2010+ Future Cruze Discussions Discussions and information related to the upcoming 2010 Chevy Cruze

Will the Cobalt's remaining days hinder its aftermarkt support?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the Cobalt's remaining days hinder its aftermarkt support?

Just something that I've been considering as I try and decide if I'm going to get the SS/TC after my SS/SC's lease ends next summer. I think it's something that should really be looked into and considered. Well as we all know the Cobalt's replacement, the Cruze, is slated for production in summer of 2010. Which leaves the Cobalt just under 2yrs of life before from what we know it'll most likely cease production when the Cruze launches to replace it.

Seeing that the 2008+ Cobalt SS/TC has been available to the public for around 6 months now we really haven't seen a lot out for it yet. Yes I realize that it takes months, even years for the supporting aftermarket companies to do R&D, and come out with these products. I'm also aware that within the next few months more performance parts will be available, by companies like Hahn, TTR, Synapse, etc. Which by the way have been very supportive to enthusiasts like ourselves in offering quality parts that we desire for our cars, and I'd like to say thank you to them on behalf of all of us.

However, the 08 Cobalt SS/TC's are already produced and out there, and now the 09 SS/TC's are being produced and then by June of 09 hopefully they'll be making the 2010 Cobalts up until spring or summer of 2010 when I'm sure the Cruze will start to be launched.. Which gives the Cobalt SS Turbocharged by my predictions probably a 3 year run.

It makes me wonder just how much we'll be seeing come out for the LNF equipped Cobalts. just F.Y.I let's not forget the LNF has been available since 2007 on the Solstice GXP, and Sky Red lines, and if any of you are on those forums like I occasionally am you can see that despite the LNF being out for the last two years on those cars, there's only a limited quantity of modifications available to them. They now just within the last year came out with a couple turbo swap kits, by some of their supporting vendors...

And who knows if and when the GMPP stage kits will be released, if they ever are to come out is still in question...

The Cobalt SS Turbocharged, HHR Turbocharged, Solstice GXP, and Sky Redline have certainly been great performance cars to offer excitement, performance and affordability to us, and while the LNF that is in them is an amazing engine, with a lot of potential, it certainly won't be going away any time soon especially with the rise in gas prices, but the cars like the Cobalt, Solstice/Sky soon will be ceasing production. (within the next few years most likely)

So it just makes me wonder if we'll really see a lot performance parts by many aftermarket companies come out for these cars knowing they won't be around too much longer compared to what's been available for the LSJ in the 3 years it was out. Hopefully there is...

Guess I'm the only one that is concerned...

Last edited by SS4EVER; 09-09-2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-09-2008, 04:56 PM

major reason why i WONT get a ss/tc...with gm announcing the end of it...before it came out screwed the community on it being either impossible to find or WAAAAAAAAAY to pricey
Old 09-09-2008, 05:56 PM

Yeah it has me concerned as well. I'm just going to wait until next summer and see how much is out for it by the time I need to reach a decision.

Granted the only things I'm really looking into would be a down-pipe, cat-back, CAI, HP Tuners, bigger intercooler, and eventually later down the road a turbo swap if one ever comes out for it.

Granted no-one knows this for a fact, however it's safe to assume that GM won't be coming out with stage kits for the SS/TC knowing well that the Cobalt is being killed in a couple years anyways, despite other issues I'm sure.

I just think this is really something that people aren't considering. Granted it shouldn't be a reason what-so-ever because if you want the car even like I do, you're going to get it regardless and there's nothing wrong with that. I just don't like the fact that I'm going to buy a car that I know is going to cease production 1yr or 2 after I buy it...
Old 09-10-2008, 02:38 AM

i think it's gay how gm goes ***** out with this car, (it came out really well hell it even got onto car and drivers best handling cars of 08), and their giving it the axe in a couple of years. I was really looking forward to buying a ss/tc, but with them killing the cobalts, im having second thoughts.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont think the cobalt will be going anywhere because it is just now showing great profits and I think they will keep it around for awhile due to its increasing popularity. http://www.leftlanenews.com/cobalt-n...er-for-gm.html
Old 09-10-2008, 04:45 AM

quoted from www.leftlanenews.com(i hope this is enough to not get me in trouble)
http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-cruze.html

"Although there is widespread speculation that the Cruze will eventually replace the Cobalt, it still remains possible that both cars could coexsist within GM's lineup. In fact, Chevrolet's North American head, Ed, Peper, says the Cruze is actually intended to creat a new segment that slots above the cobalt but below the Malibu."

quoted from www.leftlanenews.com(i hope this is enough to not get me in trouble)

So hopefully that means GM will keep the Cobalt and do AWD maybe??
Old 09-10-2008, 05:25 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
the way i see it is no one knows how long the cobalts going to be out and all this nonsense your reading on the net is never going to be confirmed officially by chevy until the last cobalt rolls off the line.

Anyone with half a brain in retail doesnt state when a product is being discontinued until its really discontinued.

So my advice to you if your that concerned is buy a ss/sc if you want aftermarket support... theres already plenty and you dont have to worry about it being axed since it already is. Or just gamble on the TC and be done with it
Old 09-10-2008, 03:14 PM

Be proud of your s/c ones cause we have a way bigger after market then the TC does and probably will have a way bigger one for a few years........
Old 09-10-2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by firebalt
i think it's gay how gm goes ***** out with this car, (it came out really well hell it even got onto car and drivers best handling cars of 08), and their giving it the axe in a couple of years. I was really looking forward to buying a ss/tc, but with them killing the cobalts, im having second thoughts.
Yeah, this is why I made the post. I mean let's face it the Cobalt is how old already? It came out in 2005, so that makes it 3 years old and by 2010 it'll have been out for 5 years. Which for a platform is old, and GM learned from past mistakes with the Cavalier that continuously selling an aging car is not a good thing.

Originally Posted by rocco11189
I dont think the cobalt will be going anywhere because it is just now showing great profits and I think they will keep it around for awhile due to its increasing popularity. http://www.leftlanenews.com/cobalt-n...er-for-gm.html
Yeah, I saw that link. They are saying that after 3 years the Cobalt is now making a profit for GM when small cars never really turned a profit for GM, until the shift in the market.

Originally Posted by Bluebaltsc

"Although there is widespread speculation that the Cruze will eventually replace the Cobalt, it still remains possible that both cars could coexsist within GM's lineup. In fact, Chevrolet's North American head, Ed, Peper, says the Cruze is actually intended to creat a new segment that slots above the cobalt but below the Malibu."

So hopefully that means GM will keep the Cobalt and do AWD maybe??
Remember back when there was rumor that the next Cobalt SS was to be AWD? That rumor was shot down immediately because AWD is very costly and it would cost GM alot of $ that they don't have to add a AWD drive train to a car that sells in extremely low #'s over all, being it's for a small niche market... Unless you want to pay 30 grand for a Cobalt SS, which I know no one would buy. However it would be bad-ass...

I think that maybe in the beginning the Cobalt and Cruze will co-exist maybe for the first year or two the Cruze launches. But let's say a consumer goes to a Chevy dealer sees the Cruze and the Cobalt sitting next to each other in the dealer lot. Both are built off the same platform, (although the Cruze is built off a updated platform) both are FWD, around the same size and within maybe 1 or 2k the same price. There's no comparison between the interiors of each, and supposedly there's going to be an even more fuel efficient engine in the Cruze.... Which car do you think the consumer will want? It won't be the Cobalt. And GM knows it. There's no sense in having two cars for the same segment from one brand. They will merely cannibalize sales from eachother.

If anything the Cobalt will probably stay around for a year or two after the Cruze is launched, maybe the coupe will remain in production until the Cruze coupe launches.

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
the way i see it is no one knows how long the cobalts going to be out and all this nonsense your reading on the net is never going to be confirmed officially by chevy until the last cobalt rolls off the line.

Anyone with half a brain in retail doesnt state when a product is being discontinued until its really discontinued.

So my advice to you if your that concerned is buy a ss/sc if you want aftermarket support... theres already plenty and you dont have to worry about it being axed since it already is. Or just gamble on the TC and be done with it
None of us have an idea until GM officially releases news that the cobalt is facing the axe, but to me the axe is falling closer and closer...

I already have a SS/SC that I'm leasing for 8 more months... I'm not buying it or another one especially seeing that the LSJ has been discontinued... The LNF will be around for a while I imagine seeing it's a very new engine, but the cars that they currently are in soon may not be...

IDK, I want the SS/TC, but I'm just going to see what happens in the next 8 months, and maybe I'll buy something that I know isn't going to be discontinued shortly after I buy it like the Camaro...
Old 09-10-2008, 03:17 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Well, I look at it like this....the srt-4 noen was only out for three years....it got most of it's aftermarket support after it was out of production....now look at them.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Scythe_Snake
Well, I look at it like this....the srt-4 noen was only out for three years....it got most of it's aftermarket support after it was out of production....now look at them.
That is a good way to look at it. However the 2.4L Turbo 4cyl World Engine that was used in the Neon SRT-4 has also been carried over to the Caliber SRT-4 which just came out. So of course there's going to be continuous demand for aftermarket parts for both.

Granted just like there are still aftermarket parts wanted for cars that haven't been out for almost 10 years like the Supra, Celica, previous gen Civic, Integra, Prelude, DSM cars, etc...

The only thing that's different with the Cobalt is that news of the Cobalt replacement debuted just a couple months after the 2008 SS/TC's were rolling off the lines... So of course the Vendors will know that chances are this car isn't going to be around much longer but that won't matter as long as there is still demand for its parts. Hopefully that stays true.

Also like I said the LNF is around here to stay and more than likely will probably make its way into the Chevy Cruze SS... if one is to ever come out...
Old 09-10-2008, 03:42 PM

The LNF is going to be around for a while, I wouldnt worry about it
Old 09-10-2008, 03:51 PM

Ya since Saturn is bringing over the 1.8 Turbo from Europe for the Astra RL.......Which is going to destroy the 2.0 LNF since the 1.8 already has a huge aftermarket in europe. They will release it, it is just a matter of time, and rumors have spread online about it coming to the U.S. recently
Old 09-10-2008, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by 1bdstlLSJ
They will release it, it is just a matter of time, and RUMORS have spread online about it coming to the U.S. recently

Sad thing is all these things are nothing more then that, a RUMOR. You have no clue until it happens. Chances are the LNF WILL be in teh Cruze SS. Why would chevy not make an SS model when it has done so well thus far among the tuner crowd, both young and old. The cobalt may get phased out but there will still be an afteramrket demand for it. Maybe with it being discontinued the value of the SS/SC and SS/TC will be higher some day. They are sports cars in my eyes, whether it has 8 or 4 cylinders. But there will still be an aftermarket demand for them. I might wait off on getting the SS/TC Cobalt to see if they come out with an SS/TC Cruze. I'm liking the interior and even the exterior. It looks like a mini Malibu.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:45 PM

The SS/TC was a rumor last year.........look its here now, and the Opel 1.8T is already in Europe, so we shall see.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by 1bdstlLSJ
Ya since Saturn is bringing over the 1.8 Turbo from Europe for the Astra RL.......Which is going to destroy the 2.0 LNF since the 1.8 already has a huge aftermarket in europe. They will release it, it is just a matter of time, and rumors have spread online about it coming to the U.S. recently
I've heard of the 1.8T coming stateside. I would imagine it already has a huge aftermarket support as well.

Personally I'd rather have the 2.0T LNF over a 1.8T... I've seen what the Audi/VW guys do with their 1.8T and unless you upgrade to a bigger turbo you just don't get as much output as you would say in the 2.0L LNF, or the Dodge 2.4T, or Mazdaspeed 2.3T

But possibly another reason to hinder it.

Originally Posted by nutsandboldts05
Sad thing is all these things are nothing more then that, a RUMOR. You have no clue until it happens. Chances are the LNF WILL be in teh Cruze SS. Why would chevy not make an SS model when it has done so well thus far among the tuner crowd, both young and old. The cobalt may get phased out but there will still be an afteramrket demand for it. Maybe with it being discontinued the value of the SS/SC and SS/TC will be higher some day. They are sports cars in my eyes, whether it has 8 or 4 cylinders. But there will still be an aftermarket demand for them. I might wait off on getting the SS/TC Cobalt to see if they come out with an SS/TC Cruze. I'm liking the interior and even the exterior. It looks like a mini Malibu.
^ Yeah, that's what I'm basically trying to say. I know the LNF will probably get carried over to the Cruze SS Turbocharged, if one does come out. Of course engine mods will still be capable of being continued for the Cruze, but basically everything else, suspension, body everything else that is different between the Cruze and Cobalt will have to be re-created.

Again I'm not arguing against the Cobalt SS/TC at all. I in fact already planned out what I'll do to it if I do get one. It's just the thought of knowing a year or two after I buy one a new model is coming out, and that bothers me because I really think that the SS/TC is just going to get overlooked in terms of availability of performance parts.

I'm just going to wait until next summer hopefully there is a good range of parts out by then and if there isn't then I know I probably won't get the SS/TC...
Old 09-10-2008, 08:13 PM

Ewwww a Cruze SS/TC would suck, the Cobalt FTW!!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 PM

i gotta admit...i think im going honda for my next car just for this reason....
Old 09-11-2008, 07:30 AM

A turbo'd civic would be fun, but I don't like the way civics look.

Hey 1bdstl...... I think a SS/TC Cruze would be I great idea. They do look pretty nice whether you want to admit it or not.

Try not to be so stubborn about a new car guys. At least Chevy is finally trying to get it right.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by nutsandboldts05
A turbo'd civic would be fun, but I don't like the way civics look.

Hey 1bdstl...... I think a SS/TC Cruze would be I great idea. They do look pretty nice whether you want to admit it or not.

Try not to be so stubborn about a new car guys. At least Chevy is finally trying to get it right.
If the Cruze SS Turbocharged offers the same performance, or better than the Cobalt SS/TC, with a better car over-all, interior, exterior etc, I'd be all over it.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Banned

They need to replace the aveo with the cruze. That would be a better career move for GM.

I mean, you dont see aveoforums.com or stuff like that. or people making parts for them. If they do end up axing the balt. I am gonna have to find something else to buy.

If I stay with GM, I get a discount cause my grandpa worked there for 30 years. But right now, they dont make any good cars. and have no plans of making any cars worth having.

Next car will be between a subaru wrx or sti if I can find one. or see what the next civic is gonna look like.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SS4EVER
That is a good way to look at it. However the 2.4L Turbo 4cyl World Engine that was used in the Neon SRT-4 has also been carried over to the Caliber SRT-4 which just came out. So of course there's going to be continuous demand for aftermarket parts for both.

Granted just like there are still aftermarket parts wanted for cars that haven't been out for almost 10 years like the Supra, Celica, previous gen Civic, Integra, Prelude, DSM cars, etc...

The only thing that's different with the Cobalt is that news of the Cobalt replacement debuted just a couple months after the 2008 SS/TC's were rolling off the lines... So of course the Vendors will know that chances are this car isn't going to be around much longer but that won't matter as long as there is still demand for its parts. Hopefully that stays true.

Also like I said the LNF is around here to stay and more than likely will probably make its way into the Chevy Cruze SS... if one is to ever come out...
Yeah this is VERY true, but like you said, the LNF is in other vehicles and will most likely stick around. Secondly, in the hiatus of the SRT-4 neon before it went into the calibur, the aftermarket jumped into the SRT-4, so now there are an abundance of parts for the 2.4 WE. I mean, the car wasn't out too long and it got a otn of aftermarket when it was discontinued, so ya never know.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:29 PM

not true on the aveo forums... i had a rental car 2 weeks ago when my balt was at the dealer for a f'ed up throttle body, and i had one as a rental. i looked up online what the engine was, wasn't sure if it was 1.4 or 1.6 and i found a forum... people talking about turbo kits and such i was rollin!!

chevy would be making a big mistake to axe not just the balt tc, but the lnf motor as some have suggested. of course it will live on, why would they develop a direct injection 2.0 turbo, only to axe it? obviously GM spent money on it's development, and it's a workhorse with a lot aftermarket upgrade potential though not much is there, yet. we know they can produce it cheap, because the price of a new loaded 07 balt sc was the same as a new loaded 08 balt tc.

i see it this way... perhaps gm won't release much aftermarket stuff because of the cruze coming out, and instead will axe the car. in which case, it won't be ignored, the aftermarket community would be dissapointed and some1 will pull through with the products we want/need. if we can mod the hell out of a supercharged car, we WILL have products for the TC!! besides, if GM does release gmpp parts, that's a sure fire sign they are not only competent and understand what the consumer wants, but that the lnf is here to stay. either way, i'm optimistic.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SS4EVER
Yeah it has me concerned as well. I'm just going to wait until next summer and see how much is out for it by the time I need to reach a decision.

Granted the only things I'm really looking into would be a down-pipe, cat-back, CAI, HP Tuners, bigger intercooler, and eventually later down the road a turbo swap if one ever comes out for it.

Granted no-one knows this for a fact, however it's safe to assume that GM won't be coming out with stage kits for the SS/TC knowing well that the Cobalt is being killed in a couple years anyways, despite other issues I'm sure.

I just think this is really something that people aren't considering. Granted it shouldn't be a reason what-so-ever because if you want the car even like I do, you're going to get it regardless and there's nothing wrong with that. I just don't like the fact that I'm going to buy a car that I know is going to cease production 1yr or 2 after I buy it...
All those upgrades are already available for the SS T/C Ask Joe, he'll hook ya up!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Banned

After the stock market crash I am sure we all wished we hadn't bought an 09 ... Good Luck ... I wouldn't buy anything now ... Stuff is gunna get CHEAP dude.

Quick Reply: Will the Cobalt's remaining days hinder its aftermarkt support?