ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

Ecotec 2.0 LDK swapping into a 240SX S13

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Common master cylinder is to use either the Z32 300zx or R32 skyline master cylinder for when the S13 CMC is insufficient.

Interesting on the speed conversion, is that pretty easy? I could be tempted to run aftermarket speedo if that's easier. It's a race car so I don't give a **** about appearances.

I live in Denver....not exactly close to Vancouver.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by droptoppaul
Common master cylinder is to use either the Z32 300zx or R32 skyline master cylinder for when the S13 CMC is insufficient.

Interesting on the speed conversion, is that pretty easy? I could be tempted to run aftermarket speedo if that's easier. It's a race car so I don't give a **** about appearances.

I live in Denver....not exactly close to Vancouver.
You must be thinking of brake master. 300zx clutch master is the exact same bore as the 240sx (5/8"). The common clutch master to use with T56 swaps (T56s use the same HTOB as the AR5) is an aftermarket Wilwood 3/4" clutch master. I chose the Grand Am master because I prefer to use commonly available parts over universal aftermarket whenever possible.

I'm also running a double DIN Android head unit so I can have custom gauges of my choosing via an OBDII bluetooth adapter. I'm on the hunt for a T5 VSS right now so until then I'm relying on the GPS speedo that my head unit displays.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:36 PM

The speedo buffer on this page is what I used in my swap. Products
The Fiero uses pretty much the exact same setup as the 240sx for the speedo. VSS sine wave goes to the cluster, cluster divides the signal in half and outputs a square wave signal to the stock ECU.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:43 PM

I must be thinking of the R32 clutch master cylinder then. I swapped an RB25 into an S13 years ago, got it running but sold it all off when I didn't have enough throw to disengage the clutch with the wrong CMC. S13 CMC was insufficient to run the RB25 trans SC.

That's a pretty neat device. I might lowball this guy on this engine setup and just swap it in and let the teammates praise me when they see how well it works. Have you driven yours yet? Any "bugs" yet? or track time? What's the plan for your S13?
Old 10-29-2018, 09:53 PM

I must be thinking of the R32 clutch master cylinder then. I swapped an RB25 into an S13 years ago, got it running but sold it all off when I didn't have enough throw to disengage the clutch with the wrong CMC. S13 CMC was insufficient to run the RB25 trans SC.

That's a pretty neat device. I might lowball this guy on this engine setup and just swap it in and let the teammates praise me when they see how well it works. Have you driven yours yet? Any "bugs" yet? or track time? What's the plan for your S13?

Haha its very first drive was a 2-hour drive to Pemberton. All of the bugs so far are tuning related. The tune is way off because of the turbo and injectors etc... I'm waiting until I get my wideband installed to really get into the tuning. But so far it feels very peppy compared to the stock KA. It also boosts a lot faster than I was expecting (I've seen 7psi below 3000 rpm, turbo is a Subaru style TD06).

The T5 first gear is very short with the stock 240sx rear gear ratio. AR5 would be about the same. A V8 T5 would be much more ideal for various reasons but the biggest one is gear ratios. Or if you're going with an AR5 then something like a J30 or Q45 gearset might work better for you. Pretty much the only reason why I went with the V6 T5 was because a buddy gave it to me.

The goal for the car is pretty much street with occasional track use. I wanted to have all the amenities of a daily driver but also quality suspension/steering components. I've got Stance coilovers, every control arm front and rear is poly bushed, cut/welded knuckles for steering angle, J30 front brakes and 5-lug swap.

The shell itself is a rusty one. 487,000 kms and counting!
Old 10-29-2018, 09:56 PM

hehe yeah I wouldn't have that issue, I intend to retain the stock tune at least initially.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:07 PM

By chance do you know the size dimension comparisons of the t5 vs AR5? Seems like a bit of cutting needed to fit the AR5. You used your T5 out of an old camaro? 3rd gen?
Old 10-29-2018, 10:19 PM

By chance do you know the size dimension comparisons of the t5 vs AR5? Seems like a bit of cutting needed to fit the AR5. You used your T5 out of an old camaro? 3rd gen?
I can't speak for the Solstice AR5 for sure, but a T5 is the same length as a Colorado AR5 and its hard to compare shape because the T5 is kinda boxy and the AR5 is more rounded. I'd say the AR5 would probably fit better but I didn't have to do any cutting to put in the T5. The T5 shifter location isn't ideal but I was able to modify an S10 shifter base to make a decent short throw shifter that fit in roughly the factory position. There's absolutely no way an AR5 is bigger than a T56, and T56 swaps don't require the trans tunnel to be cut.

I'm not 100% sure the Solstice AR5 is the same length, but the shifter location would probably sit further back than the stock 240sx shifter, and I don't believe the Solstice tailhousing has a traditional trans mount flange on it, like the Colorado version does. The Colorado version would put the shifter even farther forward than the T5 and would probably prevent using the stock center console and radio position entirely.

The T5 I used was an 86, however pretty much any V6 bellhousing from an 84-02 F-body will work in a similar way to mine. The 93+ F-body transmissions use a different trans-bellhousing bolt pattern which would prevent bolting a V8 T5 to it, but the internals in those ones should have the World Class upgrades making them a bit stronger. The 96+ 3.8 T5s use a HTOB like the AR5 but have the same bellhousing bolt pattern and driver's side starter pocket. One other difference is that the 84-92 V6 T5s use a 14-spline clutch disc, like most FWD GM stuff. The 93+ T5 and all V8 T5s use a 26-spline clutch disc, just like the AR5. So clutches are at least pretty readily available for all types of GM T5. All the T5s, AR5s and T56s use the same pilot tip size as well.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:13 AM

The guy is supposed to call me today about the motor/trans set, which comes with an AR5. The OP here cut his car to fit the AR5, which I was surprised about. I'm not worried about center console or radio....mine's a race car, it has no such conveniences. I just care that ergonomics work so that we can go through gears without ever looking at them.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:38 PM

The guy is supposed to call me today about the motor/trans set, which comes with an AR5. The OP here cut his car to fit the AR5, which I was surprised about. I'm not worried about center console or radio....mine's a race car, it has no such conveniences. I just care that ergonomics work so that we can go through gears without ever looking at them.
I don't see how it's possible that an AR5 needs trans tunnel cutting when an R154 fits just fine and that's basically the same transmission. Apparently also the Soarer R154 shifter fits on an AR5 and is the right length for an S13
Old 11-01-2018, 12:55 PM

Also it looks like pre-07 Solstice AR5 uses a traditional style trans mount that should be easy to make a crossmember for. 07 and up have a side mount that connects between the tailhousing and the differential that would be more painful to adapt.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:03 PM

Just picked up my engine set. Either of you have a spare OEM exhaust manifold? Mine was busted when the donor car was crashed. Got everything you see ecotec related for $500 Includes all wiring/pedals/ecu/driveshaft. 60k miles!

Old 11-05-2018, 07:54 PM

Just picked up my engine set. Either of you have a spare OEM exhaust manifold? Mine was busted when the donor car was crashed. Got everything you see ecotec related for $500 Includes all wiring/pedals/ecu/driveshaft. 60k miles!
Damn! That's a killer price. I had a couple spare OEM exhaust manifolds but since I got my LE5 from a FWD car it points straight at the strut tower in an S13. The Solstice manifold would be way better. Ebay?

Side note, it looks like the Solstice LE5 also comes with a power steering pump? Might be easier to use that instead of fitting on an S13 pump. Just maybe look into putting a restrictor in the pressure line like they do for LS1 swaps as IIRC GM pumps run a higher pressure and don't play nice with the S13 rack seals. Might even be able to get away with a SOHC KA PS pressure line and an adapter fitting rather than making a new line.

The Cobalt throttle pedal I used is exactly like the Solstice pedal but I haven't been particularly fond of it so I'm going to try one from an '06 Grand Prix. It will also be way easier to adapt it to the 240sx pedal mount.

Are you planning on just leaving the tune stock and deleting VATS with HP Tuners?
Old 11-08-2018, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice project Burn, I look forward to your completion.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:28 PM

Got my chassis ready. Using this chassis for mock up purposes. Getting started on mine soon. Think I'll start with notching the subframe to get my clearance situated then start fabricating mounts.
The following users liked this post:
armcclure (11-30-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by caffeine
Damn! That's a killer price. I had a couple spare OEM exhaust manifolds but since I got my LE5 from a FWD car it points straight at the strut tower in an S13. The Solstice manifold would be way better. Ebay?

Side note, it looks like the Solstice LE5 also comes with a power steering pump? Might be easier to use that instead of fitting on an S13 pump. Just maybe look into putting a restrictor in the pressure line like they do for LS1 swaps as IIRC GM pumps run a higher pressure and don't play nice with the S13 rack seals. Might even be able to get away with a SOHC KA PS pressure line and an adapter fitting rather than making a new line.

The Cobalt throttle pedal I used is exactly like the Solstice pedal but I haven't been particularly fond of it so I'm going to try one from an '06 Grand Prix. It will also be way easier to adapt it to the 240sx pedal mount.

Are you planning on just leaving the tune stock and deleting VATS with HP Tuners?
How's your swap doing? Any bugs show up yet?