2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

2.4 auto ecu tune

Old 07-19-2006, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.4 auto ecu tune

ok guys just wondering who has this done and what my options are? i know westers(tunetyme) has one for the 2.4 auto. is their anybody else who sells these tunes and dose anybody have any reviews on the tunes. also what type results will i seee? ive heard 15 whp is this true as well? thanks in advance
Old 07-19-2006, 09:40 AM

I just posted this under another thread, but here it is again for your reading pleasure:

Well I just installed my tuned ECM/TCM modules in my 2.4 auto.

The first thing I noticed was a slight lope at idle - sort of like a performance cam!

On the road, the transmission shifts harder and winds out more before it shifts (both up and down). It seems to rev a little quicker, but this is subjective.

The traction control was not touched though.

The engine runs a little hotter and there is no hesitation when my e-rams kick in at low rpm as there was previously. It definately puts a lot more torque to the ground!

As far as HP goes, I don't have a base line so to make any claims of a specific # increase - who knows? It feels stronger the more I drive - I know there's some but don't know how much yet.

High speed passing feels much better - yay torque.

I'll dyno it after I get my clear image header in (still on pre-order) and downpipe in and installed - already found the shop. I've got some 34 lb injectors (off an SS/SC) coming in just in case I run out of fuel on top.

I asked Matt to tune it for the header, so I know the tuning is a little off for now.

I'm not really going to thrash it hard until the header's on and the dyno work's done.

I'll post up the results when I'm done.

PS. Has anyone received their Clear Image header in yet?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:42 AM

sounds real nice except for the t/c part still being there
Old 07-19-2006, 05:58 PM

i'll probably keep my t/c on...even though i hate it with a passion, but its handy in the snow.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:48 PM

We could not change the way it operates just on and off . I would like to I like the idea . Ill try to find a way to hook up a switch on my HHR .
SushiDog I'm glad your happy with it. I'd like to see some times when you get the Header on. [ it's runing a little more timing advance is why it's a little hotter we tuned it for the header ]
Old 07-19-2006, 07:41 PM

You dont have a switch for traction control?
Old 07-19-2006, 09:11 PM

Matt,

Thanks for a super job. It's running even better today, now that the ECU is adjusting to my engine.

The powerband is smooth with a wide flat torque curve. It's got none of the peakiness that it evidenced before.

I can tell the timing is advanced - it's very responsive.

My wife even noticed the difference. She likes!

If you figure out a way to wire a T/C switch for your HHR please let us know which wire you tap into - inquiring minds want to know.

I'll deff post the dyno sheets when she's done. May be a while though as I haven't heard from Clear Image (header folks) in a while and the last I heard they were swamped.

I hope they're a stand up company, cause they asked us not to e-mail them for updates so they could get more work out. Well I'll give them another month and if they're not ready, there's always the new equal length JBP thats on the drawing board.....
Old 07-20-2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by sushidog
Matt,

Thanks for a super job. It's running even better today, now that the ECU is adjusting to my engine.

The powerband is smooth with a wide flat torque curve. It's got none of the peakiness that it evidenced before.

I can tell the timing is advanced - it's very responsive.

My wife even noticed the difference. She likes!

If you figure out a way to wire a T/C switch for your HHR please let us know which wire you tap into - inquiring minds want to know.

I'll deff post the dyno sheets when she's done. May be a while though as I haven't heard from Clear Image (header folks) in a while and the last I heard they were swamped.

I hope they're a stand up company, cause they asked us not to e-mail them for updates so they could get more work out. Well I'll give them another month and if they're not ready, there's always the new equal length JBP thats on the drawing board.....

Does she feel faster to 60? How are the shifts? Does it shift too hard, or smoother but just lets the rpms climb more? I really hope matt can make a switch for the t/c, that would be pretty neat.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:02 PM

Snobred,

Yes, it is quicker to 60 - seat of the pants.

When you complete the order form, you can select how firm you want your car to shift, from stock, 25%, 50% or 75% more firm. I chose 50% more.

The shifts are firm, but not harsh. By comparison, my 98 altima 2.5 shifts much harsher (more neck jerk) at full throttle than the SS (and it only has 150 hp - but no torque management.) When you just ease into it at low rpm, the tranny downshifts quicker too - this makes a huge difference in driveability.

Downshifts are butter smooth - no harshness whatsoever. This prevents the engine from lugging slightly like it used to at low - medium throttle applications. I didn't think it lugged at all before the tune, but now that I see the difference the proper downshift makes, I know it was lugging slightly before. I guess making the engine pull at low rpm helps gas mileage slightly, but its much more fun to drive now.

I would definately sport major woodage if Matt could tell us how to make a T/C switch.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:13 PM

sweet im getting mine done tomorrow, i would get my header installed but im gonna be broke
Old 07-21-2006, 08:57 AM

I would love to make the switch tomorrow but I have a special project I'm working on . When thats done I'll do my best . I still don't understand why the didn't put the dam switch in in the first place WTF GM .
Old 07-21-2006, 07:34 PM

Thanks Matt,

That's all we can ask for.

Were not worthy... Were not worthy... Were not worthy...
Old 07-21-2006, 11:45 PM

Well i got my tune today... all i can say is WOW

At test drive i didn't really give the car much because the streets were a bit crowded, but once i got on the highway man was there a difference. First let me talk about the accel, its just amazing simple as that. The transmission shifts great, no more lagging or early shifts. I cant forget the fuel improvement which was just amazing aswell, i was getting 30mpg on the highway going 70mph, i've never even seen 27mpg in this car, even on long highway trips. This flash will pay itself overtime with the mpg increase alone.

Anyone scared of sending their ecm or taking the car in shouldn't, Matt knows what he is doing and he is a pretty cool guy. Anyone who doesnt get this tune for 400 bucks is just retarded, i will post more when the weather clears up a bit.

ALL 2.4 AUTO OWNERS SHOULD GET THIS TUNE!!!

Matt, Send me one of those get flashed stickers when you get them in.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:26 AM

Congrats Snobred,

It'll feel better the more you drive as the computer "learns."

My recomendation - drive the **** out of it. In about 3 days you will see the difference.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:00 AM

i was like holy **** when i was getting out of the toll on the parkway and i had to jump over to the express lane, i didnt even floor it too hard and i was doing like 50 had to be in like 5 seconds lol.. cant wait to see how she performs once i put on the gmpp header and get a new catback... his traiblazer SS is killer, never seen one in white they look so good, hes putting a rear mounted .67 trim turbo on it.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:23 PM

If I'm gonna get a turbo system later on theres no point to getting the tune cuz you have to retune the car for the turbo correct?
Old 07-22-2006, 02:49 PM

Yes, Dragonsfire, you will have to get your car retuned for the turbo.

No, you won't have to pay for it. Matt will retune it for free - whenever you further mod your car too. All you pay for is shipping.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:53 PM

No, you won't have to pay for it. Matt will retune it for free - whenever you further mod your car too. All you pay for is shipping.
That is the same reason I have been holding off on this. But if the retune is free I can get this done next paycheck.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:38 PM

SWEET that is total greatness right there. Looks like I'm gonna get my ECM tuned soon and continue saving for a turbo kit.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
to turn T/C off just lift up on the handbreak a little till it clicks one and there gose TC
Old 07-24-2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by rcmpayne
to turn T/C off just lift up on the handbreak a little till it clicks one and there gose TC

really?

i cant imagine thats good for the car even if it is true. anyone know?
Old 07-24-2006, 05:56 PM

driving to work this morning with temps a cool 70 degrees F i pulled off 36.3mpg, on the way back at 90 degrees F it hovered around 31, 32mpg.. this is the first time im seing 30s, i was driving 60-65mph.. thank you westers!
Old 07-24-2006, 06:00 PM

Yes it will work, but the car beeps at you constantly.

You cannot possible drive this way for any length of time without going completely insane.

It won't hurt anything though, as long as you just go one click and the brakes aren't dragging. Try pushing the car both with & without to find out if the e-brake is dragging.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:02 AM

I'm glad you guys like the tune . I've had similar feelings in the HHR . sale end's on 7/31 for anyone who's intersted .
Old 11-22-2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro

lift up on the e-break one click that should turn it off

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.4 auto ecu tune