All Cars Café The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat about all cars.

so i bought a porsche.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 04:32 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
Sorry can't share the price. The shop I work for shares a shop with Forcefed performance, they worked with BD turbo to hook me up with a killer price.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I understand they're selling for $2k shipped the one I need and don't think there is a way of getting anything better.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow that's a big f***en turbo
Old 03-27-2015, 12:39 AM

lol yes, yes it is. go big or go home, right?

i couldnt find anything online cheaper than $2k usd for the 7670. i have seen the smaller frame efr's for a little cheaper. they are expensive, but if you think about an s200 or s300 with a billet wheel upgrade, there is only a couple hundred bucks difference. and like i said before, you can save the cost of an external wastegate.

and the efr is just oh so worth it. working with forcefed performance, they have put several 9180s on 2 rotors. their own test bed (fc rx7) ran a 9180 with twin external gates and a 1.05 a/r twin scroll exhaust housing. it was fully spooled at 4500rpm, and spooled up hard. last year it was putting down 630 whp and 500ft/lb. this year they have changed to a large runner manifold, a .92 a/r internal gate exhaust housing. they are waiting for a high boost wastegate actuator to come in, however its putting down 520whp at 15psi, and gained 80ft/lb in some areas. on the street, it spools up instantly on command, almost supercharger like boost response.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:47 AM

little more progress in the last couple days. installed the new aem 380lph fuel pump. its quite a nice unit, its based off the bosche 044 pump, but has a -10 inlet and -6 outlet instead of the hard to find metric stuff. it also flows more than the 044. i hooked it to the stock fuel lines, in the future i may need to go up to 1/2 feed and 3/8 return line (front the current 3/8 and 5/16), but thats something ill do when it becomes an issue.

played around with the throttle cable, something this intake manifold was never designed to work with. to clear everything i ended up having to feed the cable down the slot between #1 and #2 runners. ill have pics of it when its hooked up.

also got a coolant tank tack welded together today. its a flow through design to help with air separation.

gonna have one of the guys at the shop weld it up for me. i can weld aluminum, sort of, but id rather someone that does it all the time weld up the stuff that can leak fluids.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:48 AM

still picking away slowly at it. spent a bit of time trying to get the water neck to work, the end result is i spent a bunch of time and re-engineered half the cooling system to "simplify" it. ive gotten rid of the thermostat housing mounted on near the transmission, all that is in that spot is the block outlet for the heater core. also, the transfer tube from the thermostat to the water pump is gone. im going to weld an elbow directly to the back of the water pump cover and ive got a remote thermostat housing to attach to that. ill now have the water inlet at the front of the engine, and a lot less clutter at the back, clearing up more room for the downpipe. ill have some pics of it all when i get some more done.

got a few more cool parts. finally found a 944 turbo rear valance. its funny how i can buy one brand new and have it shipped from United Kingdom for the same price i can buy a beat up used one in north america. my clutch is ready to be shipped, more info on that when i get it.

i also ordered the ecu ill be running. ive decided against a megasquirt this time. ive always had good luck with the megasquirt, however when i looked at the cost of upgrading the one i had to an ms3 i started looking around at other options. the shop i work for shares a building with a shop that specializes in rotary and 2jz engines (also have an in house dyno), i have some people with a lot of tuning experience, and i went with their stand alone of choice: Microtech. microtech is a company out of australia, and their ecus control some of the fastest imports in the world. they are not just pure race computers, they are very street friendly. we selected the lt9c version. ill be putting a 60-2 trigger wheel on the crank pulley as it doesnt work with the factory 7x trigger wheel. ive got a set of 2.4l coils and id750 injectors. ive modified the l61 cable throttle body so i can run a 2 wire ford iac valve (the microtech doesnt run a gm 4 wire iac). microtech also makes a really cool dash unit, it can be used as replacement for a factory cluster as it includes gps speedo and an odometer. ill likely add that in the future, along with their egt add on module.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:13 AM

a couple pics of my cooling system mods in progress

so thats all thats left of the bulky factory thermostat housing. all it does is feed the heater core and gives a bypass route for the coolant when the thermostat is closed.

and there is what ive started fabbing for the water inlet. on the bottom of that elbow is the new remote thermostat housing, i decided instead if having it inline that i would just weld it on. once welded up ill put in a temp sensor, turbo coolant return and heater core return fittings. initially i was going to have it farther forward however it was getting a little tight in the area i need to feed the charge pipe through.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:07 AM

work has been pretty kaotic the last couple weeks, but ive managed to pick away at the car. the engine is back out of the car, ive fixed the issues i had with my bellhousing adapter plate. the oil pan is half welded up, same with the coolant neck. right now im working on mounting the crank trigger wheel and crank sensor,

it was like christmas today when a fresh batch of goodies from australia showed up.

i wasnt planning to put the dash unit in right now, however the guys at forcefed brought an extra one in, so twisted my arm. its a pretty cool unit.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:36 AM

so the project is officially on hold. ive been working on the car in the evenings and on the weekends, however i dont get those anymore. the project we are currently building for centerforce clutches has had the deadline moved up, so im back to working 12+ hour days, 7 days a week. after a week of not being able to work on it, and getting depressed over it, i put it away in storage. out of site, out of mind. kinda lol.

i did have an early day today, and did manage to spend a couple hours to get the crank trigger setup built

its pretty basic, just a 60-2 trigger wheel and a bosch vw style crank sensor (could even be the same as the stock porsche sensors). the reason i went with this is the pre 2007 ecotec used a gm 7x (also known as 6-1) crank trigger wheel. i could have used this with a gm dis setup as i did with the megasquirt, however i will be running coil on plug, and the microtech doesnt support the 7x trigger wheel. they could have made a custom ecm for it, however id rather use a tried and true ecm, and the 58x is far higher resolution.

decided to do some shopping tonight. i ordered an aem water/methanol injection kit, a set of id850 injectors, some gaskets and seals, silicone couplers for the charge pipes, and while i was at it, a fuel pump and rewire kit for my daily driver (cobalt ss supercharged, puts down 275hp and 260lb/ft at the ground). the only things i havent got covered parts wise is exhaust and charge pipes, however all that stuff is easily attainable locally. hopefully in a few week ill have some time to start putting the car together.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:33 PM

cars still on hold, but i havent stopped buying parts lol. most of the stuff i had on order has showed up, going to place an order for the the last bit of stuff i need (mufflers, some v bands) and then just need to get the stainless tubing for exhaust and charge pipes. and in the mean time, i bought a set of wheels and tires

they are an older set of dp enduros. sort of a period correct wheel for the car, they were a little more common in the early 90s. they are 3 piece 17x7.5 and 17x9, tires are 225/50zr17 and 235/45zr17. planning to put the 235 on the front and get a pair of 255 for the rear
Old 07-25-2015, 10:50 PM

after 2 months i got a chance to pull the car back out and continue working on it. didnt get a lot done, more organizing and seeing what i still need to order. none the less, got the microtech dash mounted, shifter modded with a hurst pistol grip handle, and of coarse got my wheels and tires on the car finally.

ive got a good size pile of parts sitting here for it now, ive been collecting stuff the whole time the car was on hold. i still dont have my clutch, its ready to ship though. the only other thing i need is some plumbing odds and ends and the stainless for the exhaust and charge pipes.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:50 AM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
It looks so good!
Old 07-27-2015, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Looks awesome man. Keep up the good work
Old 07-27-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
need moar pics! LOVE Porsche's and it is awesome to see one that isn't as popular get some love!
Old 08-06-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by buildmeanempire
Haha my brother in law has the same exact car. He says it will blow the doors of an LNF.
if it's stock, your brother in law is on crack..

cool car btw!
Old 08-07-2015, 12:03 AM

lol yea, stock non turbo isnt gonna win any drag races. even a turbo s2 is nothing special by todays standards.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:50 AM

finally have an oil pan finished. this has been one of the things ive been working on since i first set the engine in the car. this is one of the things ive had to rely on other people for as i dont weld aluminum (at least well enough to build an oil pan). i had the flange water jet cut out of 3/8" aluminum and the pan was bent up by the same shop. had one of the guys in my shop weld it up, just took forever to get it done.

now i bet most of you are scratching your heads on the oil pickup. because of the lack of height in the front of the pan (its only 3/4" from the flange to the bottom of the pan in the front, just enough to clear the main bolts) i decided to go with an external pickup. the pickup in the sump is for a big block chrysler, its very common for them to run an external oil pickup because the pumps are external and it bypasses the restrictive oil pickup in the block. its feeding through the -12 an line to the front of the pan, were i have a fitting tapped into the pan rail to go into the suction port in the block. the pan holds 5 quarts, i figure with the large external filter, hoses, and oil cooler oil capacity will be somewhere around 6 1/2 to 7 quarts.

i also picked up a couple other goodies

when i built this engine way back i didnt get to put a decent set of cams in it. the car i built it for had a stock long block with a pair of level zero motorsports tri-flow cams. they worked ok, but in that engine, however they are regrinds. i put them in the new engine with the bates springs, and it turned out that the lash adjusters didnt have enough preload and i had horrendous valvetrain noise (for a hydraulic cam engine). took them out and put stock cams in. so in go a set of comp turbo cams, should help out a bit.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

Arent triflow jbp cams?
Old 08-22-2015, 01:28 AM

the original triflow cams were done by clayton at level zero motorsports, jbp ripped off the specs. clayton was doing them in 2003, at that time im not even sure comp had any cams out for the ecotec.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:45 PM

got the cams installed last night, and painted the engine today

got a good pile of parts to get powdercoated before i can finish assembling the engine.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:24 PM

couldnt resist setting the turbo on it for a couple pics

Old 08-31-2015, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

Holy hell! Looks awesome
Old 09-12-2015, 11:53 PM

thanks

not much of an update on. with the SEMA show around the corner (6 ish weeks away) i wont have time to even glance at the car. we have 2 major projects to build for the show, at this point, one is almost ready to break down for paint, and the other is in the metalwork stage. for the last 2 weeks ive been doing 12 hour days 7 days a week, soon to step that up to 16-18 hour days as we are waaay behind.

that being said, ive still managed to plan and buy most of the parts for a big brake upgrade. it started off with me getting a pair of rx7 4 piston front calipers. a common rear brake upgrade is to use the factory 944 turbo front calipers on the rear when going with larger front calipers, such as the 993 big red calipers. because of the cost of the 944 turbo calipers (around $350-400 each) the v8 swap guys got creative and found that an rx7 4 piston caliper uses the same size pistons and mounts similarly, and costs under $100 per caliper. add in a simple bracket, 944 turbo rotor, its a cheap and easy rear brake upgrade.

the front is a little more complex. there are 5 different front suspension designs in the 944 (83-86 n/a, 86 turbo, 87+ n/a, 87+ turbo, m030 sport package) using 3 different hubs, 3 different control arms, 2 different strut bolt patterns, 5 different spindles, and 2 different suspension offsets. the most common stuff as far as upgrades go is 87+ n/a, its the strongest spindle and most common setup as far as wanting to upgrade (both 87+ turbo and m030 sport package have very good brakes stock). however my car being an 85.5 n/a, there isnt much for good brake upgrades without switching to 87+ suspension (and that means changing the wheel offset, from +18mm to +53mm). i have however got something worked out, i found some rotor hats for 2 piece rotors to fit my early model hubs. ill be running wilwood superlite rotors, 12.19" diamater, 1.25" thick. clamping them is a set of lexus ls430 calipers. the ls430 calipers are forged aluminum mono block 4 piston, and radial mount to boot, a pretty wicked piece for an oem car. reman calipers are only $125 with core charge, however i grabbed a good set of cores for $150 and have rebuild kits on order. im going to powdercoat them, so may as well rebuild them myself. i do have to make a caliper mounting bracket, however ive got all the diagrams for it as it has already been done and is a proven swap. many 944 guys use the 87+ suspension and use boxster s rotors (318mm) with the ls430 calipers, its known to be a brake setup to slam unsuspecting passengers into the dash face first.

for anyone not wanting to read all that
ls430 front calipers
wilwood 2 piece superlite rotors, 12.19" x 1.25"
rx7 front calipers on the rear
944 turbo rear rotors, 11.8"
wilwood 1" bore tandem master cylinder, no booster.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:13 AM

well sema is a couple weeks past, our 2 builds both got derailed and things are just slowing down a bit now. hoping ill have some updates soon.

a small update, i have a clutch disc on route that should work with my current spec 3+ pressure plate and fidenza flywheel. ive also got the slave cylinder that ill be using, its from a 2005-2012 mustang. all i should have to do is figure out my depth from the pressure plate to the back of the bellhousing, make a spacer/mount for the slave and it can all go together and the motor can go in the car.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds exciting man

Quick Reply: so i bought a porsche.......