Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   Royal Purple Syncromax (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/royal-purple-syncromax-51765/)

myoshizawa819 03-23-2007 10:14 AM

Royal Purple Syncromax

Changed my tranny fluid over to RP yesterday and immediately noticed an increase in smoothness of the shift action. I'm sure it will be real nice on bitter cold Cleveland mornings.

AjSS 03-23-2007 10:17 AM

Ive heard good things about Royal Purple, glad to hear good from a fellow cobalt owner.

jflexe99 03-23-2007 11:41 AM

what I heard too, nothing but good things...it is just a little more money i believe...

06blackg85ss 03-23-2007 11:43 AM

I was planning on putting that in soon myself... glad to hear it works

95cobra68camaro 03-23-2007 12:00 PM

paul, if u want some let me know i can get ya a good deal for a few quarts.

06blackg85ss 03-23-2007 12:07 PM

definatly man... you coming through on DPA tonight? need to ask you about a few parts I have to order.. also got some credits if you want some fine tuning done.

95cobra68camaro 03-23-2007 01:23 PM

i should be down there, i gotta few questions about my stock injectors too...( after reading another thread)

see you tonight.

rob.

2fastSS 03-23-2007 01:26 PM

ok so royal purple?? can you go into say jiffy lube or whatever and have them put this in?? Or what exactly is royal purple?? and where could you buy it??

06blackg85ss 03-23-2007 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by 95cobra68camaro (Post 928944)
i should be down there, i gotta few questions about my stock injectors too...( after reading another thread)

see you tonight.

rob.

cool man I'll see ya up there

chevytech 03-23-2007 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 2fastSS (Post 928948)
ok so royal purple?? can you go into say jiffy lube or whatever and have them put this in?? Or what exactly is royal purple?? and where could you buy it??

ummm no you certainly cannot get royal purple at jiffy lube. pls tell me your kidding and that you dont actually have them change your oil? cause if you do. you probably have yet to have your oil filter changed since the meatheads that work that certainly have yet to find it.

and check out royal purples web site the make some if not the best automotive oiling products. i think redline makes a slightly better product but its much more expensive

also since day 1 with this car i have used nothing but royal purple products i have the synchromax trans fluid. 5w-30 racing oil and the purple ice coolant additive in my HE cooling system and my engine cooling system. i saw about a 8 degree temp drop in iat2's and about 11 in engine coolant temps with it not bad at all for 12bux

2fastSS 03-23-2007 01:41 PM

lol i know the people that work at jiffy lube and i watch them everytime they change my oil

06blackg85ss 03-23-2007 01:45 PM

same here... I just don't have anyplace to put my used oil anymore... I got like 10 1 gallon jugs in my driveway that I have to get rid of.

shabodah 03-23-2007 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss (Post 928999)
same here... I just don't have anyplace to put my used oil anymore... I got like 10 1 gallon jugs in my driveway that I have to get rid of.

Waste oil burner for the garage? :)

06blackg85ss 03-23-2007 01:50 PM

If I had a garage,... I live in NYC, we work in the street.

R&C_rallySS 03-23-2007 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by chevytech (Post 928982)
ummm no you certainly cannot get royal purple at jiffy lube. pls tell me your kidding and that you dont actually have them change your oil? cause if you do. you probably have yet to have your oil filter changed since the meatheads that work that certainly have yet to find it.

and check out royal purples web site the make some if not the best automotive oiling products. i think redline makes a slightly better product but its much more expensive

also since day 1 with this car i have used nothing but royal purple products i have the synchromax trans fluid. 5w-30 racing oil and the purple ice coolant additive in my HE cooling system and my engine cooling system. i saw about a 8 degree temp drop in iat2's and about 11 in engine coolant temps with it not bad at all for 12bux

I think your right about alot of things, but I know one thing for sure. Your car is not stock with a air box mod. Stock with a air box mod does not make any sense...just talking about your sig.

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss (Post 928999)

I think Advanced Auto and Autozone takes used oil. No charge. The on here locally does.

chevytech 03-23-2007 01:57 PM

im pretty lucky in that respect i have full use of a 48 bay gm service shop. so its almost like the owe me for giving them oil to power the burners.

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS (Post 929019)
I think your right about alot of things, but I know one thing for sure. Your car is not stock with a air box mod. Stock with a air box mod does not make any sense...just talking about your sig.

I think Advanced Auto and Autozone takes used oil. No charge. The on here locally does.

o im so sorry sirs let me get right on that for ya sirs.;)

R&C_rallySS 03-23-2007 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by chevytech (Post 929025)
im pretty lucky in that respect i have full use of a 48 bay gm service shop. so its almost like the owe me for giving them oil to power the burners.

o im so sorry sirs let me get right on that for ya sirs.;)

LOL, I didint want to sound rude about it. Just my feeling on it. Anyways, nice runs man. 14.3 is good for only a air box mod. BTW, thanks for the idea for the Royal Purple ice addative. If your a GM tech and you run it I think it very well can be trusted.

chevytech 03-23-2007 02:19 PM

yeah it can certainly be trusted its essentially "soap" (to extremely over simplify it.)

it reduces surface tension allowing the coolant to remove more engine heat as it runs through the coolant passages and then allows it to dissipate heat better once in the radiator. it also kind of acts as a lubricant. it works just like water wetter only i have found that purple ice just works better.

o and i changed my sig. i never really thought about it before but that really didn't make a whole lot of sense written like that

yeah i was pretty stoked about a 14.378 myself. it took a real hot day and slightly cooler night when i ran and about 18lbs of air in the front tires but on my 2nd pass that night the car nearly straight hooked i had to feather it a bit but not to much. i have to find the slip its around here somewhere if i recall the 60ft was like 2.1 sec might have been 2.0 seconds but i dont think so.

06blackg85ss 03-23-2007 02:46 PM

I think he was talking about the trans fluid... but the "purple ice" stuff works great too.. use it in my h/e

chevytech 03-23-2007 02:59 PM

yeah we kind of almost jacked the thread with purple ice talk.

back on point though the synchromax trans fluid is amazing i used it in the nv3500 5spd trans in my old blazer xtreme and using an infared thermometer saw nearly a 20 degree drop in transmission case temperature. that pig ran hot as hell though. i never did that on my ss/sc though after the blazer i was sold.

they did a thing on horsepower tv where they changed all the fluids in a 02 camaro ss to royal puple.... gear oil,trans fluid engine oil and purple ice in the radiator and gained like 8rwhp.

not that i would suggest buying their products for an hp increase alone, it just shows that they make a much more effecient lubricant.

myoshizawa819 03-23-2007 03:22 PM

Only drove the car a little yesterday since I had a good buzz going from all the beer drinking while working on the car and a few other things.

Drove the car around more this morning and noticed the Syncromax also make downshifts a bit smoother even if your RPM matching is a little off.

I guess I'll be going after some purple ice next (:

InfinityzeN 03-24-2007 03:28 AM

I know everyone is talking about Royal Purple stuff here, but has anyone else tried any of Amsoil's products? Thats the company that synthetic oil way back in the day. I've had really good luck with their stuff.

I've used water wetter in my cooling systems, but if purple ice is that much better, I'll have to try it out.

What I really want is to get one of those Amsoil EaAu filters that are designed to replace the filters on AEM, K&N, Injen, and other performance intakes.

06blackg85ss 03-24-2007 05:58 PM

yeah man that amsoil shit is good stuff..

Johnboy12358 03-24-2007 06:11 PM

how often should the tranny oil be changed anyways? And is that purple ice stuff safe to just go in with the dexcool already in the system?

madeinUSA 03-25-2007 12:44 AM

Any tips on changing the trans fluid for the SS/SC ?? (how to section was for 2.2/2.4 manual).