Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Appearance (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/appearance-48/)
-   -   Hood Ideas (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/appearance-48/hood-ideas-324250/)

double clutch 05-16-2017 08:40 PM

Hood Ideas

So basically during a log, my charge pipe flew off and dented the hell out of my hood. Ended up cracking the paint as well. Long story short, I got quoted 550+ to repair and paint this hood or 650+ to get a new oem hood and paint to match. Another option is to get an oem style carbon fiber hood which is about 700ish shipped. Im not into all those hoods with scoops and vents so that would not be an option. Ive also already checked locally and in for sale groups for black hoods with no results that are close. Im pretty anal about it being perfect anyways so getting something used might just disappoint me. What are your guys thoughts? Thinking maybe just go carbon fiber, but I don't want to rice it out.

Snail_SS 05-16-2017 08:56 PM

Well since your car is black I think the C.F might look good

zeeky420 05-16-2017 09:01 PM

You can probaly get one cheap at junk yard then go get it repainted by it self for cheaper then new or C.F

Tdubbs 05-16-2017 09:41 PM

I'll agree with Snail, the cf would look pretty good. If you didn't mind spending extra cash on that you could always paint the cf hood to match the car. I know that's blasphemy to some, but a lot of supercars come that way and it looks good, definitley not cheap though.

Otherwise, I'd get a new stocker painted. I'm usually against used parts unless I have no choice, but that's just me.

double clutch 05-16-2017 11:05 PM

Yea if i go to a junk yard I will basically be in the same boat because they will still have to do body work on it.

I am entertaining the idea of carbon fiber. Most likely wont paint at least for now because of cost. Is the clear coat more tempermental on carbon fiber? I feel like I've seen a ton of hoods and trunks with flaking and scuffed clear coat.

Snail_SS 05-17-2017 08:08 AM

That's another thing I was thinking about you would probably need to get the CF hood clear coated again

Tdubbs 05-17-2017 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by double clutch (Post 7649029)
Yea if i go to a junk yard I will basically be in the same boat because they will still have to do body work on it.

I am entertaining the idea of carbon fiber. Most likely wont paint at least for now because of cost. Is the clear coat more tempermental on carbon fiber? I feel like I've seen a ton of hoods and trunks with flaking and scuffed clear coat.

From what I've seen/heard carbon fiber does need some good maintenance to keep it looking good, as baking in the sun will cause the clear/glaze to fade and it starts to look like hell. I love the look of carbon, and when it's cared for it looks fantastic, just requires some extra love.

double clutch 05-17-2017 09:18 AM

Eddie, I just noticed you were a mod now. Congrats

I guess Ill just have to wax the balls out of it. Does anyone know if I really do need the hood pins? The flush style doesn't look terrible, but if the hood isnt going to fly off the latch, I'd rather not get them.

Snail_SS 05-17-2017 10:34 AM

Thanks man! I'm sure the waxing will help protect that clear coat. Not really sure about the hood pins tho

63 Nova SS 05-17-2017 01:12 PM

I love some of the carbon hoods. However I'm not a fan of them on a black car. Every other car looks good. Black cars I think look like primered hoods until you get close to them.

double clutch 05-17-2017 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS (Post 7649083)
I love some of the carbon hoods. However I'm not a fan of them on a black car. Every other car looks good. Black cars I think look like primered hoods until you get close to them.

That was one of my concerns. Every pic I see looks as if it is just primer. I was hoping that the clear coat would give it away when seeing it in person.

63 Nova SS 05-17-2017 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If I got a hood for my black car I was just gonna go gelcoat and have it pained to match. Black is easy to match. Was gonna run me $250 to shoot it. Just never did it. Personally the rk sport ran air hood with the small scoop I think looks the best as it's not hideous. My fav, not my car.

63 Nova SS 05-17-2017 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also love the suncoast but don't know if it's made anymore. Hate the big scoops on a little car. I think they should have come from the factory with something subtle to go with the wing on the back and ground effects.

Snail_SS 05-17-2017 09:33 PM

Those two look really good

double clutch 05-17-2017 10:14 PM

The rk sport is the only one I saw that caught my eye. The price isnt too much higher to go that route.

decisions....decisions

too bad adrian sold that rk sport carbon fiber hood. I totally would have picked that up for 800