2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Option B Problem.. Tank Fills up.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 04:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So I did the little trick of holding the Opt. B. tank above the motor... Didn't seem to do anything with motor on or off.

Rerouted the opt. B. black hose the way John has his. Shortened the length of the clear hose. Changed the T of the Opt. B black hose going to out of the so that the opt. B is vertical rather than horizontal if that matters.

Ran out and did two pulls. It's weird my pulls are ******* great. I went from 4k 2nd gear to bouncing limiter in 4th gear and a little bit into 5th and the car only saw 143*

A second pull doing the same confirmed this.

However.... again the recovery seems kinda slow and only gets down to about 100* IAT2's with IAT1's sitting at 76*

Now I suppose performance mods may matter:
E85, 80's, 2.7 M62, ZZP 3in Intake, Pacesetter Header, Full 3in Header back. That's about all that should matter. I see about 16.5psi on this set-up.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you don't quite understand what the iat's are representing.

Iat1 is ambient outside temperature. It's before the supercharger packs all the air in the intake manifold

Iat2 is after te supercharger has forced all that air at the intake ports. It heats up a fair amount when doing a pull.

Your recovery should be 15 seconds of cruising to bring your iat2's down to about 20 or so degrees above iat1. Going from redlight to redlight doing pulls will only result in heat soak and very slow recovery.

I suggest you find a stretch of open highway and do a pull and cruise right after the pull and see how long it takes your iat2's to come down. They aren't going to drop fast or anything retarded like that, it will be a steady decline like 2 degrees every second or a little longer than a second.

Also, if you don't have the stock heat exchanger, you don't have that little extra bit of fluid in the system like most here do. That could also be one of your issues.

Just my thought on this
Old 08-13-2013, 05:52 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
So you removed the stock HE and installed ZZP's stealth unit? You removed a lot of HE and didn't replace it with any extra. Simplified thought for HE, the plate surface area where heat is transfered, more surface area more heat transfer can occur, less surface area less heat transfer
Old 08-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
If this has been said I will say it again. You need to bleed out of that front mount and there is no fitting to do that so you are pretty much screwed. You cant run the bleed the way you have it wont work and you have found that.

Coolant likes nice shallow curves and gently sloping lines. A bushel basket of T fittings is just horrible sad to say, and costs a fortune in hose clamps.

so. buy a temro Y connector for the reservoir, rescue some curved hoses that came with your aftercooler to begin with so you can build a nice union for the dual outlets using only one T, and weld a 1/8 npt bung in the top tank of that front mount for the bleed line. Thats if you wish to keep it ( I would not, if you asked me) But ZZP produced what the market wanted, a cheap large fmic.

You bought it.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
If this has been said I will say it again. You need to bleed out of that front mount and there is no fitting to do that so you are pretty much screwed. You cant run the bleed the way you have it wont work and you have found that.

Coolant likes nice shallow curves and gently sloping lines. A bushel basket of T fittings is just horrible sad to say, and costs a fortune in hose clamps.

so. buy a temro Y connector for the reservoir, rescue some curved hoses that came with your aftercooler to begin with so you can build a nice union for the dual outlets using only one T, and weld a 1/8 npt bung in the top tank of that front mount for the bleed line. Thats if you wish to keep it ( I would not, if you asked me) But ZZP produced what the market wanted, a cheap large fmic.

You bought it.
I am confused.... I have a 1/8npt welded onto the top of it. It does bleed properly. Got the stealth for free.. Can't complain much at all. I will have to figure out some better flowing connections rather than 90* ones and such.

I'm starting to think that with this set-up that the Bosch doesn't have enough guts to flow fast enough through the Laminova's.

After some more driving, cruising IAT2's are about 14-19* or IAT1. The system did take in some more fluid from the Opt B. as it dropped about 1/2 an inch. Hopefully just more and more cruising will help it out.

I'll update when things change. THANKS!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:55 AM

Aright... did some better paying attention to stuff. A note to make is I still run Dexcool.

So is it normal for with the cooling mods: Dual Pass, Phenolic, Opt B., and FMHE

Cruising IAT2's are about 16-22* of IAT1

WOT Pull from 2nd to top of third gear hits about 115-125*
^
Recovers down to about 30* above IAT1 within 20seconds. Then takes about 2-3 solid minutes to get back down to within 20* of IAT1?

Idling is about 40* above IAT1 if I sit for than 30seconds. Recovers down pretty quick once moving.

Everything there seem normal for the mods? Considering the 2.7 pulley make a **** **** of heat LOLZ

Cruising....

Last edited by bratboy90; 08-14-2013 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-14-2013, 01:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to confirm that you do not have the stock heat exchanger installed?
Old 08-14-2013, 07:16 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by bratboy90
So I did the little trick of holding the Opt. B. tank above the motor... Didn't seem to do anything with motor on or off.

Rerouted the opt. B. black hose the way John has his. Shortened the length of the clear hose. Changed the T of the Opt. B black hose going to out of the so that the opt. B is vertical rather than horizontal if that matters.

Ran out and did two pulls. It's weird my pulls are ******* great. I went from 4k 2nd gear to bouncing limiter in 4th gear and a little bit into 5th and the car only saw 143*

A second pull doing the same confirmed this.

However.... again the recovery seems kinda slow and only gets down to about 100* IAT2's with IAT1's sitting at 76*

Now I suppose performance mods may matter:
E85, 80's, 2.7 M62, ZZP 3in Intake, Pacesetter Header, Full 3in Header back. That's about all that should matter. I see about 16.5psi on this set-up.
Perfectly normal for your mods....

Originally Posted by SylverSS/SC
Just to confirm that you do not have the stock heat exchanger installed?
He shouldnt.

The stealth replaces the stock heat exchanger.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
Perfectly normal for your mods....

He shouldnt.

The stealth replaces the stock heat exchanger.
The Stealth can be added onto from the stock HE. It moves to the far front of all the "radiators."

Good to know that I'm about normal. I think the few times I lifted the Opt B tank above the engine it burped a few times and helped a ton.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by bratboy90
The Stealth can be added onto from the stock HE. It moves to the far front of all the "radiators."

Good to know that I'm about normal. I think the few times I lifted the Opt B tank above the engine it burped a few times and helped a ton.
I know where it is located.

It's meant to replace the stock unit.

and yes, lifting the tank to help burp the system for the first time helps. I mention this all the time.