Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   All Cars Café (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/all-cars-caf%E9-195/)
-   -   Anyone here have an M6 Chevy SS? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/all-cars-caf%E9-195/anyone-here-have-m6-chevy-ss-323407/)

TITAN12 01-13-2017 10:15 AM

Anyone here have an M6 Chevy SS?

Thinking about ordering a '17 M6 Chevy SS. Does anyone here happen to have one and can give me some feedback? I'm also considering a Charger Scatpack...

FLASH1970 01-13-2017 10:30 AM

im guessing nobody here has one. a chevy ss is basically a Pontiac g8 which is basically a 5th gen Camaro which is basically a holden commodore all of which were discontinued a couple years ago, then they brought back the chassis and driveline for the SS. so im assuming handling characteristics will be very similar between all those cars. the platform and driveline have been around for a while so im sure aftermarket parts are plentiful. id check forums based on those cars for ideas, feedback...

exninja 01-13-2017 10:35 AM

I was surprised a 2017 SS exists. I thought they had already pulled the plug. Looks like Holden is actually shutting down this year so it's likely now or never. Unless all the police forces unite and demand it, I don't see 4-door RWD cars happening again. Shame really.

TITAN12 01-13-2017 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by FLASH1970 (Post 7635535)
im guessing nobody here has one. a chevy ss is basically a Pontiac g8 which is basically a 5th gen Camaro which is basically a holden commodore all of which were discontinued a couple years ago, then they brought back the chassis and driveline for the SS. so im assuming handling characteristics will be very similar between all those cars. the platform and driveline have been around for a while so im sure aftermarket parts are plentiful. id check forums based on those cars for ideas, feedback...

The SS's are actually based on the Commodore VF which is essentially a whole new generation from the VE which is what the G8 was based on. The handling characteristics tend to be very different and the '15+ SS's all have Magnetic ride...

I am on those forums as well, just checking to see if anyone here has any experience with one...

FLASH1970 01-13-2017 10:56 AM

the ss is based on the zeta GM chassis. wouldn't call it a whole new generation... its been around for a while. didn't know about the magnetic ride on the newer ss cars. that's kind of cool. im not sure what a G8 GXP is going for nowadays, but im guessing it's 10-15 grand less than the SS and it's the same frame, engine, trans... im sure the SS has a nicer interior and a few more tech features, and the mag suspension though.

I agree with exninja. ive seen one SS (and I thought it was a Malibu at first glance) compared to umpteen thousand chargers on the road so im thinking Gm will kill it off soon.

slapbetcommissioner 01-13-2017 11:04 AM

It's too bad they won't send it out with a bang. And do like a limited run ZL1 or something like the 1LE with the newer variant of the 6.2 in it with the full 460

FLASH1970 01-13-2017 11:07 AM

or at least put the new LT1 DI engine in it...

TITAN12 01-13-2017 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by FLASH1970 (Post 7635544)
or at least put the new LT1 DI engine in it...

If it had an LT1 instead of the LS3 that's in it, I wouldn't even be considering the Charger ScatPack....

Snail_SS 01-13-2017 11:16 AM

That's honestly the car I want to get didn't know they where making a 17 model

hawkssoccer11 01-13-2017 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by TITAN12 (Post 7635532)
Thinking about ordering a '17 M6 Chevy SS. Does anyone here happen to have one and can give me some feedback? I'm also considering a Charger Scatpack...

My dad and i test drove an R/T scat pak. He really liked the car and the performance it had but he has a really bad back and to him it rode rough. to me it was a little stiff but what do expect from a performance sedan honestly lol. I say go with the SS MT6 becasuse they are going to be hard to find since they are being discontinued and the manuals were only made 2-3 years. But i will also say this, an LS engine and trans will take much better to mods the the 6.4 hemi will.

Originally Posted by FLASH1970 (Post 7635540)
the ss is based on the zeta GM chassis. wouldn't call it a whole new generation... its been around for a while. didn't know about the magnetic ride on the newer ss cars. that's kind of cool. im not sure what a G8 GXP is going for nowadays, but im guessing it's 10-15 grand less than the SS and it's the same frame, engine, trans... im sure the SS has a nicer interior and a few more tech features, and the mag suspension though.

I agree with exninja. ive seen one SS (and I thought it was a Malibu at first glance) compared to umpteen thousand chargers on the road so im thinking Gm will kill it off soon.

The G8 GXP Auto is a very very hard car to find let alone a 6MT (Damn near impossible anymore lol) and when you do the people want 30-40k for them. they are also out of warranty so if OP wants a warranty then id be going with the SS and its only a couple grand more. If thats the case also get a CTS-V V2 for around 40k lol.

Bass_Waves 01-14-2017 12:04 PM

Lol

Guys. It's an impala limited. Badges as a SS. It's a holden commodore but in the US it's a Impala Limited. Has the lt1 now which is the same as the new camaro.

cluelessk 01-14-2017 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bass_Waves (Post 7635676)
Guys. It's an impala limited. Badges as a SS. It's a holden commodore but in the US it's a Impala Limited. Has the lt1 now which is the same as the new camaro.

No it's model name is SS. It uses an LS3.

TITAN12 01-15-2017 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by cluelessk (Post 7635684)
No it's model name is SS. It uses an LS3.

Exactly...it's got an LS3, not an LT1 and it's not based on the Impala platform, it's based on the Holden Commodore VF platform (which is completely different from the Impala and Malibu).