2010+ Future Cruze Discussions Discussions and information related to the upcoming 2010 Chevy Cruze

Official Cruze Announcement: Scheduled for 8.21.08

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Official Cruze Announcement: Scheduled for 8.21.08

Looks like today is going to be a good news day for the Cruze. They have a conference scheduled about the Cruze and the future of Lordstown today, as well as plans to release the first official photos of the car. Hopefully these announcements will clear up GM's plan with the Cobalt and the Cruze.

IL Insider: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze To Be Built at GM's Lordstown Facility

Date posted: 08-15-2008

LORDSTOWN, Ohio — General Motors will detail plans to built its 2011 Chevrolet Cruze at its Lordstown, Ohio, facility next Thursday. The announcement will include the release of the first official photos of the Cruze, which will be unveiled at the upcoming 2008 Paris Auto Show, the automaker said on Friday.

While GM did not specify in its Friday announcement that the Cruze will be built at Lordstown, industry sources confirmed for Inside Line that the small car will be built there for global consumption. The Cruze will be the "global nameplate" for the new small car, which will go on sale in Europe in spring 2009, sources said.

GM has been slowly ramping up the buzz about the Cruze. On August 12, Beth Lowery, GM's vice president of environment, energy and safety policy, told the Management Briefing Seminars in Traverse City, Michigan, that the Cruze will get better gas mileage than the vehicle it replaces — the current Chevrolet Cobalt. "The Chevy Cruze will get an additional nine miles per gallon in fuel economy when it debuts in 2010 [versus the Cobalt]," Lowery said.

The EPA says the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt with the 2.2-liter four-cylinder engine linked to an automatic four-speed transmission returns 24 miles per gallon in city driving and 33 mpg on the highway. The 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE with the 2.2-liter four-cylinder and five-speed manual transmission returns 25 mpg in city driving and 37 mpg on the highway. Thus, the most fuel-efficient version of the new Cruze is likely to return highway mileage somewhere around the mid-40-mpg range.

The Cruze will be the first vehicle to use GM's revamped Delta 2 platform, an architecture that will be used on all GM small cars around the globe, including replacements for the Chevrolet HHR and the Opel Zafira and its siblings.

In Paris, GM will unveil a five-passenger sedan that is roughly the same size as the current Cobalt sedan.

What this means to you: The Chevrolet Cruze is about to take a major step toward reality. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent

Source: Edmunds Inside Line
Stay tuned...
Old 08-21-2008, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gturismo1
The EPA says the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt with the 2.2-liter four-cylinder engine linked to an automatic four-speed transmission returns 24 miles per gallon in city driving and 33 mpg on the highway. The 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE with the 2.2-liter four-cylinder and five-speed manual transmission returns 25 mpg in city driving and 37 mpg on the highway. Thus, the most fuel-efficient version of the new Cruze is likely to return highway mileage somewhere around the mid-40-mpg range.
I think it's odd how they compare the 4 speed automatic Cobalts mpg to the 5 speed manual mpg's of the Cruze. Maybe the XFE only comes with the automatic trans?
Maybe it's just a reference point huh?
You have to think though. With 40 miles per gallon, you could cruze for days!!
Good find, I'll keep my eye out for the anouncement and pics.

I'm going on vacation soon . I'll thinking about booking a cruze to the Bahama's!

Alright,
I know, I know....
Old 08-21-2008, 09:13 AM

http://jalopnik.com/5039849/chevy-cr...e-paris-unveil

All-new Chevrolet Cruze features dramatic design

Detroit - The first photographs of Chevrolet's all-new Cruze sedan - making its world premiere at the Paris Motor Show in October - reveal a dynamic four-door coupe that proves exciting design and value are not mutually exclusive.

On sale beginning in Europe from March next year, Cruze features a dramatic re-interpretation of the traditional sedan featuring Chevrolet's new global design language that is becoming a signature on all new products carrying the gold bowtie.

Cruze's arching roof-line, extending from the steeply raked windshield to its sloping rear pillars and short rear deck, brings coupe-like proportions to a compact sedan.

Wider and longer than most of its competitors, Cruze has a purposeful stance with its wheels located at the outer edges of the tautly drawn bodywork. Noticeably tight body panel fits and a restrained use of exterior trim add to a high quality, 'hewn from solid' appearance.

Cruze's dramatic profile is matched by bold front styling, with large headlamp housings that wrap around the front corners and sweep up, arrow-like, into the fenders and sculpted hood. Other distinct design themes include a concave shoulder line, the two-tier grille and a "wheels-out/body-in" stance. Inside, Cruze features a 'twin cockpit' design motif, first introduced in the iconic Corvette sports car.

"Our goal in designing Cruze was to be bold, not evolutionary," says chief designer Taewan Kim. "We wanted to take a big step forward, making a strong design statement for Chevrolet products around the world."

Visitors to the Paris show will see how Chevrolet's progressive design is also reflected in the quality of Cruze's interior. The use of grained surfaces, soft-touch materials and low gloss trim panels ensures a quality ambience that echoes the clean, harmonious design of the exterior.

At launch in Europe, Cruze will be available with 16-valve, 1.6-liter (112 hp/82 kW) and 1.8-liter (140 hp/103 kW) gasoline engines featuring variable valve timing (VVT) on both inlet and exhaust sides, giving more power as well as better fuel economy and lower emissions. A new 2.0-liter turbo diesel, developing 150 hp/ 110 kW and 320 Nm of torque adds power with even greater frugality. Five-speed manual gearboxes and an all-new automatic transmission, Chevrolet's first six-speed application in the compact segment, complete the powertrain menu.

With sales in Europe up by 23 percent for the first six months of 2008, Chevrolet is GM Europe's fastest-growing mainstream brand. The arrival of Cruze spearheads an exciting new product roll-out program that is expected to propel the brand to even greater success.

"We are proud that Europe is leading the introduction for this global product," said Wayne Brannon, Executive Director, Chevrolet Europe. "Chevrolet has always stood for expressive value and Cruze delivers on that promise like never before. It further redefines Chevrolet with its design, quality, materials and great style inside and out. The fit and finish for gaps and interfaces sets a new standard for this segment in Europe and around the world."

Cruze is the result of a development process harnessing GM's global expertise and is the first of a new family of compact products that will deliver world class quality. It will be backed by expected highest scores in all major crash safety ratings.

The Chevrolet Cruze will be available in Europe from March 2009, followed by other global markets with regional-specific engine choices.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:58 AM

i'm digging the front, looks sexy, they look to be keepin the malibu scheme goin which looks good.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:23 AM

the interior is obviously going to blow the doors off our cars, but I still want to see photos of it as well as the coupe. the car looks good, an obvious improvement over the current sedan...but will it be 'better' than the 09 rolla and the next gen Civic?

that is the REAL question....and I hope this product cycle coming the answer is a decided YES!

In 04/05, the answer was closer...but no.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:58 AM

i like it, but

what will the coupe look like????????????
Old 08-21-2008, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At launch in Europe, Cruze will be available with 16-valve, 1.6-liter (112 hp/82 kW) and 1.8-liter (140 hp/103 kW) gasoline engines featuring variable valve timing (VVT) on both inlet and exhaust sides, giving more power as well as better fuel economy and lower emissions. A new 2.0-liter turbo diesel, developing 150 hp/ 110 kW and 320 Nm of torque adds power with even greater frugality. Five-speed manual gearboxes and an all-new automatic transmission, Chevrolet's first six-speed application in the compact segment, complete the powertrain menu.

I sure as hell hope that the US will get some better options performance wise. 150hp out of the top-tier model? That's pretty pathetic.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:55 PM

I like the Malibu, if the malibu wasn't so much more for the model I wanted, I would have gotten it instead of the cobalt.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:33 PM

I like that. will they have a SS version?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

looks like the Malibu and the 09 Aveo had a baby

good find non-the-less

Last edited by REIGN SS; 08-21-2008 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-21-2008, 02:41 PM

WTF??? Now they put a six speed in????
Old 08-21-2008, 03:51 PM

Looks like I may be alone here, but uh... I'm not really liking it.
I'm sure the interior will be nice, but as far as outside appearance - I just don't think it's that awesome... And yeah, when it comes to the US market, that HP better be higher... Jeeze...
Old 08-21-2008, 04:12 PM

looks ok in red.. still looks weird to me .. the headlights look weird and tail lights dont fit and it looks like it should be a bigger car
Old 08-21-2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by kilocobalt
Looks like I may be alone here, but uh... I'm not really liking it.
I'm sure the interior will be nice, but as far as outside appearance - I just don't think it's that awesome... And yeah, when it comes to the US market, that HP better be higher... Jeeze...
/ x2
Old 08-21-2008, 06:13 PM

There will be higher performance versions later, and I like it alot.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:23 PM

The rear decklid area seems to have a very BMW 6-series vibe to it, the way the trunk seems to break away from the side bodylines of the car. The only difference is the BMW looks akward, this actually looks good. Who'd of thought GM could make a Bangle-inspired design cue and make it look right
Old 08-21-2008, 06:33 PM

Old 08-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Banned

So who would buy this? I kind of like it.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:19 AM

I might just wait a little bit longer to buy that SS/TC if they can produce a cruze with the same level of awesomeness by 2010. I highly doubt it though, that platform is brand-spankin' new and it usually takes GMPD quite a while to fine tune things on a level required to match what the 08-09 Cobalt SS can do.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Luminaeus
I might just wait a little bit longer to buy that SS/TC if they can produce a cruze with the same level of awesomeness by 2010. I highly doubt it though, that platform is brand-spankin' new and it usually takes GMPD quite a while to fine tune things on a level required to match what the 08-09 Cobalt SS can do.
The fact that they have video of this thing lapping the Nurburgring makes me sleep sound knowing their up to something performance wise.

I can only imagine they've taken what they've learned from Delta-I and applied it to Delta-II, making this car even more competent than the current Cobalt SS. Plus, if they've done right by the chassis, they might be able to inject even more horsepower into it, without it being a torque-steering monster. Well, we can all hope.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:56 AM

The fact that they have video of this thing lapping the Nurburgring makes me sleep sound knowing their up to something performance wise.

I can only imagine they've taken what they've learned from Delta-I and applied it to Delta-II, making this car even more competent than the current Cobalt SS. Plus, if they've done right by the chassis, they might be able to inject even more horsepower into it, without it being a torque-steering monster. Well, we can all hope.
Well put. I agree. Let's only hope they do because I would love to see a performance version of the Cruze.
SS Cruze sounds like Gilligans boat or something, so I think Cruze SS would be appropriate in a two and four door version. I'll take another silver one thank you! Maybe if they do make a coupe, the rear may be different. Doesn't matter. I like the rear the way it is. looks just like the Traverse.

I hope they do make a performance version with the turbo. 260 hp or more would be nice.

Last edited by Remedy One; 08-22-2008 at 05:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:56 AM

I'm just glad GM finally has a design language, I mean, with the Malibu, Traverse, and now the Cruze, they have a face that will be instantly recognizable as Chevrolet. Now, they just need to get moving on the rest of the line-up.

Got bored...

Has potential

Last edited by Gturismo1; 08-22-2008 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-22-2008, 09:21 AM

Got bored...

(it) Has potential
See!! There you go! I was just waiting for someone to do that! It has big potential. The front end already looks mean. Really no need for eyelids. Nice work man. Now if we can only get the Cruze in video games, like Midnight Club LA. Then we can really throw down on some mods.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

I'm just glad GM finally has a design language, I mean, with the Malibu, Traverse, and now the Cruze, they have a face that will be instantly recognizable as Chevrolet. Now, they just need to get moving on the rest of the line-up.

Got bored...

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/7246/cruzeoz7.jpg

Has potential
very nice!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Site Founder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by REIGN SS
looks like the Malibu and the 09 Aveo had a baby

good find non-the-less
lol agreed

Quick Reply: Official Cruze Announcement: Scheduled for 8.21.08