Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.2L L61 Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/)
-   -   Ignition Control Module?! (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/ignition-control-module-171038/)

blackbolt89 05-13-2009 04:39 PM

Ignition Control Module?!

so my car has been known to break down out of nowhere for no apparent reason, only to start up some time later with no coaxing. i initially thought it was my car overheating. but as a i looked in the owners manual there would be a MIL indicating that my car has overheated. which there wasn't. although there was warnings on my DIC like service airbag and powersteering.

so i brought it into the shop and had them look at it. they changed out some relays and told me it was good to go, i drive it out of the bay and put it in gear and guess what. she dies. so they said that they would need to think of what else could be the problem. and it turns out that they changed the ignition control module and said that they personally drove it 17 miles to see if anything happened.

does css.net think that its possible the ignition control module could have gone bad on a 06 with 54k miles? or did it just mask the problem and i will most likely break down again. i would like to know before i pick it up to drive home and have it break down again. cause that would suck big time.

umrdyldo 05-13-2009 04:41 PM

ICMs have been known to go out a few times around here.

Enuff_Said 05-13-2009 05:17 PM

car is currently in the shop for a similar reason

2007 LS

originaladrian 05-13-2009 05:18 PM

my ICM just went out last month. i had a thread about it if you want to look.

its a common problem.

blackbolt89 05-13-2009 10:31 PM

well they changed it and it runs fine. took it for a 35 mile trip and nothing. originaladrian did changing it solve the problem?

and did you guys have problems with the car just shutting down while you were driving? then it wouldnt start?

how many miles y'all got? should it have gone at 54k?

originaladrian 05-14-2009 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by blackbolt89 (Post 3865567)
well they changed it and it runs fine. took it for a 35 mile trip and nothing. originaladrian did changing it solve the problem?

and did you guys have problems with the car just shutting down while you were driving? then it wouldnt start?

yup, mine was fixed.
I did it myself, I knew exactly what it was when it happened, just didnt want to admit it lol.

i guess they changed to coil on plug from coil pack and ICM for a reason.

40K when it went.

BUT. I also had a custom filled and painted coil pack before. Might have caused it to overheat.

blackbolt89 05-14-2009 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by originaladrian (Post 3866894)
yup, mine was fixed.
I did it myself, I knew exactly what it was when it happened, just didnt want to admit it lol.

40K when it went.

BUT. I also had a custom filled and painted coil pack before. Might have caused it to overheat.

yeah the guy at the shop was telling me the day that i brought it in that thats what it could have been, yet he wanted to change two relays just to charge me more. lol.

he put the relays in and told me to take it home. it never made it down the street.

he also said that the ICM being mounted on top of an Ecotec is a bad idea, lol. he knows those things get hot as hell and thinks the new design coil on plug is a much better idea.

anyone else have this problem though?

maybe see if anyone had to change it more than once.

NWAE Cobalt 05-14-2009 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by originaladrian (Post 3866894)
yup, mine was fixed.

40K when it went.

custom filled as in...???

ssyellowss 05-14-2009 01:08 PM

oh hell yeah they can go out, mine did after 2000 miles on the car

originaladrian 05-14-2009 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by NWAE Cobalt (Post 3867637)
custom filled as in...???

I can prob find a pic.

hold on. I think i posted a thread about it back in the day.

so. I have way to much info posted on this site and cant find a thing. I will look for a few more min before giving up but am 100% positive i have a pic and prob a thread on here about my coil pack. Not when i had a problem but when I filled and smoothed it.

Originally Posted by originaladrian (Post 3867694)
I can prob find a pic.

hold on. I think i posted a thread about it back in the day.

so. I have way to much info posted on this site and cant find a thing. I will look for a few more min before giving up but am 100% positive i have a pic and prob a thread on here about my coil pack. Not when i had a problem but when I filled and smoothed it.

blah blah blah, pics from the dead, blah blah blah.
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/6208/image142jh0.jpg
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2767/image141mr6.jpg

NWAE Cobalt 05-14-2009 01:22 PM

interesting...
i hav emine painted, not fille though..hmmm

blackbolt89 05-14-2009 05:49 PM

i doubt that filling it would cause it to overheat. i bet you its the fucking engine temps. my shit constantly goes over 190 if i stop moving for more than 5 minutes. it pisses me off. to the point where the only thing that is ever on my DIC is the coolant temp. 189 degrees is probably burned into the screen by now, not to mention i see it in my sleep. :lol::wtf:

NWAE Cobalt 05-14-2009 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by blackbolt89 (Post 3868786)
i doubt that filling it would cause it to overheat. i bet you its the fucking engine temps. my shit constantly goes over 190 if i stop moving for more than 5 minutes. it pisses me off. to the point where the only thing that is ever on my DIC is the coolant temp. 189 degrees is probably burned into the screen by now, not to mention i see it in my sleep. :lol::wtf:

thats not a bad temp for our cars...

ssyellowss 05-14-2009 10:36 PM

yeah i wouldnt worry about coolant temps unless they are consistently over 220F or so

originaladrian 05-14-2009 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by blackbolt89 (Post 3868786)

x2. i Always crank up the AC when it gets over 190.

The stock fans are set retardedly high at 225 on LTs

Originally Posted by ssyellowss (Post 3869862)
yeah i wouldnt worry about coolant temps unless they are consistently over 220F or so

if i dont have the AC on here in SFL i will get over 220 within 10 min of turning on my car. and after 1 min at idle.

blackbolt89 05-14-2009 11:19 PM

exactly what i mean. we have dumbass weather in nj, its either hot or humid. and both are bad for heat.

J.Allen 06-23-2014 10:30 AM

Should of known, Blackbolt89, I've had to change an ICM on a '86 Ford 150, went out just down the road; I too got a '06 Cobalt LS with ECOTEC motor, grlfrnds car, we had to get gas, just pulled in and the car quit, it was making a little noise before we got there got to the pump and it would not start, got it back to the house to rebuild the motor and found 2-3 timing chain guides broken, must of overheated; put in New- coil pack, spark plugs, rings, bearings, yay done, it'll crank, but no start, bummer, hmm, no spark, got word from another time that the Crankshaft Sensor would do that, replaced that, still it'll crank, but no start, it was getting power to the ICM, but no spark? Hmm I should've known. The ICM on top of Coil Pack, on top of the Motor, go figure- Overheated.

Well 'SNAP', what else could it be? New- plugs, coil pack, ICM, crank sensor, IGN fuses are good; what is it? Cranks but won't start; info from a cousin(motorcycle mechanic, we grew up together working on motorcycles) "Go back to the 'Basics'- fuel, spark, & compression." done checked fuel (it's spraying fuel, spark plugs smell of gas also; going to check compression later today. There's no DTC to get. Any idea of what may be wrong with this?

Nick Mccray 12-27-2017 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by blackbolt89 (Post 3865567)

my Icm just went out on me but my cobalt has 172000 miles