2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Stiegemeier Porting

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 05:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stiegemeier Porting

Okay, there are lots of intake manifold porting topics coming up lately. So here's another one. I just got off the phone with Bob Stiegemeier and was talking to him about porting my supercharger and brought up the idea of giving him my intake manifold for the 4-5 months that I will be deployed to Kyrgyzstan to experiment with. He said that he has "shyed" away from our manifolds due to the fact that it looks as if they would require lots of work to be ported.

Well, he said he'd be all for having mine to play with for my deployment time and that if he could gain respectable results, that he would start to market that for our cars. Then I'm sure you could get a blower/manifold combo and a discount.

So here's a thread to look forward to come september/october when I get back from kyrgyzstan. I won't be mailing my blower/manifold to him until May. So don't expect any results anytime soon. I still have to hit the track on my current setup. But I won't be adding anything to my car until I get back and get the newly ported products on my car. Then I'll hit the dyno to get an after result WITH tuning of course and you guys will be able to wreak the benefits of mine/stiegemeier's research and money.

So stay tuned. I'm sure they'll be many options popping up by the end of this year.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribed.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:01 PM

cool.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:17 PM

What's involved with porting the manifold?

- cutting one of the faces off (or both)
- hand porting most of the ports
- welding it back up

The part that would make a lot of companies shy away, is the fact that a CNC can't really be used to port this baby... plus the fact that it is a real bitch to mount on a machine table.... I found both of these out the hard way, as I was only able to mill out 2 ports on my machine, and it involved cutting out both faces to do so.

For the average joe with a dremel and a good set of bits, this can be done for under $100, including the re-welding of the faces.
For a company to try to do this, and cover labour costs.... not so feasible.
You'd be looking at ~$400-500 for a port job.... I mean hell... the new manifold I'm designing has a projected cost of under $600... why bother?

Edit:
I just read what I wrote... I know what it sounds like... I'm not trying to sell anything here.... cause I have nothing to sell..
Old 03-15-2008, 07:03 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
i havent looked at a cut away or even in an lsj manifold, however hand porting with a die grinder is always an option. another option would be to get it extrude honed.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 213 Likes on 172 Posts
subscribed, i always wanted a port job from them....
Old 03-15-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subscribed
Old 03-15-2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
i havent looked at a cut away or even in an lsj manifold, however hand porting with a die grinder is always an option. another option would be to get it extrude honed.
I'll be posting something within a week or so.
As soon as you see the inside of this thing, it's pretty obvious why we have a hard time breaking 300 @ the wheel.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Omega_5
What's involved with porting the manifold?

- cutting one of the faces off (or both)
- hand porting most of the ports
- welding it back up

The part that would make a lot of companies shy away, is the fact that a CNC can't really be used to port this baby... plus the fact that it is a real bitch to mount on a machine table.... I found both of these out the hard way, as I was only able to mill out 2 ports on my machine, and it involved cutting out both faces to do so.

For the average joe with a dremel and a good set of bits, this can be done for under $100, including the re-welding of the faces.
For a company to try to do this, and cover labour costs.... not so feasible.
You'd be looking at ~$400-500 for a port job.... I mean hell... the new manifold I'm designing has a projected cost of under $600... why bother?

Edit:
I just read what I wrote... I know what it sounds like... I'm not trying to sell anything here.... cause I have nothing to sell..
I appreciate your info and all the stuff you are working on to get a better manifold. But something as delicate as the manifold itself and how easily you could probably mess it up, I'd rather have a professional do it and pay the money. Honestly, if I pay a rough estimate of 700 dollars and gain like 30-40 hp, then that would mean I paid about 20dollars per 1hp. Which is better than what most people pay when they buy an intake. So if there is more of a gain than that, I'm all for it.

The LSJ is continuing to grow into a huge market. Which is great! Unfortunately, GM had to cancel the production. But with all the new stuff coming out, like the HTV1320, and now new manifold stuff, you might see some decently powered LSJ's running around before long.

Last edited by ralliartist; 03-15-2008 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-15-2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by ralliartist
I appreciate your info and all the stuff you are working on to get a better manifold. But something as delicate as the manifold itself and how easily you could probably mess it up, I'd rather have a professional do it and pay the money.
There isn't really much you can screw up in there.
When I post the pics, you'll see why.
GM did such a stupid casting job... it's beyond ugliness, and is full of things that disturb flow.

I can only compare the stock manifold to a Toyota Tercel... it gets the job done... but would you sink cash into it to go faster?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:05 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
I quickly ported my manifold and did notice a difference. Anyone willing to send me one to play with will get one that I can spend some time on and port well, I'm sure there will be solid gains. I just can't take my car apart for very long to do it, I need it as my everyday driver. I spend about 30 min on it last time I had it off, and there was an improvement from just that. I'd love to spend a couple hours on one.

There isn't really much you can screw up in there.
When I post the pics, you'll see why.
GM did such a stupid casting job... it's beyond ugliness, and is full of things that disturb flow.

I can only compare the stock manifold to a Toyota Tercel... it gets the job done... but would you sink cash into it to go faster?
Yes, I loved my Tercel. It threw flames.

Last edited by ItalianJoe1; 03-15-2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-15-2008, 09:06 PM

I pm'ed you once already italianjoe, did you not get it?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:13 PM

Meh.... here's a few pics of the inside of the stock manifold....

DISCLAIMER: I'm posting these to help the educated users here.... do not try to attempt this with out the proper instruction, or you will destroy your manifold.
With that said, it's not a hard process to port this, I'll have a how to in a few weeks.... wait until then!

Front the front....

From the back...

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
I quickly ported my manifold and did notice a difference.
I'm assuming by 'quickly' you mean ported the outlets, right?

Last edited by Omega_5; 03-15-2008 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-15-2008, 09:15 PM

I plan on doing mine this coming rainy season after show season ends around the end of may! I already did my supercharger>> The inside is as smooth as a Baby's A$$! I will also post up what it does as far as Temps & Gains!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by BlilBT
I will also post up what it does as far as Temps & Gains!
You'll be looking at a 10% drop in temps on a Stage 2 pulley, without a dual pass, and a very hefty increase of flow.
Post cooler boost drops a bit due to the increase of flow, and cooler temps.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:18 PM

wow, I'm totally confused when I look at those pics. I can't even see or grasp how the air flows through the manifold.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:19 PM

wow, I'm totally confused when I look at those pics. I can't even see or grasp how the air flows through the manifold.

Do you mean it's hard to picture... or it's that ugly looking inside?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:23 PM

You'll be looking at a 10% drop in temps on a Stage 2 pulley, without a dual pass, and a very hefty increase of flow.
Yea I'm running 2.8 & Dual Pass & Soon maybe a New Blower!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:28 PM

Do you mean it's hard to picture... or it's that ugly looking inside?
both. How the hell does it flow through all that garbage?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:58 PM

I'm assuming by 'quickly' you mean ported the outlets, right?
Yeah, I'm not ready to cut it apart just yet, still need my car on a daily basis. I just gasket-matched the outlets and smoothed out the inside area leading to them as much as possible in the short time I had. The stock ports on the manifold are smaller than the gasket/head by a decent amount.

I pm'ed you once already italianjoe, did you not get it?
I don't remember seeing one from you, or I would have replied to it. Whats up?

Last edited by ItalianJoe1; 03-15-2008 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-15-2008, 10:02 PM

I asked you what your gains where from doing it and your IAT differences. I also wanted to know how you ported the manifold, but you just explained that.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Yeah, I'm not ready to cut it apart just yet, still need my car on a daily basis. I just gasket-matched the outlets and smoothed out the inside area leading to them as much as possible in the short time I had. The stock ports on the manifold are smaller than the gasket/head by a decent amount.
Oh yeah.. GM royally screwed up this manifold.
As I tell every one.... it was made for the 2.2's as an add on. Not for us 'built for boost' LSJ's.

It took me over a month for figure out the best COA to cut open and port this baby... but now that I know how to, it's only a couple hour job.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:16 AM

I asked you what your gains where from doing it and your IAT differences. I also wanted to know how you ported the manifold, but you just explained that.
Ahh, ok. I haven't been to a dyno or track recently, so theres no way to compare that, and my laptop is still in the possession of the Boynton Beach Police, so no datalogging for me until the case is closed.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:57 AM

Hah, nice pics of your hacked up manifold.
I wondered already how you cut it without disturbing the SC allignment, but now I see the LSJ manifold again it makes sense. With the right tools I think it will be possible to do the work with only one side opened, but 'm looking forward to see yourt How-To.

And very interrested in the result. Logic says that you should see improvements in the high flow (=High RPM) region. But as the M62 is a fixed displacement pump, this mod has more to do with efficiency. On standard LSJ's it will therefore not do that much, but this will significantly improve conditions (lower T) on smaller pulleys. (You can run more timing which brings the power.)
Old 03-17-2008, 12:44 PM

joe why do they have ur laptop? datalogging with the police around again haha.

Quick Reply: Stiegemeier Porting