2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

07 Supercharged Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 Supercharged Build

Hello all, first off I'm going to apologize if this isn't the correct format for a build this has been in the work for a while now and I've finally gotten the time. Originally I wanted to go turbo but didn't want to piece together a kit and don't really know how to either so i settled for supercharged. I may change my mind still because I haven't done any engine work at all to it yet.

So it all started a couple years ago when I got this 07 lt from a friend. This would be the first car I have really got to tinker with and boy have I tinkered!

This is how she started, Enkai m52 with fuzion uhp and K&N Typhoon intake

I had it like that for the first couple months then got the modding bug. First I swapped out the front bumper to the sport one then with the sporty new look I wanted more power but after much research I found out that its useless without the ability to utilize it so I went ahead and bought the rear axle from an LSJ with aluminum control arms and front brakes and hubs included and sourced out some 18" polished LSJ wheels to fit this screwed bolt pattern as well. But first I swapped out the front bumper to the sport one. While doing all this work I found out that the car is so basic it doesn't even have ABS.

Looking sporty

Polished aluminum is nice

LSJ hubs, brakes and control arms

rear axle with hubs and discs

So one day I was bored and decided to start the project on my own, boy was that a treat ended up taking 4 days with the car hanging half way out of my garage because I have a stupid driveway on a mean angle.

Hangin out the garage for 3 days like this!

sanded and painted the rear axle and got it up there on my own

I had some troubles with the rear brakes and had to get some new used ones from the junkyard. As it sits my ebrake doesn't work. I have hooked up all the proper cables and what not but its just that I would rather get new ones for like 100 bucks and know they work rather than take another gamble on junkyard parts. But everything installed with little to no problems which was really confidence inspiring seeing as how this was my first big automotive project.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:58 PM

Snapped a pic after I did the evo mod

After driving around for awhile I decided i didn't want the crappy cloth seats that come in the base cobalts so after some hunting I found some Ion redline Recaros and had another weekend project for the base balt. While I was at it I took out the dash trim and painted it black.

Mint condition

love how the hold of the seats

Black trim

I was super happy with that for awhile but I found out that once you start modding you can't stop! so i was sick of monster trucking everywhere with fe1 suspension so i Contacted John Powell and got the fe5 suspension yyz springs, spherical cabs and xxx rear sway bar. Then got some powergrid adjustable endlinks with moog inner/outer tie rods. I got pretty stingy on the pics here so sorry about that.

Everything all installed

a nice pic of the fe5 suspension with yyz springs

After a few months of a bitter nasty winter I decided it was time for more! I was getting sick of the LSJ wheels so I found some TC rims that were pretty beat up. I knew I didn't like the silver so decided to get them powder coated a color that I didn't see very much. I also picked up a 2.5 tsudo n1 catback exhaust which took me awhile to warm up to but now I love it!

Dirty car but was at the military base where they film canadas worst driver and couldn't resist the photo opportunity

LNF rims before paint

The new to me tsudo exhaust

Finally Decided on the color and sent them out to be powder coated. While I was waiting for them to be done one of my buddies found a cobalt he was buying and it had the complete supercharged kit with everything included for a wicked deal. I drove over there on break from school and stuffed the parts in the cobalt, its not meant to carry itself let me tell you that. The body panels have minor scrapes and scratches but nothing a nice buff wont take care of. As well as all of the body kit and rims I also picked up some rear axle bushings from John Powell on super short notice, as he looked for the parts i got to play with his dogs!

Bumper kit

still awaiting install on these

Bumpers and skirts on! although the front bumper is a different shade of red due to being in storage for 9 years

I like goooooold

Wrapped them with nitto nt555 g2

Got the rims back and was super happy with them and after much debate settled on wrapping them in some nitto nt555 g2's in 225/40/18. I'm super happy with the final result and can't wait to delve into the engine this summer! After the rear axle bushings are installed I'm planning on getting some performance brake rotors and pads and stainless brake lines. Shes due for a clutch and slips on anything past grandma acceleration but I'm waiting till I supercharge it to do it all in one big go. I've yet to really push it just because I don't want to waste all my hard work on driving stupidly and wrecking or something. I'm saving it for the track.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it. Any and all help or advice is appreciated as I'm completely new to engine work. Anyways I have some studying to get back to, damn exams...
Old 04-20-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 91 Likes on 89 Posts
So is it supercharged? Or?
Old 04-20-2017, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by chevygirl2006
So is it supercharged? Or?
Not yet, hence the build part. I've spoken to some people and am having the kit assembled and ready for a month or so away. If all goes as planned it should be supercharged by summer.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
nice build man.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:47 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Awesome build man I'm loving it. Getting the girl handling like a dream before adding power is the proper way to go too. Did you do anything about adjusting brake bias for the rear with the disc brake setup? The YYZ spring setup is pretty awesome huh?
Old 04-21-2017, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
Awesome build man I'm loving it. Getting the girl handling like a dream before adding power is the proper way to go too. Did you do anything about adjusting brake bias for the rear with the disc brake setup? The YYZ spring setup is pretty awesome huh?
No I just did the straight swap. I've experienced the rear lock up once when an old guy brake checked me. She's a stiff ride and seems to handle good but I'm waiting till the track to let loose. Experiencing some rattles in the front and hoping that some moog swaybar bushings remedy it.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Really digging the build so far. I have been wanting to do a brake, hub, and rear axle swap on my g5 but never found the parts locally. Now im thinking of selling it and getting a sky. But this thread is tempting me to keep modding my g5 lol.

​​​​​​​btw had a complete supercharger kit for sale a while back, shame i had to part it out. Would have been perfect for your car 😂
Old 04-22-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
She's looking REALLY nice! Looking forward to the engine mod updates!
Old 04-22-2017, 01:09 PM

Thanks guys, but I'm looking forward to the engine mods even more! I'm sick of having 120whp or whatever pathetic amount we have to begin with. I think I've worked something out with John Powell because when I went there last I noticed he had all sorts of manifolds and superchargers so I asked if he could throw together a kit and he said he'd look into it, pretty stoked.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:11 PM

So I did some more work over the past week or so. I got the powell rear axle bushings in and boy were they a huge PITA. The tool John lent me was broken, he only gave me that because I basically called him up and went there that day. So with the help of a buddies air hammer they came out with little to no damage to the inside of the bushing area.

aftermath

bolting up the bracket that was free

all mounted in

Then I stumbled across some cheap door panels with black leather and figured why not switch em out since my drivers side door handle was peeling and cracked in the armrest.

before

after

Not much but it's the little things that count. I plan on painting it all black to match the dash trim. The next plan is to do a brembo swap and replace rear calipars and rotors around.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Looking good so far!
Old 04-30-2017, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000
Looking good so far!
Thanks man, I really want to have it supercharged by the summer for some track time but if I cant do it then I'll just get a clutch a rip around with my 120whp