designed to fit inside the balance shaft bearing. if the bearing is still in the block and the bushing is too loose give clayton at level zero a call, he will take care of it.
i dunno if he removed them or not. ill have to give him a call tomorrow

Originally Posted by damien
Steve, the oil cooler is needed. What would make you think otherwise?
its not NEEDED bottom line. is it good to have? yes.

well it looks to me that my guy is gonna be eating some big costs here cuz im gettin pissed off.

Last edited by StevesBlack06; 11-08-2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-08-2009, 05:55 PM

^ troof.

really guys..the oil cooler is nice, but it is NOT a needed part. There are PLENTY of 400whp L61's that dont have one... If you have it, great, why not use it? But you dont NEED one.
pison squirters i see as much more valuable, but even those arent needed, just a nice feature.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:08 PM

to my understanding the saab2.0t block was equipped with the oil squirters. im gonna have to call my guy and see what year this block is. he told me its the same casting number so i dont see why the one he bought cant be machined to adapt the oil cooler... but as for it being needed, i have friends with 600+ tubro cars that will heat that oil up aswell and they dont run them. its not like im gonna be running junk mobil1 oil in this thing, ill be using royal purple. RP has much better qualities under higher heat applications than just about anything out there. however i do agree with everyone thus far on the fact that im paying for this engine work and it better be done correctly. i blew my **** up last time around because i half assed stuff and cut corners... that being said, ive learned my lesson.

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
id dam sure make them get the right block then go else were with it
the block this guy ruined was the one i bought from you by the way...

Last edited by StevesBlack06; 11-08-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

to my understanding the saab2.0t block was equipped with the oil squirters. im gonna have to call my guy and see what year this block is. he told me its the same casting number so i dont see why the one he bought cant be machined to adapt the oil cooler... but as for it being needed, i have friends with 600+ tubro cars that will heat that oil up aswell and they dont run them. its not like im gonna be running junk mobil1 oil in this thing, ill be using royal purple. RP has much better qualities under higher heat applications than just about anything out there. however i do agree with everyone thus far on the fact that im paying for this engine work and it better be done correctly. i blew my **** up last time around because i half assed stuff and cut corners... that being said, ive learned my lesson.

the block this guy ruined was the one i bought from you by the way...
no fucken way
Old 11-08-2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
no fucken way
way...
Old 11-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

that was a good block
Old 11-08-2009, 10:10 PM

key word... "was" lol
Old 11-09-2009, 03:04 AM

you've sound like you listen to RP's ads very seriously. Theyre all the same...
Mobil one is far from crap too...but the general point of your post is correct

Quick Reply: oil cooler and balance shaft delete issues