All Cars Café The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat about all cars.

2004 Saturn Ion Redline - Nice Price or Crack Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Saturn Ion Redline - Nice Price or Crack Pipe?

I've been following the Cobalt SS/Saturn Ion Redline scene for a while now. I've always had an interest in these cars. Tonight I found a guy online selling a 2004 Saturn Ion Redline for $3200. I need some help to determine if it sounds like a good deal.

Specs:
2004 Ion Redline - Black
Body has 138,000 - motor has about 93,000
The first motor was replaced at 135,000 after becoming hydrolocked. Was replaced with a used motor with around 87,000 miles at the time. Owner has paperwork to show work was performed by the shop with all parts itemized.
Has a stage 2 package from ZZP (with paperwork)
Magnaflow exhaust
Clutch replaced about 10,000 miles ago (supposedly with paperwork)
Has aftermarket wheels (Enkei?)
Tuned for E85 gas - running 10psi boost
Car has clean title

Car feels strong. Drove well and had good power.

The bad:
No A/C. Not sure if it needs a recharge or parts replaced
Windshield is cracked
Probably needs rear brakes
Could use a front end alignment
Runs slightly rough at idle. Owner thinks it might need a new coil pack soon?

What do you guys think? Decent price? Anything I should be cautious of or specifically look for?

Also, is 5th gear weird in these cars? Seems like most cars, I push the shifter all the way to the right and then up. On this car, I had to come back about 1/2 inch before going up into 5th gear. Also, it seemed to still run high RPMs in 5th gear. Like 2K at 55mph. Is that normal?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2017, 09:59 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
the shifter can be kinda of wierd, reverse isnt straight down from 5th, its further right. the stock shifter has a reverse lockout that you have to pull up on to get it into reverse and its supposed to act as a stop for pushing the shifter too far over when going 4th to 5th. some aftermarket shifters dont have the lockout, or like my car, the gate was cut off when i bought it. not a big issue, usually you just get used to it or you could replace the shifter.

5th gear is kinda short, at 65 ish mph is around 2500rpm. its a performance 4 cylinder, they like to rev and are geared as such.

the idle quality is dependent on the tune, being its on e85 it likely has huge injectors and that can make for a bit of a rough idle. also 10psi sounds a little low, but there are lots of things that can factor into that, like factory boost gauges being inaccurate, along with pulley size, exhaust mods, etc.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The shifter can be adjusted to where you don't have to come back for 5th. My car was the same way when I bought it.

The price doesn't seem bad but you're also looking at probably at least 500 in repairs (that you know of). I don't know what they go for around you but someone was just selling one around me that was bone stock with 90k miles for 2800.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:15 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Sounds like a project car. I would look for another. Or buy my redline once I'm done.