ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

AWD Swapping a Cobalt, Yeah Its happening.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWD Swapping a Cobalt, Yeah Its happening.

Basically I've set out on this endeaour for the past 6 years With my first car. My cobalt was originally an LS 2.2l L61, I fully forged the engine, installed a Hahn turbo kit, Built the transmission with a quaife LSD etc and I figure I would love it in the end. The project just ended up disappointing me with lack of traction and tuning options besides trifecta.

I'd like to state that anyone who says they'll be happy with a LSD tranny is full of it, also if you say it's a waste of money it would be mostly wrong since I have mostly everything already needed.

it would be pretty hard to replicate this since my method of keeping true wheel alignment involved cutting up the donor cars firewalls and frame rails etc.

I was originally going to use this for an old mustang I had kicking around but the wheelbase and dimensions dont match as perfectly as they do with the cobalt.

The donor car is an Audi A4 1.8T.. Yeah its a worse engine but I'm currently deciding how to go about the whole swap.

I could:

Cheaper initial build

A. Keep the drivetrain together and worry mostly on fitment. (This would mean Id have to built another engine which also has limited tuning options)

B.Use the built l61 with a custom flywheel, clutch and brackets.(This option is tedious and more costly)

I will be posting pictures as the car moves along with its stages, If you have any input on cost efficiency for Option B or suggestions feel free to comment.

(Before you say there is not enough space be aware I'm almost directly replacing the firewall to accommodate mid level Tie rods, brake booster, pedal assembly etc.)
Old 04-10-2018, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Well good luck with the project and keep us posted wouldn't mind seeing a awd cobalt
Old 04-10-2018, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
What he said^^

Good luck.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck dude will be interesting if done right

Lately been joking with my friend to do awd or fwd with honda stuff lol
Old 04-10-2018, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 96 Likes on 91 Posts
I remember when you could find a 4WD chassis under anything..... Now that you can buy an AWD vehicle of your choice it is no longer being done. With today's AWD setups it would be a lot easier than throwing a cobalt body on top of a 4Wd chassis and actually look good.

Looking forward to this.