2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

jdbaugh1 official "build" thread

Old 01-18-2019, 08:18 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Using syncro parts from the Cavi trans I picked up with the Quaife LSD in it. Also discovered the plastic wear pads on my shift forks have worn completely off so need new shift forks as well. Interesting discovery though with the Cavi shaft vs. Cobalt shaft. The Cavalier shaft is shorter. I had always thought the internals were identical and only the casing/bell housing was different.

Cavi on top, Cobalt on bottom
Old 01-18-2019, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
That is interesting... update if you find any other differences. I have a brand new cobalt 3.84 f23 I could sell you, shipping would suck tho.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:29 AM

Transmission shift forks came in and transmission shop should be done by Friday. Clutch and pressure plate will be delivered today. New Exedy lightweight flywheel, AEM Infinity series 5 ECU, AEM 5 bar map sensor and waterpump/timing chain kit came in yesterday. Will make a more detailed list later with part numbers. Thought I would share AEM's warning to me that I should not be attempting this project.

Also going to attempt to make my own wiring harness. I will plot a basic diagram before attempting anything with physical wire.I'm thinking I should mount the ECU in the cab on the passenger side. I'll probably bore a new hole in the firewall to route the main cable through. As a side note does anyone in here have recommendations of someone who would be willing to help me get started with an initial tune when if I actually end up getting this thing put back together?
Old 01-31-2019, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
ZZP has some experience tuning with AEM infinity, other than that, Trevor Jolley also has one on Chris' race car.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:10 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
My AEM is mounted on the firewall behind where the glovebox used to be. It cost some $$ But I have a MIL-SPEC bulkhead harness in the firewall, so that engine side the entire harness unplugs from the firewall and can go with the engine when it has to come out.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Foximus
My AEM is mounted on the firewall behind where the glovebox used to be. It cost some $$ But I have a MIL-SPEC bulkhead harness in the firewall, so that engine side the entire harness unplugs from the firewall and can go with the engine when it has to come out.
I'm imaging you have a stubby main cable that goes from your ECU to your firewall. Then at your firewall you have a junction that joins the stubby cable to the engine harness? Mind sharing with me what component you used there?
Old 02-07-2019, 09:13 AM

Installed new water pump, wp/bs chain, guides, sprockets and tensioner. Installed flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch yesterday evening. Took TOB disengagement measurements. Came up with 2-15/32" from block mating surface to engagement point of pressure plate fingers and 2-21/32" to compressed TOB engagement surface to mating surface of transmission. The difference ends up being 3/16" of excess TOB travel which the
I watched said was perfect. Not sure if someone knows if GM lists the official specification somewhere?

Have many additional parts coming in. Hopefully progress as far as possible this weekend. Can only get so far without having the head back yet. Not sure when Trevor will be done with it.
The following users liked this post:
armcclure (02-08-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 09:44 AM

Installed the transmission with a little help from a ratchet strap to support the weight while I slid it into position.

Installed AEM oil pressure sensor.

Bought some stainless steel spring stock to try and keep my intercooler hose from kinking.

Also tapped out my 1/2" supercharger spacer plate a bit deeper so the nozzle spray pattern would not hit the threaded bore which condensed the mist into large droplets.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:07 AM

Received 531 Likes on 455 Posts
Very nice progress!
jdbaugh1 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by ProfDNS
Very nice progress!
Been pretty slow but I still don't have my head back so there is only so much progress I can make anyway. That's good though because I make less mistakes when I take my time if you can imagine that. Spent the whole day Sunday redoing my rats nest wiring that I had from all my gauges, water-circ pump, and methanol pump. I kept adding stuff and just splicing into existing wire so basically cut out all that crap and tidied it up. I'm powering my gauges off of a single relay and the pumps on a separate relay. Amazon sells these relays that comes with their own harness and they are really handy.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:34 AM

Received 531 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
Been pretty slow but I still don't have my head back so there is only so much progress I can make anyway. That's good though because I make less mistakes when I take my time if you can imagine that. Spent the whole day Sunday redoing my rats nest wiring that I had from all my gauges, water-circ pump, and methanol pump. I kept adding stuff and just splicing into existing wire so basically cut out all that crap and tidied it up. I'm powering my gauges off of a single relay and the pumps on a separate relay. Amazon sells these relays that comes with their own harness and they are really handy.
Absolutely. Might as well do it once and do it right. You have the A-Pillar gauges right?
Old 02-12-2019, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by ProfDNS
Absolutely. Might as well do it once and do it right. You have the A-Pillar gauges right?
Yeah and one integrated into the instrument cluster. Boost, AFR, IAT2, and water/methanol failsafe gauge.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:53 AM

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Rewired my car too last summer (Meth, IC pump, WB02), if you want to clean up the power distribution this fuse block is pretty nice:
Amazon Amazon
I also got the multi-pack of relays with the plug and pigtails, seem to be working okay and easier to swap out at least.

Name:  RGe4z13.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  264.0 KB

I paralleled two relays to power the distribution block main input, ignition switched so everything is switched via ignition that is connected to it. (Ya that's a Slostice)
Name:  6LMPsKk.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  351.4 KB
jdbaugh1 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 12:45 PM

Yeah I like that, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:53 PM

With Kolt's help providing schematics I think I about have my wiring figured out as far as what component pin connects to which pin on the AEM. I've bought some female Delphi GT 150 series terminals so I can run fresh wires and use crimpers to rebuild the stock electrical connections to my throttle pedal, injector harness, and throttle body ect. I also bought some female Metri-Pack 280 series so I can run wires and tap into the stock fuse box utilize the stock relays and fuses for the fuel pump and fan. Now I need to map everything to my mil-spec 61 position electrical connection that I will have at the firewall so I can disconnect the engine harness easily. I now know where most of the wires need to go if I can just get them there in practice.

Kolt (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 09:46 AM

Also tapped out my 1/2" supercharger spacer plate a bit deeper so the nozzle spray pattern would not hit the threaded bore which condensed the mist into large droplets.
https://youtu.be/0WYRa7Y6Jtw
Regarding the water/meth sprayers, I am going to try and integrate the spray nozzles after the SC laminova elements. I found a couple symmetrical spots on the LSJ intake manifold to put two nozzles that point at ports 1-2 and 3-4. I would likely weld in bosses to optimize the nozzle angle.

Here is the concept wondering if anyone has looked at this method, this image is from google not mine:
Old 02-28-2019, 10:02 AM
Slobodan Milošević

Received 215 Likes on 175 Posts
you could probably squeeze a direct port setup in there fairly easily, but it would have to be between the manifold and the head on the underside
Old 02-28-2019, 10:40 AM

I would like to inject after the cores as well to provide maximum cooling but I would be very worried about getting an even mixture to all cylinders. At my current location if I have a single nozzle clog up or something, although I may lean out a bit, there will still be a relatively even mixture going to all cylinders.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 07blackg5
you could probably squeeze a direct port setup in there fairly easily, but it would have to be between the manifold and the head on the underside
I looked at this too, specifically to install 4 wet NOZZZZ nozzles, I backed out of this plan as it was too tight even if I hardlined it. The intake swoops in towards the block and with the nitrous wet nozzles it's too tight. Possibly right angle methanol nozzles could work out however, I haven't researched that at all but it would be the superior method I agree.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:53 PM

I would like to inject after the cores as well to provide maximum cooling but I would be very worried about getting an even mixture to all cylinders. At my current location if I have a single nozzle clog up or something, although I may lean out a bit, there will still be a relatively even mixture going to all cylinders.
That is a good compromise for safety, as your setup would be volume risky where my idea is mixture risky when it comes to component failures. You're freaking me out now...man. I'll pull my intake off and take a look again, maybe if I put the nozzles post-laminova but put them on the bottom of the intake farthest away from the intake ports so it is more failsafer.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by steelmesh
That is a good compromise for safety, as your setup would be volume risky where my idea is mixture risky when it comes to component failures. You're freaking me out now...man. I'll pull my intake off and take a look again, maybe if I put the nozzles post-laminova but put them on the bottom of the intake farthest away from the intake ports so it is more failsafer.
Not trying to freak you out just noting concerns I had when considering injecting there. I haven't seen any CFD of the intake manifold but I would guess with the nozzles that close if it's spray pattern is closer to one port than the other that port would get more spray than the other. I would also guess that putting them just on the other side of the cores at the bottom of the intake will promote better mixing like you are saying.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:46 AM

AEM infinity mounted

Don't mind the dirty carpet from drilling hole through firewall.

Also got my pinout diagrams complete.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:10 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
That looks like a lot of work..
Old 03-05-2019, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
That looks like a lot of work..
It was a lot of double and triple checking because if I run one wrong wire it could damage the ECU at worst or cause me hours possibly days of troubleshooting. I ran one wire from the ECU to the firewall last night just to find out that the crimpers I bought don't work very well with the small Molex pins on the infinity connector. So now waiting on tools again. There are a few things I can do in the meantime like clean up the existing engine harness down to what it will need to run the speedo, tac, fuel gage, and power steering.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:38 AM

Just go stand alone they said, it will be easy they said

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: jdbaugh1 official "build" thread