Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   ADVANCED Performance Modifications (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/advanced-performance-modifications-130/)
-   -   A new idea for PCV (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/advanced-performance-modifications-130/new-idea-pcv-315019/)

Ukchilll 01-04-2015 03:08 PM

A new idea for PCV

hi all,
Quite new on here but to keep it brief, what do you guys think of this idea for getting rid of the crankcase pressure

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/...psc5c5ea6a.jpg

I am currently running a 2.2 ecotec with following mods

B207 with 2.2 crank, forged pistons and rods stage 2 LSJ cams,lightened flywheel and balancer delete, home build with vocky input on Dutch ECU software m62 3.1 pulley ported head, now also putting dbilas springs in, 630cc injectors

This month I will soon be adding a Harrop and LS4 Tb and 3" exhaust but would like to get your thoughts on the Pcv system idea before I do the upgrades as I'm currently getting a lot of oily deposits in my intake system and supercharger and probably the intake laminovas are covered
Cheers and look forward to hearing thoughts

Slowbalt2000 01-04-2015 03:26 PM

My buddy has a setup similar to this on his mazdaspeed6. Do you have a cat?

Ukchilll 01-04-2015 03:34 PM

No CAT essentially a trackday car

Ukchilll 01-04-2015 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000 (Post 7466800)
My buddy has a setup similar to this on his mazdaspeed6. Do you have a cat?

Does it work well

Axelthered05 01-04-2015 07:38 PM

its been done
summit racing sells a kit for it
"Moroso Crankcase Evacuation Systems 25900"
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-25900

TStone 01-04-2015 07:51 PM

Works well if setup properly.... but for the line going to the catch can, were you planning on putting a fitting on your oil pan? If so, I wouldn't recommend that. I would go off the nipple on the back of the VC orrrrrr run one of those oil cap fittings

Powell Race Parts 01-04-2015 07:56 PM

exhaust evacuation of blow by gasses. as Axletherod05 says, has been done. Not that successfully in my experience. The problem with any VTA system that you are creating, is that you have to tune around what is basically a massive air leak. You are not drawing any vacuum because you are venting the rocker cover to the air. You would have to make a few holes some place to follow your idea in the drawing, but why dont you try it and see how it works for you? Let us know how it works out.

PS you want vacuum not pressure in the crankcase. Makes more power that way.

Ukchilll 01-05-2015 12:58 AM

Thanks for all your replies

My thinking was that because of the vacuum from the exhaust it would automatically pull air in from the cam cover to replace what is being pulled out
In effect you are creating a motion of fresh air which is dragging all the crank gasses out almost straight away

So giving the engine fresh air when ever air is pulled out creating a open system rather than sealed oem one.

Tuning around this is not a issue

Ukchilll 01-05-2015 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by TStone (Post 7467060)
Works well if setup properly.... but for the line going to the catch can, were you planning on putting a fitting on your oil pan? If so, I wouldn't recommend that. I would go off the nipple on the back of the VC orrrrrr run one of those oil cap fittings

I was going to put a valve in to empty the catch tank back in to the sump after oil and crankcase gasses have separated when ever necessary

But as the crankcase gasses in theory are not building up in the system I'm not expecting much oil to get to the catch tank

Ukchilll 01-05-2015 10:23 AM

Watch this space I'm going to give it a go

riceburner 01-05-2015 11:17 AM

i tried something similar on mine; gutted the valve cover, tapped a new hole and plugged the other one, and ran the tube right to the exhaust post cat at a 30ish degree angle. we were hoping to increase horsepower this way. it didn't work well; i had a funky idle but that could have been related to something else. but yea it didn't really pull anything through.

Ukchilll 01-05-2015 11:46 AM

I've read it's got to be 43-45 degrees to work

riceburner 01-05-2015 03:09 PM

oh. or whatever angle it was i forget but pretty sure we had it right haha

mrbelvedere 01-10-2015 10:17 AM

all you need to do is to run a -10 from a vent on the valve cover to a good air/oil seperator then a -10 from the air/oil seperator to the air intake

Powell Race Parts 01-14-2015 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere (Post 7470604)
all you need to do is to run a -10 from a vent on the valve cover to a good air/oil seperator then a -10 from the air/oil seperator to the air intake

Making a dash ten ( large, expensive) hose from a vent which has a 4 mm internal orifice in the rocker cover makes zero sense to me.

mrbelvedere 01-14-2015 11:11 PM

nothing that works makes sense to you and -10 isent that expensive

Ukchilll 01-15-2015 10:05 AM

Wouldent speeding up and slowing down air flow help separation ?

Josh@ottp 01-15-2015 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ukchilll (Post 7466789)
hi all,
Quite new on here but to keep it brief, what do you guys think of this idea for getting rid of the crankcase pressure

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/...psc5c5ea6a.jpg

I am currently running a 2.2 ecotec with following mods

B207 with 2.2 crank, forged pistons and rods stage 2 LSJ cams,lightened flywheel and balancer delete, home build with vocky input on Dutch ECU software m62 3.1 pulley ported head, now also putting dbilas springs in, 630cc injectors

This month I will soon be adding a Harrop and LS4 Tb and 3" exhaust but would like to get your thoughts on the Pcv system idea before I do the upgrades as I'm currently getting a lot of oily deposits in my intake system and supercharger and probably the intake laminovas are covered
Cheers and look forward to hearing thoughts

The system design looks good but if you are running a full exhaust it will work poorly. The evac fitting at the header is designed for open headers or a short pipe after them. Another option is that you could use an electric air pump instead of the evac fitting.

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts (Post 7467064)
exhaust evacuation of blow by gasses. as Axletherod05 says, has been done. Not that successfully in my experience. The problem with any VTA system that you are creating, is that you have to tune around what is basically a massive air leak. You are not drawing any vacuum because you are venting the rocker cover to the air. You would have to make a few holes some place to follow your idea in the drawing, but why dont you try it and see how it works for you? Let us know how it works out.

PS you want vacuum not pressure in the crankcase. Makes more power that way.

It's not connected to the air intake in anyway. So there would be no air leak there or any extra tuning.

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere (Post 7470604)

This also works good. Keeps the oil out of the intake.