Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.2L L61 Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/)
-   -   L61 Turbo/Super (forced induction) Information Thread (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/l61-turbo-super-forced-induction-information-thread-26325/)

Halfcent 07-18-2006 07:45 PM

L61 Turbo/Super (forced induction) Information Thread

Here is the most current data as of June 16, 2008:

There are 2 retail turbo kits available for the 2005-06 Cobalt 2.2L (L61)

Alpine developments kit can be bought at retail and is completely user installable. It uses a piggyback tune.

Garrett's Alpha kit can also be bought at retail and is completely user installable. It uses a flash tune.

The 2007 model year has switched to the E37 ECM. The above kits won't work on it or later models.

HP Tuners hates us. That's just the way it is, so get used to it. They don't support any 2.2L ecotec. They support just about every other Ecotec, just not ours. I have no idea why.

Trifecta can do "through-the-mail" tuning of the E16 for both manuals and automatics. That's about all we have right now, but it's better then nothing.

SCT Flash is supporting the E16 as part of the Garrett kit. But they don't support it in their "Advantage 3" tuner software. They are probably under contract with Garrett not to include it.

Hahn Race Craft has recently released their full turbo kit for the LSJ engines. It can be made to physically fit and work with the L61 engines, but you will still need a tune. If you can get the kit on, and get Trifecta to make a tune for you, you would probably have the best system possible for the car right now. But it will be expensive (the boat I'm in, ofcourse!)

Below is body of my original post before these kits became available. I thought it made more sense to leave it here and annotate it rather then just remove it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are turbo charged Cobalts in the world. But almost none of them are street legal cars. They are mostly race cars. The Streetable Cobalts I have seen are still using piggyback tuning, which would not pass emmisions.

There are turbo charged street legal L61's in the world. But they are J-bodies which use a different computer.

There are other prototype cars, like the Hahn Racecraft JIN tuner transformation Cobalt. But none are a retail sale kit yet.

There are GMPP supercharger kits for the Ecotec, but they are for the J-bodies, which have a completely different ECM.

Other companies I know of that will have kits for our cars upon successful tuning software are Hahn Race Craft, Banks, STS, and Tag Racecraft. I'll add others as I hear of them.

Hahn has been working a kit for over two years now. They had limited success on the JIN tuner transformation Cobalt using just an FMU, but had no ignition tuning ability. They have since tried other options, but are having a problem with the E16's PE (power enrichment). Without the ability to reflash, they haven't defeated that issue. Here is the link.

STS claims to be getting tuning support from Nelson Performance. I have spoken with Nelson Performance and they can only support the LSJ and LE5. They have no support for the L61. There are pictures of an L61 equipped with the kit later in this thread, but Nelson knows nothing of it. I haven't heard back from STS about where that car is.

Garrett showed their kit at the 2006 SEMA show. It was an engine mock-up only. Here is the thread link.. Since then, they have updated their web site with the kit information.

Haven't heard anything from Banks.

Tag Racecrafts kit is for the LSJ. However, they claim it will work on any model ecotec. It is said to be in development.

sshaner 07-18-2006 07:48 PM

There are turbo charged Cobalts in the world. But none of them are street legal cars. They are all race cars.

i must disagree with that statement, there was a ls cobalt that was turbo charged on the speed channel on NOPI Nights, and it had 500whp and street legal

Halfcent 07-18-2006 07:57 PM

I'll you give that. But they are using high octane race gas while on the track to achieve 500HP, which isn't street legal. If they used the highest street legal octane gas (about 93 depending on where you live), they will only get in the mid 300HP range. Also, they aren't using the stock ECM to achieve that. And hence they don't have power steering, electronic throttle, or working instruments.

Additionally, above 500HP, the stock coil-on-plug ignition system no longer works. You must use an aftermarket system, like the Moroso distributor style system, which is not street legal.

sshaner 07-18-2006 07:58 PM

there is no way they are getting 200whp more for racing fuel , the funny thing is they said it is 500whp on the street

Pyros777 07-18-2006 08:09 PM

The bottom line is there are no turbo kits on the market for your average joe yet.

Halfcent 07-18-2006 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by sshaner
there is no way they are getting 200whp more for racing fuel , the funny thing is they said it is 500whp on the street

Actually, yes you can. The increased stability of the fuel allows for much higher boost. Ever seen a video of a 1000HP Toyota Supra? They can call it street legal because they can put 93 octane gas in the tank and the car will run. But it will only be able to use a fraction of it's boost, and it will make much less power.

Sure, guys might actually go drive their 1000HP cars on the street with race gas. But it's illegal. So is speeding, but I do it every day. I assure you, the Cobalt you watched can not street legally produce 500 WHP.

Joewit 07-18-2006 11:03 PM

Sunuco has street legal 100 octane

artawesome 07-18-2006 11:32 PM

well 1/2cents...this is your Pandora box thread! but at least you stepped up to the plate on this subjected. well see what happens:twothumbs

06Pursuit 07-19-2006 12:52 PM

Finaly now we can see an end to the is there a turbo yet? is there a turbo yet? is there a turbo yet? is there a turbo yet? is there a turbo yet?
THX HALFCENT!

jonnymerk 07-19-2006 04:51 PM

is there a ......:lol:

artawesome 07-19-2006 11:52 PM

well while we wait for our F/I and tuning, now would be a great time to ask what should we do to our 2.2s to get it ready for F/I?

Halfcent 07-20-2006 01:05 AM

You don't have to do anything if you don't want to. The engine and trans can safely handle 250HP without modification. More actually, but that's a conservative number.

Roadrunner 07-20-2006 01:18 AM

i understand that there is no tuning software for our current e16, but what about custom turbo kits using megasquirt or fmu's? i thought there were a few turbocharged cobalts around

Wyoming_Bass 07-20-2006 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
You don't have to do anything if you don't want to. The engine and trans can safely handle 250HP without modification. More actually, but that's a conservative number.

that is what i want 250hp to the ground so we will see what happens when i hit that number

artawesome 07-21-2006 12:16 AM

but the SS S/c have upgraded...well everything. to add that extra HP i figured you would want to upgrade your suspension, better or bigger brakes etc, to beable 2 handle the power better.
so just slap the turbo/super charger on and go? just like that?

Kemo 07-30-2006 11:19 PM

No turbo out yet? Ha... YET:

http://www.hahnracecraft.com/Project...altTurbo20.htm

its coming, for us 2.2 guys... read up

punkincobalt 07-30-2006 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kemo
No turbo out yet? Ha... YET:

http://www.hahnracecraft.com/Project...altTurbo20.htm

its coming, for us 2.2 guys... read up

omg.

Kemo 07-30-2006 11:35 PM

its a reading i stumbled over. I dono if its for real or if its bs. I read on here there was a guy who sells half assed turbo kits... not sure if its the site or not... HOPEFULLY this isn't lol.

Halfcent 07-31-2006 01:46 AM

You are probably thinking about Maximum Boost, not HRC.

NJHK 07-31-2006 06:33 AM

You guys do realize that standalone units can do the job as far as fuel and ignition tuning.

Look up Megasquirt.

NJHK 07-31-2006 06:34 AM

You are probably thinking about Maximum Boost, not HRC.

Maximum Boost = The Devil

NoRemorse 07-31-2006 06:44 AM

There are, however, IONs that are turbo, that DO have the same ECM and engine.

check out turbosaturns.net

http://www.dragtimes.com/Saturn-ION-Timeslip-3755.html

NoRemorse 07-31-2006 07:02 AM

O yea, and this

http://hahnracecraft.com/ProjectVehi...altTurbo20.htm

Halfcent 07-31-2006 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by NoRemorse
There are, however, IONs that are turbo, that DO have the same ECM and engine.

check out turbosaturns.net

http://www.dragtimes.com/Saturn-ION-Timeslip-3755.html

And what is it that makes you think that turbo'ed Saturns have the same ECM as the Cobalt?

artawesome 07-31-2006 09:42 PM

would GM give Hahns the software to modify the ECU to get the turbo working right?