2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Secondary Air Injection on late production 2006 L61's

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 06 1/2's have it.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If its an RPO code, it should have nearly nothing to do with model year other than the option being available or not. Cali emissions vehicles can be sold anywhere.

Originally Posted by Halfcent
There was one concern that the technician had concerning all of these issues. The VIN numbers. Since the VIN is stored in the ECM, GM Dealer World may not allow the ECM program to be changed because the changes asked for don't match the file information for that VIN. We'll see what happens.
This was my original concern.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Witt
If its an RPO code, it should have nearly nothing to do with model year other than the option being available or not. Cali emissions vehicles can be sold anywhere.
They did not start including them until late 06. For some reason they made changes at that point to include this and make the antenna stud the size of the 07 (7mm)

Not all 07's have SAI I believe it became dependent on where the car was going. I was under the impression that ALL 07's had it but some members have said that their 07's were not infected but this disease
Old 07-08-2007, 10:08 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We have verified that the method described above for deleting SAI from your ECM does in fact work! Yeay! So all you SAI guys can do intakes and exhaust manifolds now.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:23 AM

We have verified that the method described above for deleting SAI from your ECM does in fact work! Yeay! So all you SAI guys can do intakes and exhaust manifolds now.
So since you would need a Tech II to complete this, you would need a really good friend at a dealer...correct?

Also would the same RPO apply to the 07's? Looking at this page, I'm not sure... http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...vehicleID=3678

Last edited by kkanowitz; 07-09-2007 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-09-2007, 01:48 AM

WOW! GREAT NEWS! Finally we have vanquished SAI, now I wish I didn't resell that LSJ Exhaust Manifold I bought. So can you explain exactly how one would go about having their SAI deleted? Do we need a really good friend at the dealer?
Old 07-09-2007, 02:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by OrngBalt
They did not start including them until late 06. For some reason they made changes at that point to include this and make the antenna stud the size of the 07 (7mm)

Not all 07's have SAI I believe it became dependent on where the car was going. I was under the impression that ALL 07's had it but some members have said that their 07's were not infected but this disease
kinda of like california smog emissions requirements for certain cars in california, that makes sence
Old 07-09-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm old school

Originally Posted by kkanowitz
So since you would need a Tech II to complete this, you would need a really good friend at a dealer...correct?

Also would the same RPO apply to the 07's? Looking at this page, I'm not sure... http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...vehicleID=3678
While the RPO's might be different, I am going to guess that the process is the same. Just plug in, find out what you've got now, and switch to the other one.

As far as needing a "buddy", I don't think so. You can probably get any dealership to make the switch for you, but I have no idea what they would charge. Plus, the dealerships that are actually in California might tell you no in order to cover their own ass.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:09 PM

Well, this certainly is good news for some people.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:44 PM

OK one last question. So this is how it should work correct me if I'm wrong. I go to the dealer and ask them to remove the California emission RPO for SAI via tech II. They switch it off and thats it? Will the now non functioning SAI line cause any problems or will it just sit there as a useless line?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm old school

It should just sit there useless, perfectly able to be removed.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:50 PM

And removed it will be with a CA header and ANY Intake I want!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:41 PM

One thing I'm kinda worried about: Is it possible at all that the person doing this could screw up and I guess corrupt the "firmware" on the ECM? Also, should you be able to remove all traces of the AIR pump and solenoid along with the tubes so it looks like it never even existed? I was gunna go outside and look now, anyways...
Old 07-10-2007, 12:31 AM
I'm old school

There is no danger. Unless there is some kind of problem during the writing process, the tech is just uploading to your computer, nothing fancy.

And yes, you can remove all the plumbing. But for it look completely gone, you would need either an aftermarket intake and manifold, or a stock one that never had SAI in the first place.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:56 AM

There is no danger. Unless there is some kind of problem during the writing process, the tech is just uploading to your computer, nothing fancy.

Okay, cool. I think I found a friend that can hook me up easily.

And yes, you can remove all the plumbing. But for it look completely gone, you would need either an aftermarket intake and manifold, or a stock one that never had SAI in the first place.

Alright, that's what I thought.
So I think this will work great. I'll try and get it done sometime soon. I just gotta wait for my friend to call me back on Wednesday and let me know what's up. He works at a Saturn Dealer and he said he can get me to a service guy with Tech II with no problem...so hopefully it works out. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:28 PM

i have a cobalt with the sai problem and i found out the hard way only after i had bought the k&n typhoon filter. i just went to my dealership to do this process and they used the tech 2 system hooked it up to my car then went to the computer to reprogram the emissions and they went through the program like usual but it never gave them the options of verifying the tire size, transmission type, and the emissions rpo. idk why the computer would give them that option but anyways they told me another option i could try and thats to remove the connection of the sai from my intake and plug the whole in the intake and just put a filter on the tube that would originally be connected to the intake. i just tried it so i dont know if it will work or not cause i have to let it cool down so the sai will kick in. i'll update once i know if it works or not and also i'll take some pics to show you what exactly i did
Old 07-11-2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by kloppster
i have a cobalt with the sai problem and i found out the hard way only after i had bought the k&n typhoon filter. i just went to my dealership to do this process and they used the tech 2 system hooked it up to my car then went to the computer to reprogram the emissions and they went through the program like usual but it never gave them the options of verifying the tire size, transmission type, and the emissions rpo. idk why the computer would give them that option but anyways they told me another option i could try and thats to remove the connection of the sai from my intake and plug the whole in the intake and just put a filter on the tube that would originally be connected to the intake. i just tried it so i dont know if it will work or not cause i have to let it cool down so the sai will kick in. i'll update once i know if it works or not and also i'll take some pics to show you what exactly i did
I'm not too sure about the attempted reprogramming, but for putting a filter on the SAI tube, it'll work. That's how I'm doing it right now. I had to play with it for over 3 months, but I finally got it set up to where no DTCs are set from it anymore.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:07 PM

hopefully this helps anyone who got my problem or doesnt have access to a dealership with teh tech2 system to try it on your car
Old 07-22-2007, 07:47 PM

I'm going to see if my dealership can delete my SAI via Tech II. Could someone tell me where in Tech II these settings can be found and how exactly to switch between parameters. I doubt these types of transitions are very common so I want to make sure everyting goes smoothly.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm old school

You shouldn't need that. In fact you probably want to just let the tech do it themselves. However, the process is a reflash. The tech attaches the Tech 2 to your car and downloads your current file. Then they attach the tech 2 to a GM Dealerworld computer and they look at the file. From there, they can make the necessary change to the file (as described above). The updated file is downloaded into the Tech 2. Then the tech takes the Tech 2 back to your car, and the Tech 2 reflashes your car with the new file.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:43 PM

ok.. so if i don't have this SAI tube, then do i also not have an EGR?
Old 07-30-2007, 01:53 PM

So upon asking my dealer the IMMEDIATE response was "We will not remove or eliminate ANYTHING!" he then even refused to reprogram my computer to adjust for tire size stating "If something happens in the future, we do not want it to come back that we changed the tire size in your computer"

There was a tech from this site who said he would adjust my tire size but refuses to touch SAI because he is convinced I will fail emissions inspection. I think it is going to take knowing someone to get this done. Or if anything finds a dealer willing to do this, start posting them up so some more of us can get this done.

Originally Posted by chevrule88
ok.. so if i don't have this SAI tube, then do i also not have an EGR?
There is no EGR on the Cobalt so no SAI = no worries

Last edited by OrngBalt; 07-30-2007 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-30-2007, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by OrngBalt
So upon asking my dealer the IMMEDIATE response was "We will not remove or eliminate ANYTHING!" he then even refused to reprogram my computer to adjust for tire size stating "If something happens in the future, we do not want it to come back that we changed the tire size in your computer"

There was a tech from this site who said he would adjust my tire size but refuses to touch SAI because he is convinced I will fail emissions inspection. I think it is going to take knowing someone to get this done. Or if anything finds a dealer willing to do this, start posting them up so some more of us can get this done.
Wow, are you serious? This is going to be way harder than I thought...
Old 07-30-2007, 03:40 PM

oh great i have this sai problem aswell..
Old 08-12-2007, 12:17 PM

what are the intake systems that we can get if we are indeed plauged by SAI?

Quick Reply: Secondary Air Injection on late production 2006 L61's