ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

lsj air to air problem

Old 06-07-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm really interested in this setup..any pics of the manifold off the car
Old 06-07-2009, 09:48 PM

where is he sucking air thru and blowing into if you know what I mean? It looks like what the blower pushes in also recirculates back thru the fmic back into the blower. Or am I way off? lol
Old 06-07-2009, 09:49 PM

Ditch the 90 deg couplers and add hard 90 degree bends and that should help.

Interesting setup! I would think throttle response would be hurt slightly.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Doubtful. I'm actually quite interested in the results here, could be really impressive
im in agreement here. He needs to port the head though. head = #1 restriction, IM = #2 restriction.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:55 PM

RAW had the right idea with how to make an intake for the blower. Someone needs to make that.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by leviticus88
Ditch the 90 deg couplers and add hard 90 degree bends and that should help.

Interesting setup! I would think throttle response would be hurt slightly.
im sure it is a bit. there's probably 10x as much space between the blower and the head as a stock setup has. I Personally would have stuck with a water-air setup and just used a plate/bar or tube/fin intercooler to limit the amount of piping.

Originally Posted by slowswap
RAW had the right idea with how to make an intake for the blower. Someone needs to make that.
very true, but until someone gets some nice CAD drawings made, and actually implements that, this is the best we've got so far.

To Ace: airflow goes from blower to front mount to head. the head being directly under the blower, so the piping looks funny
Old 06-07-2009, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
im sure it is a bit. there's probably 10x as much space between the blower and the head as a stock setup has. I Personally would have stuck with a water-air setup and just used a plate/bar or tube/fin intercooler to limit the amount of piping.

very true, but until someone gets some nice CAD drawings made, and actually implements that, this is the best we've got so far.

To Ace: airflow goes from blower to front mount to head. the head being directly under the blower, so the piping looks funny
You have any links to this topic I bolded? Raw had an idea for an intake manifold? interested!
Old 06-07-2009, 10:06 PM

Ya I understand that but how does it go from sc to fmic to head with the stock IM? Thats where Im getting confused here.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by leviticus88
You have any links to this topic I bolded? Raw had an idea for an intake manifold? interested!
im sure it would show up in a search. the thread was pretty big. They had a few CAD drawings, but they were all pretty rough, and the primaries for the intake manifold intersected with each other. Definitely not a final design. They wanted to take deposits from people before they started making them though, so it never took off the ground
Old 06-07-2009, 10:09 PM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...ntake+mainfold

I don't get why no company has addressed this issue yet??? Are vendors that naive to this problem?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:12 PM

Appreciate it!
Wasn't sure if there was another thread that was newer. lol

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
im sure it would show up in a search. the thread was pretty big. They had a few CAD drawings, but they were all pretty rough, and the primaries for the intake manifold intersected with each other. Definitely not a final design. They wanted to take deposits from people before they started making them though, so it never took off the ground
Gotcha! interesting!

Last edited by leviticus88; 06-07-2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-07-2009, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmm...waited a while to see this happen.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmm...waited a while to see this happen.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:34 PM

click.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:35 PM

what kinda bennifits are u going to get from puting an intercooler on an already cool charge of air besides loosing boost over / going through the intercooler?? i dont understand how u think its going to cool the charge? maby i just dont get it lol.

Turbo car... turbo=drivin by exhaust=super hot= cool the air b4 the motor
Sc car... sc=drivin by belt=gets hot inside the sc no=wtf would u cool the charge b4 u get to the motor?? ur loosin power and the reason for having a sc... throttle responce

Turbo cars use intercoolers because they want to cool the hot air from the exhaust spinnign the propeller which makes ALOT of heat( more exhaust heat = better for a turbo car)... so they have a reason where as if ur using a sc the only place a intercooler would be usefull is after it go's through wher it gets hot( the supercharger) which u would have to make a place for the sc to sit off ot the side and make a custom intake manifold and run piping .. this owuld all be usless and would be better off geting a turbo..
Old 06-07-2009, 10:38 PM

All forced induction should have some kind of cooling. Whether it be water to air or air to air.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by AcesNEights
Ya I understand that but how does it go from sc to fmic to head with the stock IM? Thats where Im getting confused here.
Well, obviously he wouldn't be using a stock (unmodified) intake manifold, now would he?

Originally Posted by nicksredline
what kinda bennifits are u going to get from puting an intercooler on an already cool charge of air besides loosing boost over / going through the intercooler?? i dont understand how u think its going to cool the charge? maby i just dont get it lol.

Sc car... sc=drivin by belt=gets hot inside the sc no=wtf would u cool the charge b4 u get to the motor?? ur loosin power and the reason for having a sc... throttle responce

Turbo cars use intercoolers because they want to cool the hot air from the exhaust spinnign the propeller which makes ALOT of heat( more exhaust heat = better for a turbo car)... so they have a reason where as if ur using a sc the only place a intercooler would be usefull is after it go's through wher it gets hot( the supercharger) which u would have to make a place for the sc to sit off ot the side and make a custom intake manifold and run piping .. this owuld all be usless and would be better off geting a turbo..
Maybe that's because you're blind/can't read. The air comes out of the TVS THEN goes through the FMIC, then enters the head.

I think a Supra Side-Mount might have worked better. Might not have cooled better... but I think it would have flowed better, and would have less piping needed.

Last edited by USMCFieldMP; 06-07-2009 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-07-2009, 11:36 PM

the air to water idea with plate fins style setup was built by the same person who built my air to air setup... it worked great but everyone here siad it still didnt work. so we are trying something else here as well.

im gonna have the shop that tunes my car replace the silicone couplers with solid ones and make this problem go away,

i had a check engine light come on but it was a cam position sensor and we fixed that...

the throttle response is incredible hasnt lost a bit, boost comes on very fast, prob faster than with the m62, but i havnt been tuned yet so i need to wait for final results.

over all the car feels amazing, should be tuned by friday will post results
Old 06-07-2009, 11:50 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts

You need to do some reading on how forced induction works. It's not the exhaust that heats the air, it's the compressing of it.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:07 AM

If people cannot see the benefits of swapping to something like this then they need to start doing some research. The TVS flows enough CFM's to surpass what the stock intake manifold can cool effectively and still pass air into the engine. GM had a great design, but a better flowing IM will help out tremendously if you have actually seen the ports that the air is crammed through. Not to mention there is no hot coolant involved in an air-to-air setup, so you end up with cooler intake temps. This all then relates to better flow to the head, cooler temps, and being able to run more timing for more power. **** I haven't even scratched the surface here as to the benefits.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so someone finally did it ..lol i never really had a car to test it on nor the fab tools to do it but i've talked about this for ages lol but yes you need to optimize that piping weld it together or at least take out the 90 couplers and use t bolt clamps if you're having a vac leak it could be due to the worm clamps not holding
Old 06-08-2009, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
If people cannot see the benefits of swapping to something like this then they need to start doing some research. The TVS flows enough CFM's to surpass what the stock intake manifold can cool effectively and still pass air into the engine. GM had a great design, but a better flowing IM will help out tremendously if you have actually seen the ports that the air is crammed through. Not to mention there is no hot coolant involved in an air-to-air setup, so you end up with cooler intake temps. This all then relates to better flow to the head, cooler temps, and being able to run more timing for more power. **** I haven't even scratched the surface here as to the benefits.
In a proper water to air setup, the air to air will never touch the amount of cooling a water to air setup can provide. And what do you mean hot coolant. You're such a noob it isn't even funny.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:29 AM

Am I the only one that thinks this makes very little sense at all?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:26 AM

im getting excited. its gonna be a great week. the air to air setup will be fine. its gonna cool the charge just fine. as it sits now. the left side of the piping( the hot side) is actually warm. from regular driving. the right side is cool to the touch like a can of soda. its works great and i havnt even gotten into boost yet. im excited to see how this turns out. also ive got to cut some of my bumper to make everything sit a bit more flush. ill get some more pics and a writup soon
Old 06-08-2009, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slowswap
In a proper water to air setup, the air to air will never touch the amount of cooling a water to air setup can provide. And what do you mean hot coolant. You're such a noob it isn't even funny.
while correct water to air will stay heat soaked for longer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lsj air to air problem