2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Engine swapout question L61 to LSJ, N-Body 03 Grand Am

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine swapout question L61 to LSJ, N-Body 03 Grand Am

New poster here...I'm researching a complete swapout of drivetrain, suspension and engine from my 2003 Grand Am L61 engine and manual F23 transmission. It's the N-body platform. My local mechanic thinks than a donor package from a Cobalt SS LSJ engine/trans/suspension would be possible. A complete ECU change and intact LSJ wiring harness from the donor Cobalt is necessary, for sure. Suspension maybe? My concern is the mounting points for engine/trans/suspension compatibility between my Grand Am and Cobalt, and the wiring harness from the LSJ engine "liking" the rest of my Grand Am electrical system.

Has anyone attempted this swapout, if so how difficult was it and how much did you spend? Or should I forget the whole idea?

TIA
Old 11-24-2016, 08:07 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
suspension is a long shot, i doubt anything will work. iirc the n-body stuff is closer to the j-bodies than cobalts.

the engine will physically bolt in place of the l61. the f35 transmission will fit the car, however axles may be an issue. the clutch line would be another issue, as would shift cables and such. myself, id use the l61's f23 transmission, they are stronger than most think. being thats already in the car it would greatly simplify the swap. it will bolt up to the lsj without issue.

wiring and computer, thats going to be a bit of an issue. the lsj ecm is sort of its own thing, it can be used as a "stand alone" type setup that will run the engine just fine, however the bcm isnt going to get along with it.

imo, i would forget the swap. it would be far easier and quicker to toss a set of rods and pistons in the l61, bolt the blower on and enjoy the extra displacement over the lsj. there is really no advantage to going with the lsj over building the l61 and boosting it, and its going to be way less of a hassle. unless you want to do it for bragging rights.
The following users liked this post:
Slowbalt2000 (11-24-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I really didn't think an engine change was practical, but now I know. Doable, but difficult.

My initial thinking was to have the L61 breathe better - performance exhaust and header (catback Monza bolt-on kit for the Grand Am 2.2 ), better cold air intake and intake manifold. I've read and seen articled about a 2.4 air intake manifold being better than the stock 2.2 intake, and essentially a bolt-on part? Also, where could I source the supergharger? (just in case...)

Last edited by azilda45; 11-25-2016 at 12:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-25-2016, 01:14 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
the 2.4l intake will help the engine breath up top, however you do loose a little torque down low, so it may not be ideal in the heavier n-body.

you can source a take off supercharger kit from either zz performance or used from the forum. i think there are a couple of them for sale right now.