2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

ZZP Turbo Swap Still not running(VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ZZP Turbo Swap Still not running(VIDEO)

So as many of you already know. I bought an LDK block from ZZP and had it installed by a reputable shop. I broke the engine in around 2000 miles and it ran great.

Once It was broken in I threw on a ZZP turbo swap kit with the S256ET.

Two mistakes were made on initial install. 1. Had the wrong MAP installed into the intake. 2.Forgot to plug the open ports on the wastegate. Got these fixed quickly thanks to help from you guys.

The third Issue Is an exhaust leak pre-turbo. Since day one of install I have had a tick that increases with revvs and often the wideband will dance lean/rich when the tick is bad. I took it to the shop and had 3 OEM exhaust manifold gaskets installed. Then a ZZP upgrade gasket. NO change in the sound. Tried swapping out the turbo gasket. No change.

Took the car to a different shop and ran it on the lift. They could not determine where the leak is coming from. No soot marks have developed anywhere. Not on the wastegate. Not on the head, or the turbo.

After nearly a month of searching around, having the shop constantly replace turbo/manifold gaskets and troubleshoot, and bother ZZP through email, I am ready to give up on this car smh.

I must add that the car is running fine now, it just just sounds like a tractor and immediately overboosts way high around 3500 rpm (of course i've only tried this a couple times becasue I don't want to blow it up).

Is there a chance this could be a bad turbo? Or just a crazy leak we cannot figure out?
Tell me what the next move is. I need this thing on the road. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2730.MOV (2.05 MB, 40 views)
Old 02-28-2018, 07:46 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Where is this car located. If near NJ. I can def take a look at it.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bass_Waves
Where is this car located. If near NJ. I can def take a look at it.

I'm in NC. Thanks for offering though i'm pretty desperate right now for answers.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:30 AM
Banned

Received 96 Likes on 91 Posts
I like using a stethoscope and just the hose to find exactly where those type of leaks are coming from. As loud as that one is I would think someone would have been able to find it. Even a smoke machine would work.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by HGT
I like using a stethoscope and just the hose to find exactly where those type of leaks are coming from. As loud as that one is I would think someone would have been able to find it. Even a smoke machine would work.
Tried the stethoscope method at two different performance shops. It seems the tick is loudest around the wastegate area which is the reason we kept swapping manifold gaskets. The wastegate has also been off like 15 times and seems to be working properly. There are no soot marks at the wastegate flange either.

The wastegate will begin to open, then flutter terribly and boost will shoot up. The shop as ZZP have said an exhaust leak pre turbo is likely what is causing this. We just cannot find it. There are no soot marks anywhere.

Today the shop is going to take the turbo and manifold back off and if they cannot find any cracks I may send them somewhere else to be inspected. Maybe even send them back to ZZP. But I really dont want the car down for another month.

Im going to ask around today and see if we can borrow a smoke machine before they take it back apart.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
smoke machine should find it no problem.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:21 PM

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts
Something bent or warped so the gaskets aren't helping?
Old 03-04-2018, 05:01 PM

OK EVERyone. My mechanic solved the issue. FYI half of this whole situation was my fault and half was ZZPS.

Anyone who purchases the new style ZZP ecotec turbo manifold MUST use the ZZP upgrade LSJ exhaust manifold gasket.

The OEM gasket as per ZZP instructions WILL NOT work. The SAAB OEM gasket will not work either.

The new style ecotec turbo manifold features a different flange that simply wont seal the small ports on the head with the OEM gasket.

I hope ZZP will start sending people the correct gasket with their kits.

The reason I say half of it is my fault is because I thought that I had already tried the ZZP upgrade gasket, however I had only ordered OEM ones from ZZP and was giving them to the shop.

ZZP repeatedly told me the OEM would work, as did many many threads on this forum. However they were assuming I had the old style rectangular flange manifold.

Got it on the road now with no exhaust leaks. . . . . but now im getting a MAP code p0102/3 so Im going to see if it is due to the tune or possibly a boost leak.

Im also still overboosting like crazy. Wastegate just freaks out slamming open/closed at 2/3 throttle. Datalogging and gonna contact Tim again at ZZP for new file first.

Thanks for all yalls help and moral support lol