Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.4L LE5 Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-4l-le5-performance-tech-46/)
-   -   How Much Of A Risk In HPT..?? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-4l-le5-performance-tech-46/how-much-risk-hpt-170453/)

averagewhiteboy 05-10-2009 02:51 AM

How Much Of A Risk In HPT..??

Hey guys,

So, my original plan was to do a "light tune" to the car initially and go from there. By light tune, I mean header/dp, cat-back, intake and HPT. The basics. Then, if I decide to really go at it, I'll do the supercharger and stuff. But while it's still my only car, I need to to be reliable. My plan got questioned yesterday when my BCM suddenly shit out on me. As posted in another thread, I lost my other 3 gears, threw every code in the book, and now it won't even start. I'm getting it towed to the shop tomorrow to have them fix it on Monday. Unfortunately I'm no longer under warranty. Best case scenario I'll be out of there for a few hundred bucks. Worst case scenario I'll get raped. But luckily we've known our dealer for over 40 years, so they won't fuck me unless necessary. But hey, what are you gonna do? I have the CAI and the cat-back already on, and I'm getting my header in a week or so. But now I'm worried about getting a tune done. I don't know how much of a risk is involved in doing it, but I can't risk the car shitting out again. I don't have that kind of money. lol. I didn't want to tune anything crazy, just my shift points, rev limiter, governor, etc. The basic tune that is done to most averagely modded auto Cobalts. Would I be good in doing this? I know there's been alot of people with tunes, but I just really don't want to get screwed, especially considering my BCM shit out for no apparent reason. Good thing I was close to home. Also, I've heard of both HPT and Trifecta. It's seems like most of the local guys can do Trifecta. Will I see a benefit / difference between the two?

If anyone could shed some light on this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!!

averagewhiteboy 05-10-2009 01:14 PM

Anyone..??

advise 05-10-2009 01:19 PM

theres always the risk when your tuning a car,it matters how aggressive of a tune ur willing to do.You gotta pay to play,but if the tuning is done right you shouldnt have problems,trifecta has a pretty good reputation

_UnLiMiTeD_ 05-10-2009 02:24 PM

trifecta has done many 2.4's, always great results, if you want a less risky tune, i would get it from trifecta since its the same man doing all the tunes, so you can trust the tuner

Trae 05-10-2009 03:24 PM

Great post, subbing for an answer,
You're doing exactly what I plan on doing here shortly.

But if you went with trifecta, and decided to go supercharged, wouldn't you have to drop another $300? But with HPT, you'd still have everything you needed to re-tune, wouldn't you?

steddy2112 05-10-2009 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Trae (Post 3850548)
Great post, subbing for an answer,
You're doing exactly what I plan on doing here shortly.

But if you went with trifecta, and decided to go supercharged, wouldn't you have to drop another $300? But with HPT, you'd still have everything you needed to re-tune, wouldn't you?

This is true

And for the OP:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...DoItFaggot.jpg

Trust me you won't regret it.

iLLmaTic3s 05-10-2009 11:14 PM

HPTuners FTW!

Bro if u need help..PM ME..i got u.

averagewhiteboy 05-10-2009 11:46 PM

Yeah, Ill, good look. I still have your tune and I appreciate it. But a local guy does Trifecta, and if he's willing to take his time and work out good results, that seems to be the best way to go. I pm'd him, so I'll keep you guys updated!!

Zdeuce4 05-10-2009 11:47 PM

NO NO NO.. if u have trifecta vince charges a small fee for retunes... its not full price again.

mike25 05-11-2009 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Zdeuce4 (Post 3852489)
NO NO NO.. if u have trifecta vince charges a small fee for retunes... its not full price again.

if he waits a good while...say months down the road..then yes he does have to pay the full 300. i talked to vince and thats what he told me unless hes changed that, which i doubt

Zdeuce4 05-11-2009 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by mike25 (Post 3853171)
if he waits a good while...say months down the road..then yes he does have to pay the full 300. i talked to vince and thats what he told me unless hes changed that, which i doubt

vince's tunes dont even cost 300!! mine was 200. i could show an email showing the prices he quoted me of wut re-tunes cost. Im gonna be a trifecta dealer soon, it wouldnt make sense if u had to pay that full price again.

averagewhiteboy 05-11-2009 10:17 AM

Unless I go boost, my car is staying as-is performance-wise after that.. haha

Zdeuce4 05-11-2009 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy (Post 3853289)
Unless I go boost, my car is staying as-is performance-wise after that.. haha

ive got full bolt ons and trifecta tuning. im going with zzp's turbo kit as soon as i get the last half of the cash. ill be getting a trifecta tune to adjust some stuff after that point.

mmcgee123 05-11-2009 03:36 PM

I have trifecta tune also love it no more cels I have full boltons and a 100shot car runs amazing no problems ive had it for 7 months I think

averagewhiteboy 05-11-2009 04:08 PM

Sick. Talked to the guy and we're gonna do it after I get my header/dp. Pumped now!