Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.2L L61 Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/)
-   -   Base model m62 build. (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/base-model-m62-build-319319/)

DarrenGC 09-27-2015 09:26 AM

Base model m62 build.

Just picked up a used M62/Intake Manifold/Tb yesterday and I'll be gathering all my other parts slowly but surely. As far as I can tell from the numerous different threads, the main parts i'm going to need will be;
Injectors 42# or 60#
Lsj belt tensioner
Stage 2 belt - one rib
Heat exchanger
Bosch IC Pump
Wiring (injectors, throttle body, does anyone know where I can source just the pigtails for these)
Hptuners
AEM UEGO Wideband
Boost Gauge
A bunch of bolts and nuts, drill bits etc
I'll have to notch the core support for the SC pulley,
Lsj washer fluid bottle
Lsj dipstick (is the l61 dipstick useable at all? I know the bolts dont line up but mine isnt bolted to the IM anyways)
Colder spark plugs
SC Oil
Upper rad hose
Is there anything I'm missing on this list? Ive seen lots of posts saying I need the LSJ alternator, why is this? I thought it just had a 6 rib pulley instead of a 5 rib\p

MAP sensors, Do i need 2 map sensors? or do i just plug the one on top of the SC and run the one in the intake manifold? The l61 only had 1 to begin with right?

Spanky's Monkey 09-27-2015 10:47 AM

I'm not trying to sell parts in your thread but if you check out the Classified I got a few of these LSJ parts up for sell and there are also a number of other members selling what your looking for. In particular I have the TB harness adapter that will keeo you from having to splice your factory harness.

LsCobalt07 09-27-2015 02:57 PM

You will need some 3/4" hose for the intercooler system, some hose for the pcv system (3/8" or 1/2" I believe), intake manifold bracket, intake gasket, LSJ alternator bracket, LSJ idler pulley. You won't need a new alternator, the stock one works fine. You can choose whether to use a LSJ dipstick or not, it isn't necessary.
You can leave the SCIP sensor in the supercharger as it doesn't get used or just tap and plug the hole. I would recommend a 2.5 BAR MAP sensor as you can wire it to monitor the air temperature inside the manifold instead of the temperature at the MAF sensor. Yes the L61 only has one MAP sensor.
ZZP sells injector pigtails and other wiring harness adaptors. If you use a 2.5 BAR MAP sensor you can buy the connector from Home » Shop » Connectors / Harnesses » Bosch » 4-way sealed Plug Bosch BSK Connector Kit for Bosch MAP Sensor

DarrenGC 09-27-2015 08:10 PM

Thank you guys. Spanky Monkey I may pm you about some of these parts later on in the week, ive got to wait for some $$ to come in and then we can talk.

So revised hard parts list (not including bolts, non molded hoses etc)

Alternator bracket
Intake manifold bracket
Heat exchanger
injectors
intercooler pump
Belt tensioner
Gaskets
2.5 bar MAP sensor
Stage 2 belt
Hptuners
Boost gauge
wideband
washer fluid res
upper rad hose
throttle body, map sensor pigtails
Gauge pod
Gaskets/fluids

And the other stuff to do:

Weld a wideband bung

Notch rad support

Plug SCIP hole (is tapping it really a good idea? Metal shavings in the blower seems like a bad time - might make a plug for it or a plate that uses the stock bolt

Some wiring and shit.

Have I missed anything? Hopefully I can take lots of pictures the whole way through this.

one last question, does HP tuners have a base map for a 2.2 SC built into it or do I need to start from scratch? I dont mind doing it from scratch but having a base map to work from saves lots of trial and error.

Jesse 09-27-2015 08:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
HP Tuners does not have a base map for anything. It simply gives you your car's parameters and you change them as necessary. If you buy the ZZP SC kit they email you a base tune but that can get pricey. As far as tapping the SCIP hole, you can take apart the blower so you don't get metal in it. Or just plug the inlet with shit tons of rags then tap it. While you have it apart you can replace the coupler, do oil change, etc... and port the blower.

Also I HIGHLY RECOMMEND taking apart the intake manifold and cleaning the laminovas. This is a before and after of mine.

Attachment 13690
Attachment 13691

DarrenGC 09-27-2015 08:45 PM

My other question is does anyone know if there is a way to bench test the throttle body? I wouldnt mind testing it before game day comes and i'm scrambling to find the right TB.

If my LSJ tb is bad from what I can tell the TB off of a Canyon with a 5cyl is the same or very similar and interchangeable with a LS4 tb. Can anyone verify? Rock auto shows the same part #.

Jesse 09-27-2015 08:53 PM

Only if you had a variable power source DC 0-5V. Then you could bench test it by wiring it like it was on the car and using your 0-5V reference in place of the pedal. FYI I may have a SC belt tensioner and idler pulley for sale really cheap soon.

DarrenGC 09-27-2015 08:54 PM

I guess base map was the wrong term to use. I read somewhere that with a hp tuners license there is a collection of pre made tunes you can access, i could be wrong I wish i could find the thread again for reference.

I suppose i could always find a tune another user has made and buy it off of them to use as my start point.

Jesse 09-27-2015 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by DarrenGC (Post 7567606)
I guess base map was the wrong term to use. I read somewhere that with a hp tuners license there is a collection of pre made tunes you can access, i could be wrong I wish i could find the thread again for reference.

I suppose i could always find a tune another user has made and buy it off of them to use as my start point.

It's a start. Yes, you have access to the tune repository, but the problem with the repository is that dumb shits who shouldn't be even driving a car or breathing our air put their tunes there. I've seen a tune for a Sunfire or something in the repository with commanded AFR of 5:1 at higher RPM.

I did you a favor and looked just now, but there don't seem to be any SC tunes there. Only stock ones and a couple wild turbo builds.

DarrenGC 09-28-2015 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 7567608)
It's a start. Yes, you have access to the tune repository, but the problem with the repository is that dumb shits who shouldn't be even driving a car or breathing our air put their tunes there. I've seen a tune for a Sunfire or something in the repository with commanded AFR of 5:1 at higher RPM.

I did you a favor and looked just now, but there don't seem to be any SC tunes there. Only stock ones and a couple wild turbo builds.

Ok thanks for looking for me. Good to know what I am getting into as far as the tuning side goes. I'll have to do some math and calculations on the fueling side to get a good starting point but that's all a ways away. I'm still just concerned with assembling all of the required parts right now. I appreciate everyone's input.

Spanky's Monkey 09-28-2015 07:44 AM

It's good bro that's what we're all here for. Given that I got a few things you'll certainly need I'm more then willing to cut you a deal when the time comes. These parts are better being put to use then sitting in boxes.

sandman 09-28-2015 08:44 AM

I used the stock dipstick. Just had to tweak it a little to get it in right

sandman 09-28-2015 08:44 AM

You also need lsj washer fluid tank if you didn't have that listed already

DarrenGC 09-28-2015 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 7567603)
Only if you had a variable power source DC 0-5V. Then you could bench test it by wiring it like it was on the car and using your 0-5V reference in place of the pedal. FYI I may have a SC belt tensioner and idler pulley for sale really cheap soon.

I have a 5V fixed power source, I could probably set up a 0-5V power source to bench test it. I will have to find a pinout and see if i cant get it tested. Hopefully the TB is good, i didnt even realize it was on the blower until i got it home, he never mentioned it in the ad so hopefully I got a better deal than I realized.

Jesse 09-28-2015 01:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DarrenGC (Post 7567751)
I have a 5V fixed power source, I could probably set up a 0-5V power source to bench test it. I will have to find a pinout and see if i cant get it tested. Hopefully the TB is good, i didnt even realize it was on the blower until i got it home, he never mentioned it in the ad so hopefully I got a better deal than I realized.

I think this is it:
Attachment 13669

DarrenGC 09-29-2015 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 7567773)

Looks like it.

So from what I can tell, 0-5V reference on Pin H, grounded to the throttle body itself. I'll have to take a good look at it this weekend, i'm going to go to the scrapyard and search for some parts

DarrenGC 11-04-2015 08:18 PM

Well before I had the time to buy anything else or get prepared my car was written off by a flying toilet.

RIP G5.

Thanks everyone for your help anyways, too bad I wont be able to get this done.

DarrenGC 12-06-2015 02:34 PM

Link to thread for M62, TB and Intake Manifold For Sale. Good deal for someone else looking to build their 2.2 up

Smc252 12-24-2021 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 7567596)
HP Tuners does not have a base map for anything. It simply gives you your car's parameters and you change them as necessary. If you buy the ZZP SC kit they email you a base tune but that can get pricey. As far as tapping the SCIP hole, you can take apart the blower so you don't get metal in it. Or just plug the inlet with shit tons of rags then tap it. While you have it apart you can replace the coupler, do oil change, etc... and port the blower.

Also I HIGHLY RECOMMEND taking apart the intake manifold and cleaning the laminovas. This is a before and after of mine.

Attachment 13690
Attachment 13691

Has anyone measured their laminova cores? I am going to buy a bunch in bulk for thr LSJ community.