Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.2L L61 Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/)
-   -   Hardware Req. for Camshaft Swap (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/hardware-req-camshaft-swap-122330/)

pacific cobalt 07-14-2008 09:38 PM

Hardware Req. for Camshaft Swap

Ok so I went to the GM Dealer today and asked a simple question.

What bolts, gaskets, seals or hardware will my mechanic require to be able to swap my camshafts for stage 1 comp cams?
I don't want him to run into problems with parts missing during the install of course.
After he stared at a diagram of a ecotec 2.2 on his screen for about 15 minutes he looked at me confused and could not answer my question.
Can someone clear this up for me. I need to try a different Dealer next Time :lol:
Thanks

Spanky's Monkey 07-14-2008 10:01 PM

are you going with the upgraded springs and retainers? if not I'd do that. and you're gonna need the gasket and bolts as well as new sprocket bolts.

pacific cobalt 07-14-2008 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Spanky's Monkey (Post 2597300)
are you going with the upgraded springs and retainers? if not I'd do that. and you're gonna need the gasket and bolts as well as new sprocket bolts.

No I wasn't planning on upgrading springs and retainers since I was told it was not needed for a stage 1 camshaft.
I'll ask specifically for the sprocket bolts
I think the gasket is available at auto parts stores so I won't get that from GM
I appreciate the help

Spanky's Monkey 07-14-2008 10:35 PM

it's not needed however if you tune you will be raising the rev limit. you'll end up making power past the point the stock springs are known to bind up. at that point you'll experince valve float and that ain't good. the upgraded springs and retainers will also give you that extra piece of mind.

pacific cobalt 07-15-2008 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Spanky's Monkey (Post 2597457)
it's not needed however if you tune you will be raising the rev limit. you'll end up making power past the point the stock springs are known to bind up. at that point you'll experince valve float and that ain't good. the upgraded springs and retainers will also give you that extra piece of mind.

True
I would have to agree with you
I'm gonna have to look into it

For other members swapping camshafts on a L61
Now that I know what I need I did some searching and got Part Numbers FTR

-Ecotec Sproket Bolts
2 Needed @ $9.81 Each
GM Part #90537451

-Valve Cover Gasket
1 Needed @ $30.86
GM Part #12584084

EdCobaltSS 07-15-2008 12:04 AM

cam sprocket bolts, and a valve cover gasket. Thats all

massivematt 07-15-2008 01:41 AM

I just put in stage 2 comp cams and didnt need anything. Did you not read my thread? I even bought a new valve cover gasket and didnt even need it. Just take the cams out and put the new ones in.

bridfi 07-15-2008 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by massivematt (Post 2598386)
I just put in stage 2 comp cams and didnt need anything. Did you not read my thread? I even bought a new valve cover gasket and didnt even need it. Just take the cams out and put the new ones in.

thats what im doing as well... wasnt aware of needing to change out the bolts... or the gaskets.. ive asked about the gaskets and everyone says as long as its not ripped, your golden. and no one has ever mentioned replacing bolts...

silverfae7 07-15-2008 02:06 AM

The camshaft cap bolts are NOT torque to yield. No need to replace. All you should need is the sproket bolts, some sealer for the intake rear cap, and the cover gasket.

Jn2 07-15-2008 02:39 AM

suscribed, i am considering stg1 cams, but not really taking it seriour, but still knoledge is power

pacific cobalt 07-15-2008 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jn2 (Post 2598543)
suscribed, i am considering stg1 cams, but not really taking it seriour, but still knoledge is power

I'll post a review in about 2 weeks when they get installed

Spanky's Monkey 07-15-2008 10:17 AM

not trying to post bad info but my haynes cobalt book says to replace those bolts during maintence which would be that same as a swap. i'm doing it when i get my work done. i feel better safe then sorry.

copson20 07-15-2008 04:10 PM

you do not need to upgrade springs on a cam install. i have 73,00 on mine and didnt install spings.

Spanky's Monkey 07-15-2008 04:39 PM

drive on your car for a few thousand more and then come back and tell us that after holding the revs past 6.5k. not touching but holding it strong and steady for sustained periods. if your valvetrain holds up cool, i'm still going with springs and shit when i do my install.

exiged 07-15-2008 04:43 PM

uhh. . . if your mechanic doesn't know what tools he needs to do that kind of job should he really be doing it?