Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.2L L61 Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/)
-   -   LSJ head onto my L61 block (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/lsj-head-onto-my-l61-block-78153/)

slindborg 09-27-2007 04:30 AM

LSJ head onto my L61 block

Im trying to get hold of a sand cast LSJ/Saab head with some porting work for N/A tuning with the 2.4 inlet manifold.

I want some cams and had a look in the parts thread at the top of the forum and saw this
"L61 and LSJ cams can be used in an LSJ head on an L61 block, but that's a pretty advanced modification"

does that mean its a pain to fit L61 cams into the LSJ head/block combo or does that just mean swapping the head and cam/cylinder head cover for the LSJ items.

07cobaltguy 09-27-2007 09:23 AM

its more trouble than its worth dude. buy a turbo or sc

slindborg 09-27-2007 09:44 AM

trust me a turbo/SC is FAR FAR FAR mroe trouble than its worth ;)

N/A tuning ONLY no FI it simply will NOT fit.

why is fitting an LSJ head to an L61 bottom end trouble? if its simply getting various bits to fit thats not trouble... getting stuff machined isnt huge trouble... etc

409Cobalt07 09-27-2007 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by 07cobaltguy (Post 1498201)
its more trouble than its worth dude. buy a turbo or sc

^^^ i agree. its much simplier to buy a turbo/sc kit than it is to do the head swap IMO.

06blackg85ss 09-27-2007 12:22 PM

head just bolts up, just need to cap off the cam sensor... I have one for sale if you're interested. and the cams just drop in, that's it. same dimensions and pretty much everything else as the 2.2 head, just beter casting

IonNinja 09-27-2007 04:06 PM

I thought L61 cams did not work in the LSJ head due to the cam sensor being on a different cam than the LSJ cams

also how the hell is going turbo easier than a headswap? lol, tell that to the guys with blown motors trying to tune the 2.2 for boost.

06blackg85ss 09-27-2007 04:32 PM

cams are the same just about. Only difference is the LSJ exhaust cams have a keyway for the cam sensor, since the L61 does not use that sensor, just block off that part of the head, and it's the same thing.

you can't use L61 cams in an LSJ but you can use LSJ cams in an L61 I'm pretty sure.

Novajoe 09-27-2007 04:36 PM

I've been told that the lsj head doesn't bolt up to the l61 block. I haven't been told any reasons why though.

What I want to know is why do you want to use an lsj head? Are the ports bigger? Do they use bigger valves? I know the blocks are the same except for the rotating assymblies but I don't know that much about the heads.

what we need is for someone like halfcent to step in here and show/tell us the specific differences.

MVP 09-27-2007 05:38 PM

you have been told wrong. any of the ecotec heads will bolt up to anyblock bottom line. as of Right now I have a LSJ Head bolted to A LE5 shortblock. remember all the ecotec engines are based off the 2.2L L61 ECOTEC

as 06blackg85ss (paul was saying that the LSJ has a cam sensor on the head. the LSJ dont. this is why the L61 cams wont work witht he LSJ head. they will physically fit into the cylinder head though. you could block it off like paul is saying but I dont know of anyone who has done it or if its a pain in the ass to get running. heres some pics of my LSJ 2.0L head going on to MY LE5 2.4L short block :lol: I'm watch my friends do all my work for me :lol: no seriously im just letting them get thier hands wet too they deserve it.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k7...39/build17.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k7...39/build18.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k7...39/build16.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k7...839/build9.jpg

heres my best buds out here in cali
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k7...839/build6.jpg

Novajoe 09-27-2007 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by MVP (Post 1499766)
you have been told wrong. any of the ecotec heads will bolt up to anyblock bottom line. as of Right now I have a LSJ Head bolted to A LE5 shortblock. remember all the ecotec engines are based off the 2.2L L61 ECOTEC

as 06blackg85ss (paul was saying that the LSJ has a cam sensor on the head. the LSJ dont. this is why the L61 cams wont work witht he LSJ head. they will physically fit into the cylinder head though. you could block it off like paul is saying but I dont know of anyone who has done it or if its a pain in the ass to get running.

well that's good to know. I was thinking about swapping the lsj shortblock in once I got the s/c up and running and was told the head wouldn't bolt up. If it will then I just have to figure out a way to get the getrag f23 bolted up to the lsj crank(don't like the lsj's gearing).

MVP 09-27-2007 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Novajoe (Post 1499802)
well that's good to know. I was thinking about swapping the lsj shortblock in once I got the s/c up and running and was told the head wouldn't bolt up. If it will then I just have to figure out a way to get the getrag f23 bolted up to the lsj crank(don't like the lsj's gearing).

Heres where im stuck as well.... the trans will bolt to the block but I have to have a custom flywheel made to work. except im using a REDLINE/SS S/C transmission the LSJ has a 8 bolt pattern and the L61 and the LE5 have a 6 bolt crank pattern. I dopnt want to swich transmissions to a F23 because it is inferior to the Redline transmission. F35 is the name for it i think

Novajoe 09-27-2007 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by MVP (Post 1499815)
Heres where im stuck as well.... the trans will bolt to the block but I have to have a custom flywheel made to work. except im using a REDLINE/SS S/C transmission the LSJ has a 8 bolt pattern and the L61 and the LE5 have a 6 bolt crank pattern. I dopnt want to swich transmissions to a F23 because it is inferior to the Redline transmission. F35 is the name for it i think

really there's not much difference in the trannies. Except the gearing, and I hate the super short 1st gear the f35 offers then followed by the super long gears with the others... I'd rather use the f23 and get an upgraded clutch and lsd for it. What I'm wondering is if I just used the stock f35 flywheel and clutch setup, would the f23 input shaft line up?

This is all assuming no tuning becomes available for the 4t45e. I'd love to have the chance to mess with an auto set-up, but it's not looking good.

409Cobalt07 09-27-2007 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja (Post 1499443)
I thought L61 cams did not work in the LSJ head due to the cam sensor being on a different cam than the LSJ cams

also how the hell is going turbo easier than a headswap? lol, tell that to the guys with blown motors trying to tune the 2.2 for boost.

if i had a choice i would do a turbo cause it seems much simplier to do. i think i could install a turbo kit in a weekend where as if i was swaping to a different kind of head i would be takin a chance on things not going back together. now if it was just replacing a warped or cracked head with the same one that would be different. but as far as a diff. one i wouldnt chance it just cause i only have my one car and dont want to chance having it on jackstands for too long.

randizzle 09-27-2007 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by 409Cobalt07 (Post 1499942)
if i had a choice i would do a turbo cause it seems much simplier to do. i think i could install a turbo kit in a weekend where as if i was swaping to a different kind of head i would be takin a chance on things not going back together. now if it was just replacing a warped or cracked head with the same one that would be different. but as far as a diff. one i wouldnt chance it just cause i only have my one car and dont want to chance having it on jackstands for too long.

agreed... especially since there is a kit. head swaps are not exactly easy to do at all whereas a turbo doesn't really require any internal work. if you wanted to run a lot of boost, then you might be tearing it apart.

06blackg85ss 09-27-2007 07:42 PM

turbo was definitely easier than doing a head swap.... trust me lol

IonNinja 09-27-2007 08:05 PM

I'm not talking about physically installing it, any retard can do that...

I'm talking about an installed and running correctly turbo setup...if you don't think it'll take you longer to set that up than a head swap which can take 1-3 days you're crazy. Either that or you are the supreme tuner that the 2.2 world has been looking for...

MVP 09-27-2007 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Novajoe (Post 1499834)
really there's not much difference in the trannies. Except the gearing, and I hate the super short 1st gear the f35 offers then followed by the super long gears with the others... I'd rather use the f23 and get an upgraded clutch and lsd for it. What I'm wondering is if I just used the stock f35 flywheel and clutch setup, would the f23 input shaft line up?

This is all assuming no tuning becomes available for the 4t45e. I'd love to have the chance to mess with an auto set-up, but it's not looking good.

I can tell you this, F23 input shaft is piloted (well I'm almost certain) and the F35 is not. (that im certain about)

Originally Posted by IonNinja (Post 1500161)
I'm not talking about physically installing it, any retard can do that...

I'm talking about an installed and running correctly turbo setup...if you don't think it'll take you longer to set that up than a head swap which can take 1-3 days you're crazy. Either that or you are the supreme tuner that the 2.2 world has been looking for...

1-3 days for a head swap thats slow :)

smartmlp 09-27-2007 08:21 PM

Any reason why you would want to do this? I can see the 2.4L since it has VVT, but why the LSJ?

06blackg85ss 09-27-2007 08:41 PM

designed and built the turbo setup with Kenny from C/A in basically 2 days. If we had the right parts it would have been tuned and completely ready to go at thge end of the day. and I have a 2.0 not a 2.2 though

JRelly 09-27-2007 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by MVP (Post 1499815)

Have you dynoed your car yet. Id like to see what kind of numbers you are runnign with yor setup.

MVP 09-28-2007 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by JRelly (Post 1500294)
Have you dynoed your car yet. Id like to see what kind of numbers you are runnign with yor setup.

Nope I jsut got back from a deployment. I havent even put the motor in the car yet. it will be soon though i promiss. :)

Originally Posted by smartmlp (Post 1500209)
Any reason why you would want to do this? I can see the 2.4L since it has VVT, but why the LSJ?

well for starters the LSJ head flows better then the LE5 and I didnt want to mess with trying to make the VVT work with my RL. VVT would kick ass though.

IonNinja 09-28-2007 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by MVP (Post 1500181)
1-3 days for a head swap thats slow :)

well when you drop your timing chain tensioner and it disappears into space that causes some delay :lol: ok i'll admit changing the head on the 2.2 was a pain in the ass and I never wanna do it again :lol:

slindborg 09-28-2007 02:05 AM

Right i want the LSJ head as its a) sand cast so stronger and not suceptable to over zealous spark plug tightening cracks in cylinders 1 and 4 b)its sand cast and is not made like an aero bar (not sure if you guys ahve a simlar chocolate bar that is full of bubbles of air lol)

Belive me, the 2.2 i have isnt in a cobalt and therefore a turbo option is totally non existent, and the S/C is a little more trouble tooa s I would have to go standalone as no tuner can really sort the ecu for cheap here (a rough guide is that "tuners" charge $10K for an S/C conversion to get to 230bhp...... hmm yeah ok lol)
engine is behind the driverhttp://lh6.google.com/lindborg.stuar...0/DSC04237.JPG

So I'd need LSJ cams in the LSJ head then? or can the L61 cams go in and it run fine but have to block off a seperate sensor hole..?

sweet looking build MVP :D

JRelly 09-28-2007 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by slindborg (Post 1501293)
Right i want the LSJ head as its a) sand cast so stronger and not suceptable to over zealous spark plug tightening cracks in cylinders 1 and 4 b)its sand cast and is not made like an aero bar (not sure if you guys ahve a simlar chocolate bar that is full of bubbles of air lol)

Belive me, the 2.2 i have isnt in a cobalt and therefore a turbo option is totally non existent, and the S/C is a little more trouble tooa s I would have to go standalone as no tuner can really sort the ecu for cheap here (a rough guide is that "tuners" charge $10K for an S/C conversion to get to 230bhp...... hmm yeah ok lol)
engine is behind the driverhttp://lh6.google.com/lindborg.stuar...0/DSC04237.JPG

So I'd need LSJ cams in the LSJ head then? or can the L61 cams go in and it run fine but have to block off a seperate sensor hole..?

sweet looking build MVP :D

Is that your car?

slindborg 09-28-2007 04:57 AM

yesh