Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   SS/SC intakes (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/ss-sc-intakes-15911/)

chris88z24 05-21-2013 09:27 AM

Still rockin' the stock intake and delco paper filter.

Big Billy Baker 10-22-2013 03:53 PM

help

2.0 lsj s/c

i have injen cai and it worked good for 3 months then after every big rain my car stated to idol out of control and stall, to the point i couldnt get out of the parking lot. i checked everything i know its the filter, after every rain storm its really wet and the maf sensor inside is wet, and this problem only occurs after it rains.
Do they make a filter that mounts in the engine bay for lsj's ??
Does anyone else have this problem??

Shortbus 10-22-2013 04:10 PM

Get a hydro shield, or mod the stock air box.

nhanson 10-22-2013 04:27 PM

My spectre filter helps keep water out...can beat on the car in the rain with no issue.

RooTBeeR 10-22-2013 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Shortbus (Post 7183583)

This

Staged07SS 10-23-2013 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Shortbus (Post 7183583)

This x2

BriantheLion26 10-23-2013 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Big Billy Baker (Post 7183572)
2.0 lsj s/c

i have injen cai and it worked good for 3 months then after every big rain my car stated to idol out of control and stall, to the point i couldnt get out of the parking lot. i checked everything i know its the filter, after every rain storm its really wet and the maf sensor inside is wet, and this problem only occurs after it rains.
Do they make a filter that mounts in the engine bay for lsj's ??
Does anyone else have this problem??

Dealt with this for a year or so when I first had my car and was running my K&N intake with a AEM Dryflow filter. A hydroshield will not fix your problem, I tried one. Problem is the splash guard does not seal at all, most cars have a 0.5"-1" gap and when you drive in the rain water just pours inside and runs down the intake pipe soaking the filter. Once you pull enough air it pulls the water in the intake tube and hits the MAF and car will sputter extremely bad. Water also runs down from under the coolant reservoir and goes down the hole where the intake tube goes down inside the bumper.

I ended up making a "shield/cone" that goes around my intake tube and is taped up really good so if water comes down it hits this shield and wont run down the intake. I also gorilla tape the gap in the splash guard, I think that is the main thing that helped. Pull your wheel sometime and look, there will be a gap, a good sized one, water will just pour in there when you drive in the rain.

Hope that helps.

Staged07SS 10-23-2013 07:32 AM

Never had an issue with any of the cold air intakes I've tested (I tested many)....

Had to drive in many bad rain storms, and never had a hiccup.

Must be lucky I guess.

BriantheLion26 10-23-2013 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS (Post 7183887)
Never had an issue with any of the cold air intakes I've tested (I tested many)....

Had to drive in many bad rain storms, and never had a hiccup.

Must be lucky I guess.

I think most of my issue was that stupid AEM dryflow filter. It was like a damn sponge. I have a k&n oiled filter on it now and haven't had one issue since. I still seal up the splash guard just for extra precaution.

Staged07SS 10-23-2013 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by BriantheLion26 (Post 7183895)
I think most of my issue was that stupid AEM dryflow filter. It was like a damn sponge. I have a k&n oiled filter on it now and haven't had one issue since. I still seal up the splash guard just for extra precaution.

Yeah, never used the aem dryflow.

Swaped it out for a k&n filter when I ran the aem intake.

scott allen 10-24-2013 11:44 PM

Its clear that no one on here has a clue on intakes. Rebel auto worx is the best out of all the intakes made for the cobalt, if anyone tells you different that just means they dont have a clue, or its a dumb azz kid that dont know how to work on a car to begin with.

RooTBeeR 10-25-2013 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by scott allen (Post 7185047)
Its clear that no one on here has a clue on intakes. Rebel auto worx is the best out of all the intakes made for the cobalt, if anyone tells you different that just means they dont have a clue, or its a dumb azz kid that dont know how to work on a car to begin with.

rofl

bitch i one one of the first to run that cai...it doesnt even have any mounting hardware.

the instructions actually say to use zip ties to hold stainless steel above a fender liner.

:cssNET:
:spam:

the ottp is much nicer fit and still stainless

the zzp is a nice piece too, but i dont like the use of aluminum in the steel fender cutout

Staged07SS 10-25-2013 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by scott allen (Post 7185047)

:lol:

Yep, no clue.... :r:

Originally Posted by RooTBeeR (Post 7185081)
rofl

bitch i one one of the first to run that cai...it doesnt even have any mounting hardware.

the instructions actually say to use zip ties to hold stainless steel above a fender liner.

:cssNET:

the ottp is much nicer fit and still stainless

the zzp is a nice piece too, but i dont like the use of aluminum in the steel fender cutout

Yeah, I was one of the original to purchase it in the group buy back in the day.

They provided a crappy tacked on metal wire to run your zip tie through for attachment.

Not to mention, the two pieces never fit together perfectly. Complete waste of money.

RooTBeeR 10-25-2013 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS (Post 7185111)

:lol:

Yep, no clue.... :r:

Yeah, I was one of the original to purchase it in the group buy back in the day.

They provided a crappy tacked on metal wire to run your zip tie through for attachment.

Not to mention, the two pieces never fit together perfectly. Complete waste of money.

Mine didn't even have a place for a zip tie. I ended up using steel tie-wire wrapped around the intake between the filter and the maf bung.
had it pulled so tight to keep it off the fender liner that zip ties would have broken/cut soon after install.
. yeah poor pipe fitment. For my 07 I had to bend a brake like(which broke so I made a custom bent line...which fit perfect no matter what cai I had lol)

scott allen 10-25-2013 02:34 PM

Mine came with everything to install and fit perfect, you all must be the butt hurt kids.Didnt have to mod anything for it to fit. Stick with hot wheels kds.

Staged07SS 10-25-2013 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by scott allen (Post 7185319)
Mine came with everything to install and fit perfect, you all must be the butt hurt kids.Didnt have to mod anything for it to fit. Stick with hot wheels kds.

Hmm, I'm 30 years old.... far from a butt hurt kid. Been messing with these cars since 07', and involved in the Cobalt game since 05'. Try again.

I've tested almost every intake under the sun for this car. I know what works best, and it's not the Rebel intake. That's for sure.

Originally Posted by RooTBeeR (Post 7185314)
Mine didn't even have a place for a zip tie. I ended up using steel tie-wire wrapped around the intake between the filter and the maf bung.
had it pulled so tight to keep it off the fender liner that zip ties would have broken/cut soon after install.
. yeah poor pipe fitment. For my 07 I had to bend a brake like(which broke so I made a custom bent line...which fit perfect no matter what cai I had lol)

lol, so ghetto, and to think we were dumb enough to pay the money for it.

Yeah, I love how they didnt even design an intake that would clear the brake lines on the 07'. Bending brake lines for a metal pipe with a filter. No thanks.

RooTBeeR 10-25-2013 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by SCOTT_ALLEN
I'm a troll who loves gay buttsex with honda fart cans.

Originally Posted by Staged07SS (Post 7185324)

Hmm, I'm 30 years old.... far from a butt hurt kid. Been messing with these cars since 07', and involved in the Cobalt game since 05'. Try again.

I've tested almost every intake under the sun for this car. I know what works best, and it's not the Rebel intake. That's for sure.

lol, so ghetto, and to think we were dumb enough to pay the money for it.

Yeah, I love how they didnt even design an intake that would clear the brake lines on the 07'. Bending brake lines for a metal pipe with a filter. No thanks.

Yeah I ended up running a k&n cone filter with a hydro shield on my full stock air box and ran the same lb/min and dropped the iat temps...also never had any wet filter problems...with any setup

Hahaha yeah! It was the only true 3" option at the time.

Staged07SS 10-25-2013 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by RooTBeeR (Post 7185396)
Yeah I ended up running a k&n cone filter with a hydro shield on my full stock air box and ran the same lb/min and dropped the iat temps...also never had any wet filter problems...with any setup

Hahaha yeah! It was the only true 3" option at the time.

Yep, other than the fujita, but that wasnt stainless. That's what really sold the raw at the time.

Yeah, I run a stock replacement K&N in my modified stock airbox and flow close to 40 lbs/min. Not bad.

RooTBeeR 10-25-2013 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS (Post 7185404)
Yep, other than the fujita, but that wasnt stainless. That's what really sold the raw at the time.

Yeah, I run a stock replacement K&N in my modified stock airbox and flow close to 40 lbs/min. Not bad.

and the aem was sort of a joke only coming with the maf tube and filter basically haha

Staged07SS 10-25-2013 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by RooTBeeR (Post 7185575)
and the aem was sort of a joke only coming with the maf tube and filter basically haha

Was def a joke for the price they charged for it, but actually produced similar power as the other intakes. I spoke to an AEM engineer about, and he claimed they tested a full replacement intake and the maf tube & filter, and noticed no substantial gain from replacing the whole intake track. Still, they should have never charged $200 for it. I can see maybe $100 tops.

RooTBeeR 10-26-2013 12:20 AM

exactly, they would have profited more from higher sales than the higher price gave them

CSS1097 02-12-2015 07:29 PM

DC Sports CAI

I just ordered a DC Sports CAI because I spent all my money on my Cobalt and its large insurance bill... I'll let you guys know how it is once I get it on, nobody's reviewed it yet and its $215 CAD...

RooTBeeR 02-14-2015 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by CSS1097 (Post 7491664)
I just ordered a DC Sports CAI because I spent all my money on my Cobalt and its large insurance bill... I'll let you guys know how it is once I get it on, nobody's reviewed it yet and its $215 CAD...

Isnt the DC Sports CAI for the 2.2 and 2.4?

Staged07SS 02-14-2015 04:15 PM

They have one f0or for the SS/SC. It came out in 2010.

Looks just like the old fujita intakes.

RooTBeeR 02-15-2015 01:52 PM

Ah, go figure. 2010 is way late in the game to make in intake for one haha