Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.2L L61 Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/)
-   -   what is shift plus? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/what-shift-plus-250624/)

kento19 05-12-2011 09:57 PM

what is shift plus?

anybody know what shift plus is? apparently it makes shifting faster or something for automatics? it's only like $40. anybody know anything about it?

2007maroong5 05-12-2011 10:28 PM

I have a shiftplus on my 2.2 auto. It boosts line pressure on the tranny, giving you a firmer shift. There are 2 stages. 1 for daily driving and 1 for fun. I don't really know if it changes the shift points,but maybe someone else can chime in. I got mine for $20 used and I love it. It helps save on the tranny when I pull my ATV or jetski. There is a how to to install it, and I think it has some info as well.

cobraceralt 05-13-2011 01:33 AM

i have it on my 07 2.2 and i havent had turned it off since i installed it lol. if you drive in I gear the tires will chirp from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd but at WOT of course and stage 2 is a little overkill i think ive only used it a couple times for racing but i would definitely recommend it to other autos

kento19 05-13-2011 01:36 AM

im still not clear on what it does. does it make the shift from each gear happen quicker as if your driving a stick? i have an aftermarket muffler on my car and it annoys me since my automatic causes the sound to be long and constant. with this will it make it sound like a standard? does it make your car any faster?

cobraceralt 05-13-2011 12:54 PM

There is almost no shift lag between gears. It doesn't necessarily make it FASTER but with gears shifting faster there is a somewhat heightened acceleration

redcobalt07 05-13-2011 01:05 PM

I have a B&M STS

olivecj 05-13-2011 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by kento19 (Post 5777389)
im still not clear on what it does. does it make the shift from each gear happen quicker as if your driving a stick? i have an aftermarket muffler on my car and it annoys me since my automatic causes the sound to be long and constant. with this will it make it sound like a standard? does it make your car any faster?

A tune is better though. However for the money its not a bad mod.

06_cobalt 05-13-2011 08:04 PM

The shift plus makes the tranny shift firmer and it reduces heat and slippage. And it does it by electronically recalibrating the hydraulic system.
And as olivecj said a tune would be much better but if your on a budget it isn't a bad choice.

C_A_D88 05-13-2011 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by cobraceralt (Post 5777385)
i have it on my 07 2.2 and i havent had turned it off since i installed it lol. if you drive in I gear the tires will chirp from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd but at WOT of course and stage 2 is a little overkill i think ive only used it a couple times for racing but i would definitely recommend it to other autos

good luck when you uninstall it, you know these cars have a learn down, so if you have it on all the time, never turn it off, your car start to learn it, and adjust for it, and it will be like it wasnt on, eventually when you turn it off your shifts will be SUPER sloppy

loco-performance 05-13-2011 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by C_A_D88 (Post 5779124)
good luck when you uninstall it, you know these cars have a learn down, so if you have it on all the time, never turn it off, your car start to learn it, and adjust for it, and it will be like it wasnt on, eventually when you turn it off your shifts will be SUPER sloppy

Disconnect the battery so the system will learn all over again..

TurboTechRacing 05-13-2011 08:26 PM

We carry them in stock :)

B&M ShiftPlus Chevrolet Cobalt 2005-10 Automatic Transmission - ON SALE! - Turbo Tech Racing, LLC