Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   victory_red_SS goes RWD (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/victory_red_ss-goes-rwd-48074/)

5-Speed 06-06-2022 04:53 PM

Rod - I got what you need. Not sure what the part number is though but I do carry them.

victory_red_SS 06-06-2022 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by 5-Speed (Post 7754231)
Rod - I got what you need. Not sure what the part number is though but I do carry them.

Awesome Sean, let me know what how much so it can get on it's way.

Oerllikon 06-20-2022 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS (Post 7754222)
Thanks for checking in and like you say, it's a seemingly never ending list. No matter how many things you get done, the list doesn't seem to get any shorter.

Yesterday was full of frustrations as I tried to deal with all of the electrical plugs that seemingly had no where to go. I started off plugging in the ones I knew had a place and those were my 2 wideband sensors. The transbrake was also easy to identify because it was the only one labeled other than the injectors and coil packs. I figured out which of the plugs were camshaft and crankshaft sensors. The Spal fan and the Meziere water pump connections were a couple that were easy to figure out simply because of the length of the cables. The power to my alternator seems like a no brainer but the eyelet on the positive power is too small to mount. It has a plug on the backside so I'm researching to see what this plug is for on the alternator. The starter is another no brainer as the cables only go to it specifically. The horn is another plug that been attached although, I am thinking about upgrading my horn to something much louder but I'm too cheap to spend too much to do it. If I find an electric air horn that accepts the GM plug then I'm willing to do that upgrade.

I do have to figure out which plug goes to my AIT and which one goes to my coolant sensor. I am also going to have to tap holes for both of those sensors so I'm researching the best options for both of them. After all of those plugs I still have 4 unused plugs that seem to have no home to go to. The why is a big question to which I'm never going to get an answer to. I'm at the point now where I have identified everything inside the engine bay that needs a plug. This has been a huge stumbling block for me because the one electrical guy who came to look at the car, wanted to tear open all of the loom to trace the wires one by one. I've paid to much, too many times, to start going backwards again. As long as I have enough inputs in the ECU I'm just going to ignore the plugs with no home. As long as everything that needs a plug has that plug, it's time to move on. While working on re-attaching the steering arm I noticed one line to my brakes proportioning valve was not only disconnected, it was pushed behind the valve itself. I'm glad I saw it because it would have been a big mess when the brake fluid gets put in. As for the steering arm, it's another hassle. The arm itself goes between the header pipes and getting it oriented and installed isn't very easy and while it's almost on, I still have to fight to get it on far enough to tighten the set screws.

This week I'm going to tap the holes for the sensors and I'm also going to try to start routing the oil lines so that I can put together a list of fittings still needed to install the remaining lines. I also need to mount an oil cooler and a catch can for the transmission and a pressure sensor block for the MAP sensor. The main problem is that there isn't many places to mount these items. My Griffin radiator has the built in cooler to connect my transmission fluid lines to but I was told in the past that I shouldn't use them. I am now researching if this option would work for me when the car is just doing track runs.

After everything that has been done, there are enough other things being added to the list to keep me busy for a bit. My main objective is to do everything that I can do so that I'm not paying shop rates to get those things done. I'm tired of spending money so I'm learning to do things that I was prepared to do in the past. There's plenty of things I need to get done by the shops involved that I want to make there list much shorter.

Hey, not sure if you got these figured out yet, but the l61 alt is an Ls plug, as well as the clt sensor connector. The crabkshaft sensor (for me, appeared to be Saab, 2 pin bosch injector connector. Im not sure about the IAT, but a lot of the connectors seem to be shared

victory_red_SS 06-21-2022 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Oerllikon (Post 7754428)
Hey, not sure if you got these figured out yet, but the l61 alt is an Ls plug, as well as the clt sensor connector. The crabkshaft sensor (for me, appeared to be Saab, 2 pin bosch injector connector. Im not sure about the IAT, but a lot of the connectors seem to be shared

Thank you for that information. I did manage to get the LS plug for the alternator. As for the other plugs, you are right a lot of them are shared which caused the problem. With out being labeled I was left wondering where they connected as the lengths of the wires allowed several possibilities.

This past Sunday I had a wiring guy come over and he brought good news. The Holley manual gives a detailed listing of which wire goes every input and which color that wire is supposed to be. It does appear that the last guy followed the manual so tracing the wiring to know which plug actually goes to each connection.

The wiring guy from work thinks that he can have this all buttoned up over the next 2 weekends so I am cautiously optimistic that my wiring will finally be done with. Then I can get the fuel and oil lines run. This weekend I’m hoping to be able to get the transmission installed and check to make sure the driveshaft fits which will be a first.

After those things are done it will be time for tuning. I’m waiting for everything else to be done before I paint the car and install the glass. I’m hopeful that I have plenty of time to get to the track this season.

Oerllikon 06-22-2022 05:32 PM

Best of luck! Hope you get to hit the track this year!

ECaulk 06-22-2022 06:02 PM

I'm glad to hear the wiring is not as large of a rats nest as you initially thought it was going to be.

Certainly looking forward to the videos of tuning and track days.

victory_red_SS 06-22-2022 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Oerllikon (Post 7754460)
Best of luck! Hope you get to hit the track this year!

You me and many others are hoping the same thing. :)

Originally Posted by ECaulk (Post 7754464)
I'm glad to hear the wiring is not as large of a rats nest as you initially thought it was going to be.

Certainly looking forward to the videos of tuning and track days.

I was very encouraged hearing that too. I'm hoping that we can get it wrapped up over the next couple of weekends if the wiring guy doesn't have a scheduling issue. I have neighbors across the street with 3 boys and they are looking forward to the smoke show in the street.

Oerllikon 07-22-2022 09:51 AM

Any luck on the wiring/project?

victory_red_SS 07-25-2022 12:08 AM

The wiring guy from work has disappeared on me, so no wiring has been done yet. I'm not understanding why he doesn't want cash for every hour he puts in. The company who will do the tuning says they can finish the wiring so I guess that's what I'm going to have to do.

I'm figuring out all of the fittings and hose lengths for both the oil and fuel lines. The engine builder has the crimper for those lines and I'm hoping to get the lines done in the next 7-10 days. After the lines are run then it's time to take the car to the tuner's shop.

victory_red_SS 08-15-2022 07:04 AM

Over the weekend, the wiring guy from work resurfaced and we got together yesterday. While we didn’t do any electrical work, we did go over other items that we also need to fabricate/install. Some of those items are the fuel regulator, oil cooler, cold side of charge piping for the blower. Also on that list is the transmission cooler.

when it comes to the transmission cooler I’m in need of information on the size of oil cooler needed for my transmission.

As you can imagine, I’m limited on space underneath the hood and while we were planning out where to put the remaining items I have some space on top of the inter cooler.

While the space allows for 26” wide, 3.5” tall and 3.5” deep, I’m finding nothing with those measurements. Going with a custom made oil cooler is not in my budget.

I’m wondering how big/small transmission cooler do I need for the car?

victory_red_SS 11-15-2023 10:24 AM

I finally have good news. I have a date, December 1st. I will drop the car off at the tuners shop and he and his guys will get to work on the project. The shop will finish the wiring odds & ends of the electrical, they will plumb in the fuel & oil lines as well as do the fabricating of the cold side charge piping. I can't install the transmission until the wiring is done because some wiring needs to go through the firewall and the bell housing will be in the way so the shop will do the transmission/driveshaft install as well. Fabricating mounting brackets and placing the transmission cooler is something that I'll try but it may be easier to get the shop to do that too.

I'm doing some things that I can do to save me $$$ and yesterday as I was bolting in my exhaust pipes and that became a real pain one of the pipes fell and smacked me in the face, and that even drew blood, darn car anyways [img]file:///C:/Users/esprl/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/img].

I will be doing a few more things when I get back from work in 2 weeks and I'll make a list of what the shop needs to do for me. Having a running and tuned car seems like a pipe dream and an end to the nightmare that I've been living for the past 17 years. I guess the upside is that at this time of the year the shop having a money generating jobs is good for them and a 2 week lead time that shop can focus on getting my car done. Having the car to the point where I can actually turn the key and start it will seriously motivate me to finish the interior, paint the car and have the glass installed.

Honestly, it's really hard for me to think that the car could be at the track next year because after 17 years, it's all still a dream or nightmare, I'm trying to figure out which. Time will tell. Fortunately, I'm making good money at my camp job so that I can pay the up coming bill. After all the work is done, I will need to buy new rubber all the way around as everything that I have is way past it's best before date.

I am caustiously optomistic and I will further update this thread as things progress. Thanks for taking the time to care enough to read this update.

:) Rod

07MetallicSC 11-20-2023 07:07 AM

Always happy to see a positive post pushing your build forward!

victory_red_SS 11-22-2023 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC (Post 7757605)

After all of these years I find it incredulous that anyone still clicks on this thread let alone the possibility that I could actually have a running and tuned car by this Christmas. :eek:

ProfDNS 11-22-2023 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS (Post 7757614)
After all of these years I find it incredulous that anyone still clicks on this thread let alone the possibility that I could actually have a running and tuned car by this Christmas. :eek:

Hell of a Christmas present then if true.

victory_red_SS 11-23-2023 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by ProfDNS (Post 7757616)
Hell of a Christmas present then if true.

Yes it would be. The good thing about the timing is that everyone wants $$ for Christmas so I expect the shop will be motivated to get the work done as I told them that I have cash in hand. :)

mrbelvedere 11-23-2023 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC (Post 7757605)

i have your old secret squirrel blower

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS (Post 7757619)
Yes it would be. The good thing about the timing is that everyone wants $$ for Christmas so I expect the shop will be motivated to get the work done as I told them that I have cash in hand. :)

you are super human i have kept track glad to see its still moving