2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Spanky's 2.2 Turbo Build....Stage 2

Old 10-08-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great explaination of fuel pumps. thanks man. and great looking build man. gettin mine built as well. did you stay with stock sleeves right?
Old 10-08-2010, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stenguyen1
great explaination of fuel pumps. thanks man. and great looking build man. gettin mine built as well. did you stay with stock sleeves right?
Thanks. Yes engine is stock from oil pan to valve cover. I see no need to replace anything until it breaks, although I may do valve springs at some point.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by csementuh
Thanks. Yes engine is stock from oil pan to valve cover. I see no need to replace anything until it breaks, although I may do valve springs at some point.
ok thats kool. i was kinda asking spankey monkey if he stayed with stock sleeves lol
Old 10-08-2010, 11:41 AM

i did stay stock because i don't plan on powering this bitch past 350 in it's present form. the lsj and l61 have the same sleeves but the l61's compression won't allow for the same high boost levels as found on the turbo lsj's. all said and done my engine will see the same power levels on less boost but would be just as stressed so i'm shooting for 280 as my current DD/weekend warrior.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
OK I'm sorry, but I'm going to correct the fuel pump misinformation in this thread...
Great information, although, I stand my ground on the following..

For sure though, the LSJ pump does send fuel at a higher rate of pressure than the L61, otherwise known as psi.

The LSJ and L61 also DO in fact use a different fuel filter to support this higher rate of fuel flow. It is a completely different part number.

^ As per the GM Build book. I own it for both cars.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx
Great information, although, I stand my ground on the following..

For sure though, the LSJ pump does send fuel at a higher rate than the L61.

The LSJ and L61 also DO in fact use a different fuel filter to support this higher rate of fuel flow. It is a completely different part number.

^ As per the GM Build book. I own it for both cars.
Fixed it for you. Pumps cannot produce pressure on their own. You're cofusing flow and pressure. Two seperate principals in physics. A pump sucks in fluid and spits it back out, which does nothing to build pressure. Same as boost, pressure is a restriction.

GM may make different part numbers for the filters (which I have no way to verify), however if you look at aftermarket solutions, the part number is the same for all of the Cobalt models (except LNF). I have the same filter on a 2.0 SC and a 2.2 and both cars run stellar. I have a BRFPS and a pump rewire with the same filter and my fuel system performs perfectly fine. What is different about the filter if the filter is different?
Old 10-08-2010, 12:01 PM

Fixed it for you. Pumps cannot produce pressure on their own. You're cofusing flow and pressure. Two seperate principals in physics. A pump sucks in fluid and spits it back out, which does nothing to build pressure. Same as boost, pressure is a restriction.

GM may make different part numbers for the filters (which I have no way to verify), however if you look at aftermarket solutions, the part number is the same for all of the Cobalt models (except LNF). I have the same filter on a 2.0 SC and a 2.2 and both cars run stellar. I have a BRFPS and a pump rewire with the same filter and my fuel system performs perfectly fine. What is different about the filter if the filter is different?
You're 100% sure, that the flow of fuel, is not measured in psi? Wtf..

I'm not sure what's different, I'm trying to see if they say anything in the build book, but all it says is that it's a different part number, and it is built accordingly, to support a higher rate of fuel flow.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:13 PM

psi is pressure bro not flow rate.

l/ph would be flow rate

Last edited by Spanky's Monkey; 10-08-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-08-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Spanky's Monkey

l/ph would be flow rate
Exactly.

Shadow, not trying to cause a ruckus, but that's how it goes... Look up the specs for any fuel pump, and you will see they are spec'd in a l/hr or some other amount/time measurement.

Also I am genuinely interested in the different fuel filters, because if that is so, then I have a wrong part on one of my cars...
Old 10-08-2010, 12:22 PM

gm has changed part numbers hundreds of times and the same part will have its number changed 3 or 4 times i've talked to a number of gm parts guys about this.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:25 PM

gm has changed part numbers hundreds of times and the same part will have its number changed 3 or 4 times i've talked to a number of gm parts guys about this.
Very true... It's even worse the older a car gets as parts are revised or modified and used as replacements.

Anyway I don't want to muddy up your build thread anymore than I already have. Keep up the sweet turbo build!
Old 10-08-2010, 12:53 PM

yeah i'm driving an auto

Awesome I forgot about that, I'm going with this option, 4T40E | 4T45E | Transmission Rebuild Kit
Called and talked to the guys there and they said it could easily withstand 400WTRQ. Ill be installing it within a couple months. So I'll let you know how it goes
OK I'm sorry, but I'm going to correct the fuel pump misinformation in this thread...

First of all, pumps don't 'pump at a certain psi'. Pumps only flow liquid at certain flow rate usually measured at a certain l/hr. A fuel regulator and restrictions in a line is what causes pressure usually measured in psi. Volume and pressure are directly proportional in this matter, and the fuel system could supply a ton of fuel at a low pressure, or not so much fuel at a very high pressure. This is the reason that fuel injectors, fuel pumps, and fuel systems are upgraded in cars because in the end the system cannot support enough fuel going into the cylinders.

The LSJ and the L61 use the *exact* same fuel filter. I recently changed the fuel filter in my 07' SS/SC and my GF's 08' LT, and it was the exact same filter, lines, etc, however a different pump is in the tank. The fuel filter has *nothing* to do with fuel flow or fuel pressure, unless you want to get technical and say that the restriction of the filter causes increased pressure and decreased fuel flow in a small sense. The fuel filter is however where the stock system returns fuel to the tank. Yes, the Cobalt stock has a 'return style fuel system', however it is at the rear of the car, and is not boost referenced or anything, but instead has a simple regulator in the canister in the tank). The fuel pump flows fuel from the tank through the feed line, to the filter, where the flow is split inside the filter, hence the 1 inlet and 2 outlets. Some fuel is sent up to the engine, while the other portion of fuel is sent back to the tank via the return line where it passes though a ball bearing and spring regulator where it is then difused and splashed over the fuel pump to help cool it. That return line to the tank and the regulator causing a restriction is what causes the 58psi stock fuel pressure.

Look at all of the people running E85 or high boost high fuel applications who are still using the stock LSJ pump... The stock LSJ pump after 2005 is a great pump and it flows as much if not more than the Walbro. The 2005 LSJ pump is junk however. The fuel system efficiency can further be increased by using a return style regulator system or rewiring the fuel pump for more voltage hence stability and flow.

I am not sure of the specs on the 2.2's fuel pump, but I'm sure it is not intended to flow near as much fuel volume. If you have a 2006 or 2007 LSJ pump, use it. And no, you can't 'burn u[' a pump in that sense. Yes, it's an electric motor and will fatigue and wear out like anything else, but it's not like the faster you go the harder it pumps... The fuel pump will fail just as easily cruising on a 500 miles trip as it will doing back to back dragstrip passes.

Yes, the LNF is different... The filter is in tank in the LNF. The LNF uses some sort of cam driven fuel pump on top of the engine as well. The fuel pressures are wayyyyyyy higher to support the direct injection. I have never torn one apart like I have a LSJ system so I won't pretend to know anymore about the LNF lol.
GOOD INFO! Thanks!!! I'll use this one till it burns up I suppose. This is my third fuel pump however, lol all under warranty at least.

Originally Posted by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx
You're 100% sure, that the flow of fuel, is not measured in psi? Wtf..

I'm not sure what's different, I'm trying to see if they say anything in the build book, but all it says is that it's a different part number, and it is built accordingly, to support a higher rate of fuel flow.
PSI isn't a flow rate...
Old 10-08-2010, 01:04 PM

i did stay stock because i don't plan on powering this bitch past 350 in it's present form. the lsj and l61 have the same sleeves but the l61's compression won't allow for the same high boost levels as found on the turbo lsj's. all said and done my engine will see the same power levels on less boost but would be just as stressed so i'm shooting for 280 as my current DD/weekend warrior.
280, is all you looking for, for this build? i was at 260 with my m62 before i blew my piston. on a 2.9 pulley.
thought maybe you were looking past 300
Old 10-08-2010, 02:10 PM

ultimately yes i'd love to see my 350whp goal but the trans wont make it and the wife is standing on my skull to get the car back on the road. my dreams can come later.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:48 PM

o i understand now lol. once you said wife i was like o **** i should have shut my mouth. lol but i would tell my wife nothing about my build than when she drives it and tries to pass a car and guns it. and the turbo spools up and she is like wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol be the funniest **** ever.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:40 PM

she's not a car guy at all but she backs me on every ******* decision i make even if she adamantly disagrees.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:46 PM

"is it in yet" lulz
Old 10-08-2010, 03:54 PM

dude go **** yerself sidewayz.....lulz..........
Old 10-08-2010, 03:56 PM

................wait..................i get. still stands......hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah... .................................................. .................................................. ........................................all the ******* way to the crazy house
Old 10-08-2010, 04:04 PM

dude go **** yerself sidewayz.....lulz..........
haha i can't say anything i have no boost lol
Old 10-08-2010, 04:12 PM

so what are your plans now? i once had a dream where i had an evo 8/9 mr for dd/auto-x and my cobalt was a sick ass drag sleeper.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:22 PM

Did you blow a piston too elecblue?
Old 10-08-2010, 04:48 PM

l/ph would be flow rate
Yeah, but there is still pressure in the fuel lines, is what I mean. Which means there is pressure that occurs from the pump, all the way to the injectors.

Exactly.

Shadow, not trying to cause a ruckus, but that's how it goes... Look up the specs for any fuel pump, and you will see they are spec'd in a l/hr or some other amount/time measurement.

Also I am genuinely interested in the different fuel filters, because if that is so, then I have a wrong part on one of my cars...
I'm sure it is a different part. If they just changed the numbers then that means they are selling the wrong filters to people.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:57 PM

my new pump came from an 06 redline. good ****.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:13 PM

Well ****, you're good then!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spanky's 2.2 Turbo Build....Stage 2