2010+ Future Cruze Discussions Discussions and information related to the upcoming 2010 Chevy Cruze

2014 Chevy Cruze SS Coupe... really??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Cust Svc
Good morning!

Product suggestions are always welcome! I would be happy to create the file that would be accessible to our design teams if you wanted to get in touch with me via DM and include:

Your name and contact information
Your suggestion on the make and model year of vehicle

I can understand if you're hesitant to share your name and contact information; I just would need it to set up the product suggestion file.

All the best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
I'll be PM'ing you shortly
Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 PM

working on a photoshop right now.. I'll make sure to post it up to see what you guys think of my rendition of the front end.. not a fan of the chrome surrounds on the grilles.. chrome should be kept for the LTZ model.. not the SS.. super sports (or most sport models) are always known to have painted exterior parts, not chrome imo

heres the original OP post

n heres my rendition of what I believe looks much better. What did I do?
Matched the upper grille to something similar to the lower grille like the current cobalt ss/tc's
color match the chrome ring around the grille
color match the door handle to the car
throw some nice simple gunmetal 5 spoke rims on it with the possibility of a brembo upgrade. the current rims in the concept look too similar to already produced HHR SS rims imo

Last edited by padlock; 10-04-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by padlock
working on a photoshop right now.. I'll make sure to post it up to see what you guys think of my rendition of the front end.. not a fan of the chrome surrounds on the grilles.. chrome should be kept for the LTZ model.. not the SS.. super sports (or most sport models) are always known to have painted exterior parts, not chrome imo

heres the original OP post

n heres my rendition of what I believe looks much better. What did I do?
Matched the upper grille to something similar to the lower grille like the current cobalt ss/tc's
color match the chrome ring around the grille
color match the door handle to the car
throw some nice simple gunmetal 5 spoke rims on it with the possibility of a brembo upgrade. the current rims in the concept look too similar to already produced HHR SS rims imo
That looks much better. The chrome grille just doesn't look right on a SS. Same with the chrome handles. They would probably work well with like the LTZ model, but not the SS.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
Agreed. I wasn't digging the HHR wheels, I like those ones better. Chrome has got to go.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
I dont like the new wheels you put on it I like those HHR wheels. but you know what a better idea would be since we are paying basically $1000 a wheel?

make the car come with Enkei's or BBS or something right off the bat.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by CudaJoe
I dont like the new wheels you put on it I like those HHR wheels. but you know what a better idea would be since we are paying basically $1000 a wheel?

make the car come with Enkei's or BBS or something right off the bat.
Haha that's not a bad thought. Somebody make a chop with some PF01's on there.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:09 AM

^i will in time

i just stole these rims off another cruze concept so i didnt search long and hard for these, I thought they looked good tho..

Enkei's would be pretty sweet
Old 10-05-2012, 11:48 AM

The ass end looks kind of off to me, but otherwise a like it! If it comes with a good interior, LSD, some Recaro seats and around ~300HP I definitely could see myself buying a used one in a few years. I highly doubt this would ever be AWD, but that'd be insane.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Drunkship
The ass end looks kind of off to me, but otherwise a like it! If it comes with a good interior, LSD, some Recaro seats and around ~300HP I definitely could see myself buying a used one in a few years. I highly doubt this would ever be AWD, but that'd be insane.
Actually, it sounds crazy, but I hope that it wouldn't be AWD. Too expensive, too much weight, too much drivetrain loss.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by AaronJ
Actually, it sounds crazy, but I hope that it wouldn't be AWD. Too expensive, too much weight, too much drivetrain loss.
not only that... but just think of how much **** would break once people start modding for power knowing how GM would design the AWD system...............
Old 10-07-2012, 02:33 PM

I hate GM. The cruze is NOT an acceptable replacement for the cobalt. If they really wanted to up the cobalt legacy, they'd get something with an LE5, rwd, light like my sport, maybe a REAL supercharger... ya know... and some fresh new styling like the cobalt had for its day. The cruze looks like a kia forte. GM could do alot better... The scion Fr-s/subaru Brz is a BLAST to drive and fun to look at. Maybe GM should take a few pointers? I'll always buy domestic over import BUT with as much fun as that brz was, I may just jump over to the dark import side.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CobaltFan06
I hate GM. The cruze is NOT an acceptable replacement for the cobalt. If they really wanted to up the cobalt legacy, they'd get something with an LE5, rwd, light like my sport, maybe a REAL supercharger... ya know... and some fresh new styling like the cobalt had for its day. The cruze looks like a kia forte. GM could do alot better... The scion Fr-s/subaru Brz is a BLAST to drive and fun to look at. Maybe GM should take a few pointers? I'll always buy domestic over import BUT with as much fun as that brz was, I may just jump over to the dark import side.
You are mad because an econo car doesn't compete with a rwd sporty car?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:58 AM

BRZ/FR-S being called ''sporty''? I think they are way overhyped and even the mediocre 200hp claim is a wee bit inflated.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by SlowShifter
BRZ/FR-S being called ''sporty''? I think they are way overhyped and even the mediocre 200hp claim is a wee bit inflated.
Its made to handle good not drag race. Like a miata with a roof. Regardless you would have to be a retard to think it competes with a cruze.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:58 PM

I think its people who live where its warm all the time that are the RWD nut swingers.

I see very very very few RWD cars in Canada. Unless its someones shined up summer car. For DD FWD is standard kit up here. That or big AWD vehicles.

For example, yet to see a BRZ on the street yet in 35,000 KM I put on the balt this year.

Why? We have endless highways here, its **** slow. We have winter here, RWD sucks for that.

A peppy cruze would definitely sell well im sure
Old 10-08-2012, 07:04 PM

The Cruze SS will end up going into production...as soon as the SRT-4 Dart shows its face at a auto show so will the Cruze SS. The Dart SRT-4 Has already been confirmed by chrysler and are shooting for 2014-2015 time frame...rumors say it could be AWD...i doubt GM will let chrysler rule the market again like they did with the neon srt4. If Chrysler putes some of the tech fiat put in the abarth 500 with regardes to minmizing torque steer...that car would be pretty interesting...plus with the ford ST out and chrysler confirming the SRT-4...its a matter of time for the cruze SS. Another random fact...dodge journey SRT-6 is a go too...just an fyi...
Old 10-12-2012, 07:39 PM

GM to sell 13 new, redesigned Chevy vehicles in 2013, including Silverado, Impala | General Motors news | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

They said there are two surprises about a quarter of the way through. I am hoping one is a TC slaying Cruze
Old 10-14-2012, 05:41 AM

AWD and I'll take it, otherwise I just wanna cannibalize a 6-speed and some rear brembos for my balt
Old 10-14-2012, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by joepackersrock
AWD and I'll take it, otherwise I just wanna cannibalize a 6-speed and some rear brembos for my balt
Why six speed? I like the gearing on the 5 speed although i don't care for the trans itself. For dd duty and tearing ass on very twisty, lonely roads with plenty of elevation changes it's great. I can just rocka gear and have a fairly wide berth for speeds in a given gear. I personally can't see a reason for a six speed unless they build an engine that spins up into the mid 7k range. With a stock style powerband, the t speed is nice... Then again, i am interested in a dd and the tc is my ideal to date. Love that over 30mpgees in 72k miles.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:12 AM

There are a bunch of things I don't like about the rendering that was posted by Road and Track. It took away some of the things that made the Cruze look nice. If they made it look like the Cruze RS but just a little beefier that would be great.

The rear end... All kinds of wrong. That lower part looks like too much plastic. Also, the one beef I had with the Cobalt was that the rear end seemed so far off the ground (Great big ol' ass!) and it seemed like a poor design choice. They fixed that with the Cruze. The whole car seemed more level closer to the ground by proxy. Gave the look of being lowered without doing so. Instead of the big gaps in the wheel wells on our cars. I'll fix this when I get some coilovers, but until then I'm gonna bitch about it. haha.

If they make the Cruze SS. They better have at least what the SS/TC had for power. Otherwise it seems like an unnecessary step backwards.

Also, the electric power steering works fine. I track the car pretty regularly and I'm more than happy with the steering feel on and off the street.

Originally Posted by ecotecturbo
This should be a bad ass car just like the lnf ss but im going to get the 130r just because its rwd that is if they put the 2.0t in it.
Are they still talking about making that? I liked the look of that way better. Definitely want a RWD or AWD for my next car. I might still keep my TC when I buy one, but I want to have fun with a RWD. heh.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by cranemaster
I think its people who live where its warm all the time that are the RWD nut swingers.

I see very very very few RWD cars in Canada. Unless its someones shined up summer car. For DD FWD is standard kit up here. That or big AWD vehicles.

For example, yet to see a BRZ on the street yet in 35,000 KM I put on the balt this year.

Why? We have endless highways here, its **** slow. We have winter here, RWD sucks for that.

A peppy cruze would definitely sell well im sure
That is MOSTLY true. However my friend just bought an FRS and he plans on driving it in the winter. My dad has a 2011 BMW 335is and it's RWD too. I drove it last winter with a set of Blizzaks on it and it had loads of grip.

I personally think the whole "RWDs are bad in winter" thing is kinda blown out of proportion. However, I'll agree that some aren't really made for it and even with good winter tires, probably won't do well. (ie: Corvette, etc...) Not to mention with something that low you would be plowing the roads all the time. Even my Cobalt ends up plowing a bit when we get a particularly big dump.

People are scared of RWD's. My dad was talking about living in Nelson, BC when he was a kid. ALL the cars were RWD at that time. And if you've ever been to Nelson, you would know it's got some of the steepest roads in the country. The bottom line is everyone was fine with their big ol' RWDs.

I also used to drive Cab. And I drove a big ol' Crown Vic with a V8 in the front and RWD, and... Bald tires. It was sketchy driving in the winter (I blame the bald A/S tires) But I managed fine.

The truth is if you set up your car properly, almost anything can drive in the winter. FWD, RWD, MR, RR, etc... And I'm not one to get afraid of a little snow :P
Old 10-16-2012, 08:09 AM

Modern rwd vehicles are far superior to rwd from 20+ years ago. Traction control, stability control, better tires, etc made it much easier to keep it going in the right direction.

Of course we all know that everything was rwd until the 70s pretty much and people still got around all winter.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:40 PM

All im saying is they are dangerous to drive, im comparrision to FWD and AWD cars.

I know several people who have hit the ditch driving a RWD on the highway during winting. Which isnt suprising seeing as ive had a few close calls in my cobalt, for the average drivier - when your starting to drift off the highway in RWD vehicle @ 60MPH on ice/snow ... can be a touchy situation. FWD, you can just accelerate out of it or w/e.. easy to handle.

point in case, they are not as good for winter.... last winter I drove a RWD Suburban and this year im driving a 1995 Ford ranger RWD for winter. My cobalt gets MOSTLY garaged for winter, and no doubt is way better in the snow and ice than those two trucks :| The fancy ESC/ABS in the cobalt probably is a huge part of it though =)
Old 10-16-2012, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by cranemaster
All im saying is they are dangerous to drive, im comparrision to FWD and AWD cars.

I know several people who have hit the ditch driving a RWD on the highway during winting. Which isnt suprising seeing as ive had a few close calls in my cobalt, for the average drivier - when your starting to drift off the highway in RWD vehicle @ 60MPH on ice/snow ... can be a touchy situation. FWD, you can just accelerate out of it or w/e.. easy to handle.

point in case, they are not as good for winter.... last winter I drove a RWD Suburban and this year im driving a 1995 Ford ranger RWD for winter. My cobalt gets MOSTLY garaged for winter, and no doubt is way better in the snow and ice than those two trucks :| The fancy ESC/ABS in the cobalt probably is a huge part of it though =)
Weight distribution plays a big part in it. Trucks have a front weight bias and lose traction in the back pretty easily unless they are weighed down. Hence why people usually put sandbags in the back.

But you nailed it in one regard. AVERAGE DRIVERS. People aren't trained on what to do in a skid with a RWD. You have to want to learn it yourself or just learn through experience. FWD is more forgiving I suppose. But I see a lot of FWD's and AWD's in the ditch in the winter too. If anything AWD are worse, because they give inexperienced drivers a false sense of security. AWD helps them to accelerate better in the winter, but it sure as hell doesn't help you stop. Tires and suspension setup is all that really helps that.

Also if you are already sliding due to understeer, if you've ever driven a FWD in the winter, you will know that giving it gas doesn't help, it just makes you spin and slip more. Not saying you can do a whole lot more in a RWD, but giving it gas in a RWD can help the car rotate if you are understeering in the winter. I guess the opposite can be said for FWD oversteering. The trick tho, is you have to be able to have traction with your drive tires. if you don't, you lose regardless.

I've been on the highway in a RWD and one time i was going up a hill with cruise control (bad decision, I know now... haha) and it kicked down a gear going up the hill. This caused the back tires to slip and started going a bit sideways (this was the same Cab i was talking about before with the bald tires). It was a little scary, but at probably 70 mph i was fishtailing and managed to control it by letting off the throttle all together and steering out of it. If I were in a FWD it would have spun, there probably would have been less drama, but instead of the back end going out and the front end correcting, the front end would have went sideways and you would have to wait till you got traction to redirect yourself. In that time you could already be off the road.

6 of one, half dozen of the other. They both have their ups and downs. But I think as long as you know how to drive your car and you are aware of what it can do in severe weather, then you can drive whatever you want.

The Bottom line is this: Most people on this forum (I like to think, anyway) enjoy their cars. Are enthusiastic about them. We are NOT average drivers. Even if you aren't skilled, if you have a willingness to drive your car and learn about it, then you fall in the category of people who can drive whatever they want. You just need practice and a little know-how. So naturally, if there are people on this forum that really want an RWD, then all the power to them! Regardless of what climate they live in.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:29 PM

I wouldn't consider rwd more dangerous than fwd either. Its different. It reacts differently and requires different techniques. The dangerous part could simply be inexperience in that situation. Most cars are fwd and many people learned on them.

I grew up in Michigan so of course it snows a lot near the lakes. My dad told me to go find an empty parking lot and just go drive all over in it. Its fun just doing doughnuts and driving around.d light posts and stuff but you also learn how your vehicle reacts in different situations.

Quick Reply: 2014 Chevy Cruze SS Coupe... really??