Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.2L L61 Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/)
-   -   02 gen1 2.2 swap to an 07 (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/02-gen1-2-2-swap-07-a-326598/)

Bumsnee 07-20-2018 11:13 AM

02 gen1 2.2 swap to an 07

I apologize if this has been asked 4.4 billion times. My 07 2.2 blew up and have been wondering what to do. A built and turbo 02 2.2 is for sale near me .I know the heads are different due to the coil packs and cams. Said engine comes with ecu and harness. Now being out of an 02 cavalier originally whay kind of problems am i going to run into harness wise. I want to research this asap so i don't miss put on the deal. As far as ik the blocks are identical as well as the f23 trans ..my question is will this 02 cavalier engine work in my 07 cobalt electrically (harness wise) if not. What all do i need to swap. My guess was the heads since they're interchangeable .

jdbaugh1 07-23-2018 08:45 AM

02 Caviler 2.2 with harness/ecu will not mesh with your BCM. Block should be the same but I'm assuming the reluctor wheel on the crank shaft is different which will prevent you from using 07 ECU. They do both use F23 transmissions though the casing has a different bolt pattern and are not interchangeable.

Bumsnee 07-23-2018 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 (Post 7693615)
02 Caviler 2.2 with harness/ecu will not mesh with your BCM. Block should be the same but I'm assuming the reluctor wheel on the crank shaft is different which will prevent you from using 07 ECU. They do both use F23 transmissions though the casing has a different bolt pattern and are not interchangeable.

i have been reading like a maniac about this. Would i be able to swap the cranks .I have a 2nd motor thats disassembled .I was going to swap the heads and crank and sensors over. In a perfect world i could just swap the reluctors but i read even if tjey do bolt up the orientation is different i wouldn't get a spark. Basically i want to make this as ez pz as i can to swap into the cobalt so i don't have to swap ecu and harness. As far as i know the motor and trans will drop right into my cradle. I know this seems unusual going backwards in generations but i picked a built l61 with turbo and a lsd trans for 700 .

jdbaugh1 07-23-2018 09:27 AM

You can swap cranks. Bare blocks should be interchangeable. The Cavalier transmission will not bolt up into your Cobalt though you can swap internals. I bought I Cavalier F23 for the Quaife LSD that was in it and would have just bolted that trans in if it would work but the casings are different. Ultimately I swapped the LSD out of that transmission and into mine.

Bumsnee 07-23-2018 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 (Post 7693625)
You can swap cranks. Bare blocks should be interchangeable. The Cavalier transmission will not bolt up into your Cobalt though you can swap internals. I bought I Cavalier F23 for the Quaife LSD that was in it and would have just bolted that trans in if it would work but the casings are different. Ultimately I swapped the LSD out of that transmission and into mine.

did you have to swap all of the trans and diff internals or just the diff. Im not scared to take it apart but the less i have to do the better .

jdbaugh1 07-23-2018 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bumsnee (Post 7693632)
did you have to swap all of the trans and diff internals or just the diff. Im not scared to take it apart but the less i have to do the better .

As far as I know all internals are interchangeable. I just had the differential swapped and kept all other internals. I didn't do it myself because I didn't want to have to drop the trans again from screwing something up.

Bumsnee 07-23-2018 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 (Post 7693634)
As far as I know all internals are interchangeable. I just had the differential swapped and kept all other internals. I didn't do it myself because I didn't want to have to drop the trans again from screwing something up.

ill figure it out.