2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Secondary Air Injection on late production 2006 L61's

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a question can anyone help me i have sai and if i put a header on without gettin sai pump turned off will my car go into limp mode or will my check engine light just stay on???????
Old 02-22-2009, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by domesticdisturbance6
i have a question can anyone help me i have sai and if i put a header on without gettin sai pump turned off will my car go into limp mode or will my check engine light just stay on???????
You will only see an engine light. But also remember that if you go for emissions testing you won't pass.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:08 AM

im not worried about that... so it wont mess anything up beside a light?
Old 02-22-2009, 02:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by domesticdisturbance6
im not worried about that... so it wont mess anything up beside a light?
Yeah, but thats no little thing, because its not like the light will tell you when you set any other codes......Youll get used to seeing it on and going "eh...its just the AIR" and youll ignore it an never know when a new code has set.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:48 PM

if you dont take his advice ^^^ then you're crazy. lol this man knows his ****
Old 02-22-2009, 07:03 PM

my light is always on anyways cause of my intake
Old 02-23-2009, 09:02 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Then get it fixed. Do not tolerate a constant MIL. You should have a scanner in your door pocket.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Certain late production model 2006 and on Cobalts with L61 (2.2L) engines had an optional emmisions system called Secondary Air Injection (SAI) added to it. This is a control system that added fresh air to the exhaust manifold to help burn off unused gases from the engine prior to entering the catalytic converter. It was required for California emmisions and I think some New York stuff too. The issue caused problems for people wanting to use aftermarket intakes and manifolds due to the lack of provisions for the system. At present, K&N is the only aftermarket intake system that provides for SAI. There are no aftermarket headers at this time, and probably never will be.

SAI is not Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR). It is actually the exact opposite. SAI adds fresh air to the exhaust. EGR routes exhaust gas back into the induction. While the Ecotec originally had a casting provision in the cylinder head for EGR, it was never used on any known models. The provision was deleted in the 2005 model year, however certain parts of the orginal casting still remain evident on the current production head.

Here are older threads on the topic:
2.2 Header
LSJ Header
Air pump line
Header for 2.2
EGR Bypass
Intake installation
EGR installation
Header installation
Header installation

If you have the system, your exhaust manifold will have a mounting provision right on top center for the air valve.

And you will have an extra line coming off of your air box.

The system can be best explained with some pictures. Heres the Patriot Performance cylinder head with some highlighting:

You can see on top the old casting for EGR. It was never used. On the Cobalt, and all 2005 and later Ecotecs, this was removed. However, the entry passages are still there in the manifold flanges. They don't go anywhere, they are dead end holes. They probably left them there so they wouldn't have to change the manifold flange designs.

Air is circulated through the actual flange of the exhaust manifold. Here's what it looks like:

It gets around the exhaust ports via the cross over passages in the head, and is then directed at the back of the exhaust valves via the passages in the head.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to qoute a post that is later in the thread:

This technique has been verified as a legitimate method of deleting SAI from your car in a completely legal way, as long as you don't live in California (sorry West coasters!). You would require either an aftermarket intake and exhaust manifold, or a way to block off the plumbing on the stock parts, but it does work.
i have a 07 cobalt 2.2 and i don't have that secondary line on my intake does that mean that i don't have sai is there a nothing way to tell. I'M SO CONFUSED.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:18 PM

check this out, secondary air provision??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...Q5fAccessories

anyone?? suggestions, thoughts??

Last edited by bigdogstokes16; 03-27-2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-27-2009, 11:01 PM

not made for sai. and besides they look like **** and i would never buy a header from a company called trendgear.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:30 AM

no, thats a completely unneeded EGR passage.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:43 PM

i tried
Old 03-30-2009, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
no, thats a completely unneeded EGR passage.
is there a way to find out if i have sai i haired that some sport packaged cobalt did not have sai do you any thing about this or did i miss under stand if . and is there a way around it other then deleting it i have to pass inspection
Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 PM

take a loot at your stock airbox. if there is a small 90 angle tube coming off of it in addition to the one that SHOULD be there then you have sai. or easy way to check is look to the back of your engine block. if there's a big ugly pump at the back you have sai.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 AM

If youve got SAI, youll have the valve bolted to the back of the head, above the exhaust manifold....its an aluminum job the size of a small soup can and had a black rubber hose and an electrical connector, youll also have an approx 1" black plastic tube coming out of the side of your airfilter box. there will be a 3/4" metal tube running along where the trans and engine bolt together on the drivers side of car, AND there will be an electric motor(pump) bolted to the front of your oil pan. Its really easy to tell if youve got SAI. You need a tune to turn the system off or disable codes if you plan on running a header that doesnt work with it
Old 03-31-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm old school

Originally Posted by y07cobalt2.2:]
is there a way to find out if i have sai i haired that some sport packaged cobalt did not have sai do you any thing about this or did i miss under stand if . and is there a way around it other then deleting it i have to pass inspection
Or you could just read post number 1 at the beginning of the thread...
Old 03-31-2009, 11:59 PM

Thumbs up

tell me thats a good thing right because i dont have anything like that on the air box and if i did i didnt do anything to fix it so i must not have it. so tell me that is a good thing.

Or you could just read post number 1 at the beginning of the thread...
that was the part that confused me it didnt specify if it was sai or egr in the pics

Originally Posted by Maven
If youve got SAI, youll have the valve bolted to the back of the head, above the exhaust manifold....its an aluminum job the size of a small soup can and had a black rubber hose and an electrical connector, youll also have an approx 1" black plastic tube coming out of the side of your airfilter box. there will be a 3/4" metal tube running along where the trans and engine bolt together on the drivers side of car, AND there will be an electric motor(pump) bolted to the front of your oil pan. Its really easy to tell if youve got SAI. You need a tune to turn the system off or disable codes if you plan on running a header that doesnt work with it
that explains a lot thanks i will under stand that perfectly. this is a new hobby for me i always had some what fast cars this is the first won im trying to build.

Last edited by y07cobalt2.2:]; 03-31-2009 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-01-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm old school

Originally Posted by 'y07cobalt2.2:
that was the part that confused me it didnt specify if it was sai or egr in the pics.
You can not be serious. Really? I think maybe you need to re-read the title of the thread, and the first two paragraphs of the thread that specifically say this is SAI and not EGR.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:20 PM

Thumbs up

You can not be serious. Really? I think maybe you need to re-read the title of the thread, and the first two paragraphs of the thread that specifically say this is SAI and not EGR.
the paragraph did say the diff but in the pic it did not but if i miss understood sorry like i said im new at this but thank u for clearing that up
Old 06-01-2009, 12:23 PM

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone here could tell me if my car (manifold) has SAI? I posted some pictures and not sure if I've taken the right ones. It's an 07 LS. Thanks (please excuse the noob)

Old 06-01-2009, 01:10 PM

if you got that picture clean of the heat shield over the exhaust manifold without having a big cylinder blocking your view you don't.

and i think non-sai cars only have one cat. sai ones have two. check on that too.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by blackbolt89
if you got that picture clean of the heat shield over the exhaust manifold without having a big cylinder blocking your view you don't.

and i think non-sai cars only have one cat. sai ones have two. check on that too.
I have SAI and only one cat, same with most cobalts, the other is a resonator...and no you don't have SAI
Old 06-01-2009, 01:23 PM

oh really? so that means my car has TWO resonators?

cause there's two cat like things on my DP and a resonator on my catback...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...g?t=1163963138

heres someone elses picture showing that there is clearly TWO cats.

if you had read like the 3rd page of this thread you'd have seen that.

you get two cats if your car is from california or new york.

its a common misconception that most people think one is a resonator.

Last edited by blackbolt89; 06-01-2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-01-2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by blackbolt89
oh really? so that means my car has TWO resonators?

cause there's two cat like things on my DP and a resonator on my catback...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...g?t=1163963138

heres someone elses picture showing that there is clearly TWO cats.

if you had read like the 3rd page of this thread you'd have seen that.

you get two cats if your car is from california or new york.

its a common misconception that most people think one is a resonator.
dude thats crazy....i got stuck with one of those friggin california SAI cars and I only have those two cats and then its straight (not literally) back to the muffler...thats weird... so I literally have no resonator only two cats....interesting...

EGH...just went out and looked....I think I had a blonde moment.....your right two cats...and a resonator...I got the locations mixed up...
Old 06-01-2009, 08:24 PM

lol man don't worry about it. when someone said that my sai car had two i was like no way jose. went out and was like

they seriously went overkill with this SAI ****. i'm pretty sure that 2.2s don't produce that much emissions. i just never understood this system.

Quick Reply: Secondary Air Injection on late production 2006 L61's