Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.4L LE5 Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-4l-le5-performance-tech-46/)
-   -   Custom 2.4L SS Turbo (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-4l-le5-performance-tech-46/custom-2-4l-ss-turbo-65227/)

Witt 07-18-2007 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by bigworm (Post 1228243)
PpAzZ1101, congrats!

I'd love to see witt's tune as an example, or maybe witt can further comment on some of the problems faced durring the tune? Such as the PE TPS enable(for part throttle boost), or having to kill the air flow tables so the pcm relies on the MAF/MAP rather then the VE? closed loop issues?

Thanks for the kind words.

Actually, the car does use a MAF/MAP blend, thats what has to be tuned out in a similar way the Solstice/Sky tuners use. No other tricks other than normal GM PE/Spark tuning after airflow was dialed in.

SSBOOST 07-18-2007 10:23 PM

Damn that tube wraps WAY around the engine and everything, what is it like 3-4 feet long? Very nicely setup though, love it. Also its giving me ideas =)

Witt 07-18-2007 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by mike25 (Post 1233279)
once someone does buy your kit they just pirate your tune and everyone will know what it is.....

Just to clear up any confusion that may arise outside of the PM I responded to:

I could care less about people stealing tunes or whatever, I don't do this for money, this is my hobby. What I do have a problem with is, when people use my tuning advice and either end up turning into internet stalkers or blow their car up on their own accord and want to slam me for it.

Honestly, tuning took literally 25 minutes to dial in, it didn't even require having the car running to hit 8% airflow error. Its not that hard, but apparantly theres some rumor on these forums that the PCM cannot be "tuned for boost" which is about the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. Even if you're not familiar with the 2.4 PCM's operation, there are plenty of resources available on the internet (HPTuners forum for example) to help you achieve the results that we did. It didn't require any special equipment, hacks or beta software to achieve (yes I've been asked that).

What people have to realize is sometimes you have to identify those who like to post advice when they themselves have 0 experience in the subject they are speaking of and actually separate the facts from fiction. Most internet forums will moderate the incorrect advice out of their forums, something that largely goes ignored here.

I'm not trying to flame you or anything but lately I've been getting a lot of PMs, most calling bullshit on being able to accomplish what we did, so I just figured I would post this to explain my side. All it takes is a bit of time and dedication and anyone can do this, however I don't think anyone wants to waste time and hold someone's hand when there are plenty of resources available to use, to properly plan a project such as this.

The point of this entire thread was to show that the 2.4 cobalt performs quite well when converted to forced induction. If a couple of guys with some spare cash and time on their hands (and 2 cases of beer) can do this, anyone can.

SSBOOST 07-18-2007 10:39 PM

So what was that parts list again? lol

Witt 07-18-2007 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by SSBOOST (Post 1233495)
So what was that parts list again? lol

lol, one rice cooker and 1.21 jigawatts of power.

SSBOOST 07-18-2007 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Witt (Post 1233505)

We already have the rice cooker as a stock cobalt and 1.21 jigs of custom turbocharged horsepower, fuckin a man....fuckin a.

Witt 07-18-2007 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by SSBOOST (Post 1233513)
We already have the rice cooker as a stock cobalt and 1.21 jigs of custom turbocharged horsepower, fuckin a man....fuckin a.

http://idiotsyncrasies.com/uploaded_...ure-740310.jpg

PpAzZ1101 07-19-2007 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by mike25 (Post 1233279)
lmao chill the fuck out dude.....at no point did i say please make a parts list....thats where your first mistake was made....i merely said maybe it would be easier to make a parts list...2nd of all....i didnt not say hey can i have your tune...i said you wouldnt want to share your tune would you.....thats where your second mistake was.....parts list isnt hard...i can do that....i was thinking maybe a convienience(sp?) thing for other people.....apparently not.....i mean shit if you really want to hold out and not share your secrets thats fine....once someone does buy your kit they just pirate your tune and everyone will know what it is.....i was just asking a few simple question....no need to turn into a "im the only one who knows how to reliably turbo a 2.4" asshat.....chill out damn...

I think you're the one that needs to chill... cause I'm fine. I simply said I wasn't going to make a parts list (because you did suggest it)... and that it wasn't my tune to share, so I wasn't going to share or sell the tune.

You're missing the point of this thread. As Witt said, we wanted to show that it can be done. There are a lot of people on this forum that said that a custom setup couldn't be done like this. There are also a lot of people that talk about doing it, but never will actually follow through with it. If you had any idea how much money, time, and energy I spent on getting the parts together and organizing this, as well as installing it then you'd understand why I'm not so eager to jump on here and give away a parts list and tuning advice. Furthermore, there are a lot of people that helped me out big time on this project including Witt, djt81185, wsfrazier, and others that aren't even on this forum. Some helped me in return for money, most helped for a few beers just because they wanted to. I don't think it's fair for me to go out and give away their hard work.

Witt and djt81185 did the tuning. I was just there to learn, as I'm not at their level when it comes to tuning yet. If the tune, or any advice for tuning, were to be shared, it would be their decision. And as you saw in Witt's post, they're not eager to share their hard work either. I don't blame them.

Furthermore, I have a thread in the classifieds attempting to sell this kit minus the tuning. We accomplished our goal and now I'm offering a BIG portion of the work for sale. So for all of those people on this forum that say, "Oh I'll go turbo once I know it can be done," there's a cheaper alternative to the Hahn kit for sale now and not one single person has bit on it. I'm willing to let the parts kit go for just about half the price of the Hahn kit which would leave the buyer with a one-day install and tuning to perform (and we've proven tuning is not that hard, let alone impossible). Basically I'm willing to sell it for less money than I have into parts and the labor to custom fabricate some of the parts included.

So you call me an asshat... but I've yet to see anyone other than Celicacobalt and myself on this website attempt to actually put a turbo on their car rather than just on their "future mods" list in their signature.

twzted 07-19-2007 07:45 AM

i know someone personally who is swappin their S/C for turbo, yea its not in yet, but he has all the parts...and slowly finding bits an pieces that aren't quite right so it is taking longer, he had it all built custom got all the parts together and is finally at the instalation stage(finacial issues came about which held the project up a while), but he has his setup somewhat listed...just basic part, but he wont give it all out either because its HIS turbo, not everyone...

i dont blame you ppazz for not giving it out ;) its your work, and it isn't easy

PpAzZ1101 07-19-2007 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by twzted (Post 1234367)
i know someone personally who is swappin their S/C for turbo, yea its not in yet, but he has all the parts...and slowly finding bits an pieces that aren't quite right so it is taking longer, he had it all built custom got all the parts together and is finally at the instalation stage(finacial issues came about which held the project up a while), but he has his setup somewhat listed...just basic part, but he wont give it all out either because its HIS turbo, not everyone...

i dont blame you ppazz for not giving it out ;) its your work, and it isn't easy

At least someone here gets it.

rlinden86 07-19-2007 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Witt (Post 1233505)

lol funny back to the future line.

ryan.

mike25 07-25-2007 10:34 PM

well after going back and reading through this thread again....i just wanted to apologize to ppazz and witt for what i said...i didnt mean to come off as an asshole...guess i was just having abad day...i think i was partially misunderstood...but thats ok it happens....and to witt...it wasnt my intention to come off as an ass saying they would pirate the tune...i was just saying thats most likely what would happen....i can completely understand you all not wanting to share your work...im planning out a turbo for my car and i now see that it is indeed a shitload of work and again i am sorry for those comments....

***just curious have you done anything with your turbo setup yet ppazz?

PpAzZ1101 07-26-2007 12:11 AM

I'm still waiting on the turbo. Turbonetics has it. Once they send me a new one or rebuild that one, I'll be putting it back on the car.

mike25 07-26-2007 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by PpAzZ1101 (Post 1256946)
I'm still waiting on the turbo. Turbonetics has it. Once they send me a new one or rebuild that one, I'll be putting it back on the car.

oh ok....i was wondering ...if you dont mind sharing....how did you setup your fuel return system?....tap the fuel tank for a return line, install return line w/fuel pressure reg. with vacuum line to mani. and that was it or was there more to yours?

and also...if you dont mind sharing...how much did the actual turbo itself run you?....im trying to decide on a turbo right now for my custom setup....pm if you want to keep it secret (lol i dont know how else to say it.)

PpAzZ1101 07-26-2007 12:28 AM

I run the stock fuel system with the exception of larger injectors. No return fuel system for me.

mike25 07-26-2007 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by PpAzZ1101 (Post 1256997)
I run the stock fuel system with the exception of larger injectors. No return fuel system for me.

are you running 60lb injectors?....not sure if you saw the question or not but how much was the turbo?(just the blower).....just trying to get an idea.....lol NJHK told me you did have one....o well easy mistake...i know this is probably a long shot....but would you mind taking a picture of just the exhaust manifold?....this is pretty much the only other physical part im trying to setup and im curious as to how you did yours...besides the injectors that is...i can figure those out though......are you going to dyno yours once you get it all back together?

PpAzZ1101 07-26-2007 12:49 AM

I'm running 42.5# injectors (SS/SC Stage 2 injectors). My specific turbo was roughly $800. I won't have a chance to take any pics of parts for a while.

As for the setup, I'll definitely dyno it after I get it back on. It won't be on any time soon though. I don't expect Turbonetics to get the turbo back to me for a while.

mike25 07-26-2007 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by PpAzZ1101 (Post 1257060)
I'm running 42.5# injectors (SS/SC Stage 2 injectors). My specific turbo was roughly $800. I won't have a chance to take any pics of parts for a while.

As for the setup, I'll definitely dyno it after I get it back on. It won't be on any time soon though. I don't expect Turbonetics to get the turbo back to me for a while.

whats the duty cycle on your injectors?....how much power do you thik its making?...lets say whp?

PpAzZ1101 07-26-2007 12:54 AM

I don't have any logs from when we were tuning. Witt might remember what the IDCs were running.

This is a total ricer guess, but I'd say roughly 240-something whp if not slightly more. The car seemed like it was running very strong on 8psi... it seemed to run stronger than any Hahn-kit equipped car I've seen in video or in person. Those are putting down 230-240whp on the dyno. It's impossible to tell though. We'll just have to wait for a dyno after I get it setup again.

mike25 07-26-2007 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by PpAzZ1101 (Post 1257072)
I don't have any logs from when we were tuning. Witt might remember what the IDCs were running.

This is a total ricer guess, but I'd say roughly 240-something whp if not slightly more. The car seemed like it was running very strong on 8psi... it seemed to run stronger than any Hahn-kit equipped car I've seen in video or in person. Those are putting down 230-240whp on the dyno. It's impossible to tell though. We'll just have to wait for a dyno after I get it setup again.

o ok ....thats still decent...and way cheaper than going the hahn route....you said 800 for the turbo?....what did you go with a t3/t4?....sounds pretty cheap...especially compared to the garretts i was looking at...which ranged from 1022 up to 1600....too steep for a turbo IMO...

***looking at your avatar i would have to say you did use the t3/t4 hybrid...lol answered my own question

PpAzZ1101 07-26-2007 09:28 AM

Yeah but mine is not a ball bearing turbo. Garrett turbos like the GT2860RS (used in the Garrett Cobalt Turbo Kit which is used as the basis for the Hahn Turbo Kit) are ball bearing and water cooled. You can get a Turbonetics T3/TO4 hybrid with ball bearings. It just costs a good bit more (comparable in price to the Garrett GT series turbos).

Personally, I don't see the justification in the extra cost. Ball bearing turbos typically spool up a lot quicker. My turbo, as you can see/hear in the video, spools hella fast. I wouldn't want/need it to spool any quicker than it does. Plus, a rebuild kit for it is fairly cheap so lifespan isn't an issue either. With proper oil supply the turbo should last fairly long anyway before needing rebuilt.

mike25 07-26-2007 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by PpAzZ1101 (Post 1257789)
Yeah but mine is not a ball bearing turbo. Garrett turbos like the GT2860RS (used in the Garrett Cobalt Turbo Kit which is used as the basis for the Hahn Turbo Kit) are ball bearing and water cooled. You can get a Turbonetics T3/TO4 hybrid with ball bearings. It just costs a good bit more (comparable in price to the Garrett GT series turbos).

Personally, I don't see the justification in the extra cost. Ball bearing turbos typically spool up a lot quicker. My turbo, as you can see/hear in the video, spools hella fast. I wouldn't want/need it to spool any quicker than it does. Plus, a rebuild kit for it is fairly cheap so lifespan isn't an issue either. With proper oil supply the turbo should last fairly long anyway before needing rebuilt.

i cant remember but arent the journal bearing turbos...such as yours....just oil cooled?...not watered cooled?....for just oil cooling...i believe you have to make a tap in the oil pain below oil level for the feed and above oil level for the return...dont you?

PpAzZ1101 07-26-2007 10:10 AM

It's oil lubricated and oil cooled. The feed has to come from a pressurized source. The return has to go somewhere above oil level in the pan because it drains by gravity.

celicacobalt 07-26-2007 10:34 AM

well, 14.1 @ 101 is the best i could pull off last night, but i will head back up there later on when the weather is more stable and better for racing, im sure i can see 13's. ill post the time slips and videos up later.

rlinden86 07-26-2007 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by PpAzZ1101 (Post 1257871)
It's oil lubricated and oil cooled. The feed has to come from a pressurized source. The return has to go somewhere above oil level in the pan because it drains by gravity.

theres a little plate on the back of the engine on the passenger side i dont remember what its called the thats where you tap it into. take it off and drill it out for a high pressure fitting.

ryan.